DEVO 10 Simplified Mixer GUI

More
12 Dec 2012 19:50 #3945 by quique65
DEVO 10 Simplified Mixer GUI was created by quique65
Hello,

I've just seen the simplified Mixer GUI made by suvsuv and, in my opinion, it's a really usefull and great addition to the firmware.

PB, are you planing to introduce this GUI in the new release?.

If not, I hope that suvsuv will continue the development and will release a specific version for DEVO 10 users.

Congratulations for the excellent work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2012 20:20 #3947 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic DEVO 10 Simplified Mixer GUI
Suvsuv hasn't asked me about it, so I don't have much to say.
But it will likely depend on a few things.
If/When the gui is available for all models supported by Deviation, and suvsuv wants it to be included, I'll likely do so. Since models are not really compatible (the firmware supports both, but a given ini is either one or the other) I don't plan to support it until it is possible for the model files to work on all tx running Deviation.
I also haven't done a code review, but I don't expect that to be a big issue unless suvsuv has completely changed his coding style with his fork.

More
12 Dec 2012 21:57 #3954 by quique65
Replied by quique65 on topic DEVO 10 Simplified Mixer GUI
Hi,
reading your answer, and mixing it with the feeling that I could draw from your comments and the work made with both of you in the firmware and in the support of this forum, I'm sure that the alternative GUI will be available.

Amazing people and amazing job.

More
12 Dec 2012 23:16 #3956 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic DEVO 10 Simplified Mixer GUI
My opinion is we don't need it. A simplified interface just allows you to skip the learning curve. Learning something, anything, is good for you. Don't be lazy (not directed at someone in particular, but people tend to be lazy, apologies if you feel insulted, but it's a truth).

Now technical reasons, not having it means more RAM and ROM for other nice things. Maybe a separate release would cut it, but that's extra work, and if I'd be in PB's shoes I wouldn't do it.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

More
12 Dec 2012 23:41 #3958 by quique65
Replied by quique65 on topic DEVO 10 Simplified Mixer GUI

sbstnp wrote: My opinion is we don't need it. A simplified interface just allows you to skip the learning curve. Learning something, anything, is good for you. Don't be lazy (not directed at someone in particular, but people tend to be lazy, apologies if you feel insulted, but it's a truth).

Now technical reasons, not having it means more RAM and ROM for other nice things. Maybe a separate release would cut it, but that's extra work, and if I'd be in PB's shoes I wouldn't do it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

More
13 Dec 2012 00:23 - 13 Dec 2012 00:29 #3960 by suvsuv
Replied by suvsuv on topic DEVO 10 Simplified Mixer GUI

PhracturedBlue wrote: Suvsuv hasn't asked me about it, so I don't have much to say.
But it will likely depend on a few things.
If/When the gui is available for all models supported by Deviation, and suvsuv wants it to be included, I'll likely do so. Since models are not really compatible (the firmware supports both, but a given ini is either one or the other) I don't plan to support it until it is possible for the model files to work on all tx running Deviation.
I also haven't done a code review, but I don't expect that to be a big issue unless suvsuv has completely changed his coding style with his fork.

Of coz I will ask you to do a code review later on B) . That I don't ask you to do so is only because I don't want to put these codes into your main branch before the stable v2.1 is released, which you plan to do so in this week.
As you can read from the name, the Simplified, or JR/Walkera-like, Mixer GUI is just pure GUI stuff based on the deviation, I don't change anything on existing mixer logic , except adding a servoscaleneg in the Limit structure to support asymmetry Travel adjustment.
This stuff provides another option for user who are more familiar with traditional TX GUI and its model files certainly work on all tx running Deviation.
Give you a general idea about how it work: the 1st time to switch to Simplified, the codes just load a template transparently, under the template/tradheli.ini. By this way, a predefined model, supporting all 1servo/3servo, is established and then users just need to tune Trim/Reverve/TrvAdj/Curves/SwashMix parameters before being able to fly a Flybar/Flybarless helis. Users can still switch back to exiting Mixer menu, I named it advanced GUI, if they want to tweak more parameters that commercial TX doesn't support.
The model files, generated from Simplified GUI, are backward-compatible to all release of Deviation. Even though the servoscaleneg is introduced, existing deviation TXs will just pick the servoscale to calculate channel output
Last edit: 13 Dec 2012 00:29 by suvsuv.

More
13 Dec 2012 00:25 #3961 by suvsuv

sbstnp wrote: My opinion is we don't need it. A simplified interface just allows you to skip the learning curve. Learning something, anything, is good for you. Don't be lazy (not directed at someone in particular, but people tend to be lazy, apologies if you feel insulted, but it's a truth).

It is up to PB whether he will merge the codes back to his repo. I don't mind if he doesn't want to do it.
But you are just to rude to say so as you have little contributions to this project and help any users of the Deviation.

More
13 Dec 2012 01:49 - 13 Dec 2012 01:49 #3964 by sbstnp

suvsuv wrote: It is up to PB whether he will merge the codes back to his repo. I don't mind if he doesn't want to do it.
But you are just to rude to say so as you have little contributions to this project and help any users of the Deviation.

Please don't feel insulted in any way, it was just my opinion. You did an amazing job with Devo 10 and you are an all around great guy. Your effort in implementing the classic interface is appreciated too, I'm sure.

I was saying it's not needed because after understanding how the current system works I don't see the need to think "classically".

I think most users will outgrow the classic interface in matter of months if not weeks. Then it will just sit there unused.

Is the effort worth it? I say no. Let them bang their heads a bit and think outside the box. In the end they'll thank you because they'll come out smarter.

Anyway, I'll leave this discussion as I've already voiced my opinion.

PS: Telling me to shut up because I don't contribute enough is rude too. It's like me telling you to shut up because your English isn't good enough.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
Last edit: 13 Dec 2012 01:49 by sbstnp.

More
13 Dec 2012 01:52 #3965 by sbstnp

quique65 wrote:

I have to reply to this. I'm sure you're only thinking about what you fly. What about others?

You will need an interface for:
1. Delta mixing
2. Flaperons
3. Elevons
4. Canard

And then some more.

Did you think about all this?

As far as I can see Deviation already follows the KISS principle, it doesn't get more simple than this. Don't be shortsighted.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9

More
13 Dec 2012 02:19 #3967 by suvsuv

sbstnp wrote:

quique65 wrote:

I have to reply to this. I'm sure you're only thinking about what you fly. What about others?

You will need an interface for:
1. Delta mixing
2. Flaperons
3. Elevons
4. Canard

And then some more.

Did you think about all this?

As far as I can see Deviation already follows the KISS principle, it doesn't get more simple than this. Don't be shortsighted.

I don't need to provide a universal template for all users, I will share something for people who wants to use it, other parties will share for others, eventually the project will grow as you expect. You just don't understand how a open-source project work.

More
13 Dec 2012 02:32 #3968 by suvsuv
The simplified GUI does simplified configuration for Heli and reduce mistake setting for newbies, and it still allows any users to configure mixers for any type of planes with exiting Mixer pages.

Whether is simple to users is not based on your own judgement, I hav feedbacks from many users in other forums.

More
13 Dec 2012 04:31 #3972 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic DEVO 10 Simplified Mixer GUI
By the way. I fully agree with suvsuv. Deviation was not designed to be easy to pick up and use. Instead it was designed to offer the ultimate in flexibility. In a sense,I misjudged my audience after having spent a time with ER9x, I assumed the Deviation audience would be similar. Instead we have a lot of folks who just want the Walkera interface with more protocol support. I'm not unhappy with how things turned out, and do not feel a responsibility to develop something for that audience. But Suvsuv is providing that, and if it can be done without impacting the advanced interface, that is great. Whether it is offered as a separate project or as an option in Deviation is mostly up to suvsuv, but either way it is still a net win for the community.

Also, I will encourage everyone on here to be as polite as possible. There are many folks here for whom English is a 2nd language, and it is very easy to misinterpret intent even in the best of circumstances.

More
13 Dec 2012 05:31 - 13 Dec 2012 05:31 #3975 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic DEVO 10 Simplified Mixer GUI
I had a plan to make a simple model converter, which could save the original DEVO model files into deviation format, but nowadays I don't have the time to do it... :(

It could be included into my model configurator too.
Last edit: 13 Dec 2012 05:31 by FDR.

More
13 Dec 2012 08:12 - 13 Dec 2012 08:16 #3983 by domcars0
Replied by domcars0 on topic DEVO 10 Simplified Mixer GUI

PhracturedBlue wrote: Also, I will encourage everyone on here to be as polite as possible. There are many folks here for whom English is a 2nd language, and it is very easy to misinterpret intent even in the best of circumstances.

How to say "I love you" in different languages:
English : :unsure:
Deutch : :oops:
Arabic : ;)
French ; :woohoo: or "Ma chérie, je t'aime"
Russian : :blink:
Italian : :whistle:
Chinese : :kiss:
Brazilian: :P
(sorry if I missed anyone, there are a lotof contributors now!)
What a wonderfull world! :lol:

Devo 10 (+7e) owner. It's mine, please don't touch it with your big fingers :angry:
Last edit: 13 Dec 2012 08:16 by domcars0.

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds