Feature request!

More
28 Dec 2012 16:32 #4323 by togy
Feature request! was created by togy
An awesome feature would be if there was a "total flight time" timer for each model. I'm to lazy to keep track of that on a paper. Such data could also give some cool history feature to display what and how much you fly over time!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2012 19:32 #4335 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic Feature request!
I like that idea. Of course it will be pretty much up to the pilot to manage it. How would the software know if you were doing setup or actually flying? But it would give you an interesting stat to look at. The time will have to be saved in the model config, and could get wiped out or reset by accident.

All that we would need is an option for the stop watch timer to be cumulative or not. Or maybe a 3rd type of timer, but that would take a little more work.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

More
28 Dec 2012 20:55 #4344 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Feature request!
Yep, there was a discussion about it already...

It was dropped, because you can't be sure if the model is actually flying, or someone just trying the config while fine tuning it.

You could say, if a rx is bound, then it should count. But neither of Walkera protocols does hand-shake on binding or start, so you cannot know if a rx is bound. Only received telemetry data could help here...

Furthermore there could be more then one config for the same model, for example indoor vs outdoor config, so neither will give you the total time.

But the most problematic part is, that we don't have dedicated throttle channel to watch, and if we had, what about gliders for example? How do you know, are they flying?

More
28 Dec 2012 21:57 #4347 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Feature request!
Probably best would be a manual started timer, but then what happens when you forget to start it? :woohoo:

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

More
29 Dec 2012 04:59 #4352 by Hexperience

FDR wrote: But the most problematic part is, that we don't have dedicated throttle channel to watch, and if we had, what about gliders for example? How do you know, are they flying?

The throttle timer is already there in each model. Just need to save the time in the .ini file and pick it up again next time the model is loaded. Config time vs. flight time is up to the user. If I get to see that I have say 10 hours on my v120 I will know that 10% of that is config time, more or less depending on how much I config it.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

More
29 Dec 2012 05:31 - 29 Dec 2012 05:32 #4353 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Feature request!
Why we need to invent bicycle? Every Tx has cumulative timer for each model. It count ALL time you use that model. Cumulative timer can be reset only at timers setup page.

Will be nice to know only REAL cumulative time of flights, but it's too complicated.
Last edit: 29 Dec 2012 05:32 by vlad_vy.

More
29 Dec 2012 10:23 #4356 by FDR

Hexperience wrote:

FDR wrote: But the most problematic part is, that we don't have dedicated throttle channel to watch, and if we had, what about gliders for example? How do you know, are they flying?

The throttle timer is already there in each model.

No it is not there.
There is only a switch you can configure to start the timer.
It is YOU who knows, which stick or channel is the throttle, if you have one at all.
Again: what about gliders, or sail boats?
Or what about tanks with two throttles? Which one do you count? ;)

vlad_vy wrote: Why we need to invent bicycle? Every Tx has cumulative timer for each model.

Actually neither Walkera tx have such a feature...
Of course it doesn't mean, we couldn't have it, I just wanted to point out, that it is not that simple to implement such a specific feature over a highly configurable base...

More
29 Dec 2012 12:38 #4359 by suvsuv
Replied by suvsuv on topic Feature request!

Hexperience wrote:

The throttle timer is already there in each model. Just need to save the time in the .ini file and pick it up again next time the model is loaded. Config time vs. flight time is up to the user. If I get to see that I have say 10 hours on my v120 I will know that 10% of that is config time, more or less depending on how much I config it.

I like this idea and will implement it in the Simplified GUI。

More
29 Dec 2012 12:41 #4360 by suvsuv
Replied by suvsuv on topic Feature request!

FDR wrote:

Hexperience wrote:

The throttle timer is already there in each model.

No it is not there.
It is YOU who knows, which stick or channel is the throttle, if you have one at all.

vlad_vy wrote: Why we need to invent bicycle? Every Tx has cumulative timer for each model.

Actually neither Walkera tx have such a feature...
Of course it doesn't mean, we couldn't have it, I just wanted to point out, that it is not that simple to implement such a specific feature over a highly configurable base...

If a feature applies to all kinds of models, it should be implemented in a very high priority. But it doesn't necessarily mean that we should do nothing for features only apply to certain types of models. Otherwise, the Swash stuffs should be removed

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
29 Dec 2012 12:53 #4361 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Feature request!
Maybe we should work out what might be the advantage of having such a cumulative timer...
For myself such a timer would have two valuable things:
1.) a statistical one - I could see which of my rc-vehicles I use most
2.) a practical one - I knew when I would have to make regular checks like these for bearings or when I should watch more for exessive wearout
Now I have these data on paper/spreadsheet where I make listings for my lipo usage so I could add the times whenever I think I need them...
With this in mind I would not care for the exact time a heli is flown or a car is driven. I would accept a difference in a range up to 20% (the difference would be the same for all models over time when I treat them identically).
Binding such a timer to a switch or a stick (as most of us seem to use throttle for controlling lipo running time...) would be enough to give the user the amount of control he needs - with a special switch he can exactly determine when the timer should count, with using throttle he might measure addditional time he used not for flying but for setting up.

I think it should not be too time-consuming to implement such a third type of timer (PB, I might have overseen a lot - feel free to correct me) so - that's my personal opinion - we should have one. I don't know if I will use it, but ... If it were there, I would use it because it does not cost anything (except write cycles) and who knows when I will need the time...

Ladies, please feel addressed too although I used "he".

More
29 Dec 2012 13:38 - 29 Dec 2012 13:45 #4362 by Hexperience

FDR wrote: No it is not there.

There is a timer1 and a timer2. Give me the option to ADD timer1 OR timer2 to timer3. (And yes, it's ME the user that knows which stick or channel).
Save timer3 to ini file.

Then when loading up the model, load timer3 and repeat.

It's a user thing. The programmer doesn't even need to worry about me using it or not, or if I get an accurate total time. It's just remembering the amount of time that was in the timer1 or timer2.

I think that the value of timer3 (this imaginary new cumulative timer) should be saved every time T1 or T2 are reset (obviously), when a new model is loaded and when the tx is powered off. That should cover it.

I'm going to have a look at the code, but I'm very rusty and it will take me awhile... :)

BTW, most real systems, i.e. planes, tractors etc. count hours rather than distance. They don't know if the tractor was moving or not, all the care about is the total time it was running.

Last edit: 29 Dec 2012 13:45 by Hexperience.

More
29 Dec 2012 14:53 #4363 by FDR
You can easily convince me, but I'm not the man you should! ;)

If I had to implement such a total timer, I would make it to configure as simple as possible.
For example simply the first timer would be the one which is always summed. (Probably it is configured to throttle anyway...)
To simplify the usage, it should work with countdown timers as well.

More
06 Jan 2013 22:45 #4760 by togy
Replied by togy on topic Feature request!
Thanks guys for discussion my suggestion:-) Maybe one could just add a large button to click on to registrate flights. Since I've heard that Nanos consume motors i'd like a simple way to keep track of number of flights. Like a big square counter button to point with my finger on.

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds