Devo 8s

More
22 Jan 2013 12:00 #5362 by Jack H
Devo 8s was created by Jack H
I know this is not a new question someone has had to ask,but I don't want to wade through the entire forum to find an answer. I am also sorry if ths is not the proper protocol to ask.
I am a 57 year old newbie, who is teaching myself, I am moving from fp minis(911 9558)to cp minis. I am going to get walkera genius v2 w/devo8s. I also have the V922 and want to use the Tx for all and future helis.
I must be ignorant because I can't figure out what all is involved in getting and using this software. Honestly I have looked at this site hard and can't find a place to call or email for questions.
What do I need to do, to install, run, bind? How much does it cost? Do I need to open the TX?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2013 12:24 - 22 Jan 2013 12:25 #5363 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Devo 8s
Welcome!
This is the proper place to ask.

What do I need to do, to install, run, bind?

It is a long story, please read the manual first:
www.deviationtx.com/repository/Documenta...ationUserManual.pdf/
www.deviationtx.com/user-manual
...or watch this video:
www.deviationtx.com/forum/how-to/1094-ho...o-deviation-firmware

How much does it cost?

It's free.

Do I need to open the TX?

Only if you want to mod your tx to support the FlySky/Hubsan protocol:
www.deviationtx.com/repository/Documenta.../Flysky-to-Devo.pdf/
www.deviationtx.com/forum/how-to/1228-fl...le-with-pics-devo-8s

BTW, I would consider the Super CP instead of the Genius CP v2...
Last edit: 22 Jan 2013 12:25 by FDR.

More
22 Jan 2013 12:42 - 22 Jan 2013 12:45 #5364 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Devo 8s
Hi Jack H

Two comments:
To use the DEVO8s for the V911, you will need to open the Devo8 and add a V911/Flysky TX module as indicated by FDR.

I do not have a Master CP as FDR advised above, but agree that the Genius is not a beginners heli. Having started with a Genius V1 (3 Genius frames and spare sets later), I rather fly my V120D02s (V2/New). It is a bit larger and much more stable, and like the Genius V2 is also has the 6 axis controller to assist beginners.

Having said that, and if I remember correctly, the Master CP has a tail motor which will make it more robust than the shaft driven tail of the V120D02s.
Last edit: 22 Jan 2013 12:45 by RandMental.

More
22 Jan 2013 13:03 #5365 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Devo 8s
:blink:
I'm talking about the Super CP, wich is basicly a Mini CP frame with Genius like motor, and Super FP like servos:

www.walkera.com/en/showgoods.php?id=497

More
22 Jan 2013 17:42 #5376 by Jack H
Replied by Jack H on topic Devo 8s
Thanks for getting back to me. Several people on this and some other forums that the super cp would be a better deal for me to learn cp with than the genius. When I look at the specs for the super it seems as though it does not have the 6 axis gyro thst the genius has(that is why I went towards the genius), I could be mistaken I usually am. I did look at the manual some and since I have not had a programable Tx before this is all a little daunting.
I would like to be able to use 1 Tx for all my flying form my V911s, V922, which ever walkera I buy to get the Tx, and any larger helis in the future. This software this seems a better way to go than the Ht8 module or the anylink system. As I said I am self teaching and have gotten to the point that fp helis aren't enough. I am waiting on the V922cp, after ordering it I have come to believe learing on it wont be easy as the flight parameters are preset and not set up for someone like me and so the interest in a progamable TX.
If I install the software, is the Tx then able to bind with most 2.4gh helis? If I can't use it on the 911s thats no big deal as I will most likelly not fly them as much once I begin cp flight. Will it bind with the V922 cp?
An aside question would a walkera in the 120 class be a smarter way to teach myslef to fly cp? I have no problem going to a larger heli other than I live in MN and have to fly indoors often
Thank You in advance,
Jack Herrmann

More
22 Jan 2013 20:10 #5386 by Rain4LA
Replied by Rain4LA on topic Devo 8s
This is just my 2 cents, Jack... But just to let you know - the V120D02s is NOT a good helicopter to fly indoors. It's a brushless little beast and it can scream. But it's too much to fly indoors. Especially if you're just starting out. You would wreck things in the house and probably bust up the helicopter. It's a great helicopter, but not for indoors. Personally, I do like the Genius CP V2 as a beginners helicopter (not to confuse you) because it is very stable in hover, etc. Beware that it is a huge step up from the V911 because it does not ever stabilize itself like the V911 does. It takes constant input. But less so than some of the 3-axis gyros. It's just that the frame is a bit more flimsy - especially the landing skids, which are part of the frame (bad design)
And one more thing... I just want to make sure that you know that with the V911 and Devo 8s, it's not just software that needas to be programmed. You actually have to open up the Tx and install the module. Anyway good luck, and HAVE FUN.

More
22 Jan 2013 20:27 #5388 by Jack H
Hi Rain, Thanks for the input. I think there is a little misunderstanding. I don't have the V120D02s I am waiting thfor the new Wltoys model V922. Like the V911 but a cp, 6axis 3 gyro little heli. It comes with a 6ch tx but has preset parameters so not as good a trainer as I hoped.
Anyway, I bought a genius w/ devo 10 today. Got it through Wow hobby, also bought a s..t load of parts, it is a bummer about the landing skids being part of the frame but such is life. So now when it gets here if I download the software will I be able to fly most 2.4g helis? I gotta say this whole business of getting a Tx to bind to other Helis seem kinda BS to me. The manufacturers could make it much easier to bind rc products to the Tx

More
22 Jan 2013 21:40 #5400 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Devo 8s
The 922 will not work with anything other than its own Tx at this point (maybe the 9X folks made progress, but not last I heard)
I have one (still boxed up), so I plan to support it in the future, but not now. The 922 will require a hardware modification in the Devo Tx to be compatible.

Manufacturers have no incentive at the moment to make their equipment compatible with anyone else's. It hasn't changed in the past 25 years, and I don't think that will change anytime soon.

More
22 Jan 2013 21:58 #5402 by Jack H
Yeah, I understand that. So many things we all use everyday could be more compatible between manufaturers.
I am really excited about getting into cp flight. I think the Devo line of Txs is top notch for the price point.
So at this time i guess I really have no need to install this software. What other brands/models of helis will bind with the Tx after installing this software? Is getting other helis to bind to the Tx the only reason to get this?

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
23 Jan 2013 06:39 #5421 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Devo 8s
Other brands which can be controlled without any hardware modification are Blade helis and everything what uses the DSM2-protocol (and DSM-X in the near future). Esp. the Blade Nano CPx is worth a look because it has an extremly good stabilization (AS3X).
And other reasons for deViation are the much improved abilities of the hardware, only by changing the software (fly old WK-helis and new Devos, DSm-protocol, use up to 12 channels...). And if you once have understood the ideas behind the software (esp. mixers) you never will take another tx (there will be soon a 'simplified' mixing so the beginning might be still easier...).
deViation has a configurable user interface so you can adjust it to your preferences. And if this is not enough: deViation is an open source project under GPLv3 - you can modify the sources and create your own firmware. Everything you need (aside of your skills) can be found here...

More
23 Jan 2013 10:54 #5429 by Jack H
THANK you so much for that information. It is exactly what I wanted to hear.I will reread the manual and see if I think I can install the software. As I said I am an older newbie and thus far(I dont't have mine yet) the idea is a little daunting. Good to know I can get great support right here. Thanks once again.

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds