Could someone PLEASE help with Devo 8s?

More
22 Jan 2013 20:26 #5387 by Rain4LA
Yep, it's me again....
I just updated (upgraded) to 2.1.1 and when I turned my 8s off, the light stayed on. It's happened before, and I usually have to take one of the batteries out for a second, then put it back in and all is well. This time I can't get it to come back on. Only the red led on top. Nothing else. No beep, no touchscreen.... I changed batteries (twice) :S

Any help would be a godsend.

Thank you PLEASE!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2013 20:52 #5389 by digitracer
Replied by digitracer on topic Could someone PLEASE help with Devo 8s?
Sounds more like a problem with your hardware. Have you tried to get into USB mode?

More
22 Jan 2013 21:29 #5396 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Could someone PLEASE help with Devo 8s?
2 questions:
1) can you get into programming mode (EXT button while power-up)?
2) can you get into USB mode (ENT button while power up)?

If (1) works, and (2) works, then something is wrong with the filesystem
If (1) works, and (2) does not, something is wrong with the firmware
If neither (1) nor (2) works, something is wrong with the hardware or bootloader.

More
22 Jan 2013 22:41 #5405 by Rain4LA
Replied by Rain4LA on topic Could someone PLEASE help with Devo 8s?
No, nothing works. Neither the programming mode or USB mode. Only the red led light at the top - which won't turn off once powered up unless I unplug a battery.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

More
22 Jan 2013 23:36 #5406 by PhracturedBlue
That is a bad sign. It implies the bootloader is corrupted or there is some other hardware failure. If you are sure your battery is ok, it likely means you'll need to replace the bootloader. It should be possible to do this with a $4 cable, though I haven't done it that way myself yet. I need to experiment on my Tx to verify it works as I expect.
I'm not sure how an upgrade could have broken your bootloader though. The TX has protections to prevent that from happening.

I need to check it first, but basically you'll likely need:
2 2-pin jumpers
a 1/8" phono jack
a CP2102 USB to UART (search CP2102 on ebay)

The procedure is not very challenging. The hardest part is connecting the phono jack to the CP2103 module.

Alternatively I can (very likely) fix it for you, but you'd need to get it to me which may not be reasonable depending on your location.

More
23 Jan 2013 01:19 #5410 by Rain4LA
Replied by Rain4LA on topic Could someone PLEASE help with Devo 8s?
Man, I would gladly ship it to you. I don't know where you are, but I can tell you that nobody is going to fix this thing (from Walkera/Devo) because it's hacked. Obviously - right? lol Anyway - so is it possible that I f'd it up by using a regular USB to mini USB without that little limiter thing or whatever it is? I mean, I just realized that I did my upgrade with a cord that wasn't the stock one.

Thank you so much for your help, PB. I'm feeling desparate. If you want to pm me your address, that would be awesome. I really need someone to take a look at it anyway. If you've read my other posts - it's given me problems besides this. But I still love it!

More
23 Jan 2013 01:44 #5411 by PhracturedBlue
FYI, I did just double check that nothing is wrong with the v2.1.1 dfu file.
It is theoretically possible that something like a non-shielded USB cable would cause bad things to happen. I've had real problems with my 3d printer using a non-shielded usb cable (no magnetic core on the end). turning on the lights would cause an error in transmission. That said, I've never seen anything like it with the Devo. I don't use a shielded cable for my Devo, and have flashed it hundreds of times.

More
23 Jan 2013 02:17 #5414 by PhracturedBlue
PM sent

More
24 Jan 2013 20:09 #5479 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic Could someone PLEASE help with Devo 8s?
Rain, did you get working again?

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds