Binding to the RX1002Just finished lo

More
27 Jan 2013 04:53 #5555 by seaholic
Replied by seaholic on topic Binding to the RX1002Just finished lo
Great advise for this newbie, I will remove the props; luckily I have a case of spares.
I have had some mishaps wishing I had left the props off or disarmed the quad before picking it up with the TX under my armpit. Like a running food processer without its cover guard.
I have flown the quad in the past a few times for about about 9 min.s, but that would stress me out and after the second battery I would start screwing up. This all with the factory default settings and few minor adjustments on the Devo 10. Then I changed to the new TX firmware. Hopefully I can do better with it toned down.
Also letting go of the elev. stick is good advice. What throughs me off is loosing track of its orientation, I attached different color tennis balls underneath the motor mounts which helps a little. I think I will attach a tail or change control boards with one that has care free flight.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2013 20:34 #5588 by seaholic
Getting closer, have a few glitches, could be operator error.
I was having a hard time arming the control board, sometimes it would arm with no problems and then it just wouldn’t arm.
After arming it both the Kopter and Quad settings the throttles would go to -100 to 100 with no between speeds, I recalibrated and rearm the control board and the throttles worked perfectly, nice and smooth. The problem I am having is at low throttle settings when trying to hover and then correcting drift with the aileron I get full 100% power left and right resulting in over correcting and almost flipping. This is happening on both files so I am thinking it must be me. If we can tone down the aileron to match the throttle would be perfect.
The elevator seems smooth.
With the Quad file I cannot disarm the controller using the throttle and rudder stick. I have to unplug the battery, which I can live with.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
27 Jan 2013 21:39 #5591 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Binding to the RX1002Just finished lo
Fine, you are a few steps further...
As I have written before I still think your stabilization on aileron works in the wrong direction. Did you make the test I proposed? Please tell us the result.
Arming / disarming works easy with my quad. Make sure that you reach -100% on throttle ans +/-100% on rudder (maybe you have some D/R to reduce the way? The board will not regocnize it).

More
27 Jan 2013 22:33 - 27 Jan 2013 22:35 #5593 by seaholic
I can here the motors run up when you tilt them down, its can of hard to tell which motor is speeding up, I could try again and tape the prop shafts.
. Now the aileron speed is too much to quick compared to the throttle.
When I start to hover it wants to lift off on the right side first with a little left yaw, I can normally correct this by adding little reverse pitch and roll with the stick. Then get her off the ground were I can gain more altitude and reflex time so I can half way fly it.
If the stabilization is wrong how is that corrected, also still not sure how to change between FMODs, is it through the display or external switches on the TX?
Last edit: 27 Jan 2013 22:35 by seaholic.

• rbe2012
More
28 Jan 2013 06:39 #5605 by rbe2012
ok, if you can control your flight it is unlikely that the correction goes in the wrong direction (otherwise every little change would result in nearly uncontrollable flipping). To change this I think there were some control sequences (similar to arming/disarming) which can be controlled by the tx in disarmed state (they should be described in the kk-manual; can't find mine now to look inside).
The FMOD-switch is a real switch on your tx, is labeled with "fmod". You find it at the top site (where the antenna is) at the right.
Attachments:

More
28 Jan 2013 12:19 - 29 Jan 2013 00:35 #5615 by seaholic
Yes its controllable now, not sure what I did but it corrected itself when I calibrated the sticks. It seamed to correct both model files. I have tried that FMOD switch, was not sure if it was working.
About the aileron stick control, it is on channel-2 and the problem is the sensitivity. With just a slight movement of the aileron stick, it goes from -100 to 100 with maybe 05-10% movement on the stick, instead of 100% or the sticks end limit on the movement. If I explained this clearly, it hard putting it into words?
Last edit: 29 Jan 2013 00:35 by seaholic. Reason: grammer readability

More
29 Jan 2013 23:56 #5751 by seaholic
Update, fixed the aileron stick problem by recalibrating the aileron stick
Works great now. I still have to trim the Quad, it wants to yaw to the right and the front No. 1 motor wants to dip. I have to adjust with aileron and elevator to get level but I cannot control the right hand yaw. So I adjusted the yaw pod on the control board to 0. Now I cant arm the control board. I will have to play with that some more. You mention D/R on binding not sure what you mean.

• rbe2012
More
30 Jan 2013 05:41 #5758 by rbe2012
I think I mentioned d/r for arming, not for binding.It might be a problem when the values do not reach+-100%.

But you are beyond this point now, so don't worry about that anymore.

More
30 Jan 2013 12:40 #5782 by seaholic
Yes, your right, my mistake I meant arming. I have no problem binding, its always been arming. The arming is not consistent, sometimes it arms first try and then sometimes not at all. One time the throttle and motors would work only without being armed, that was scary.
Ok,are you talking about 100% values on throttle & rudder position? If so I the TX reads 0 at full throttle on FMOD-0 which is 50% and I believe 100% on rudder.

• rbe2012
More
31 Jan 2013 06:45 #5827 by rbe2012
Can you post your actual model*.ini-file? It is easier to take a look at it...

More
31 Jan 2013 12:28 - 31 Jan 2013 22:50 #5836 by seaholic
Model2.ini (Kopter3!)
I am sorry to keep asking for all this help.
I think I am getting close, Its arming now but I am still having a right hand yaw problem, it wants to lift off and rotate to the right with the front coming off the ground first. Also the left and right trim buttons on the TX do not seem to work, and the rudder and elevator trim buttons on the TX are switched around with each other.When you move the elevator trim switch up the throttle accelerates the rudder trim switch seems to trim forward and backwards.
Last edit: 31 Jan 2013 22:50 by seaholic.

More
02 Feb 2013 04:50 #5900 by seaholic

File Attachment:

File Name: model2.ini
File Size:4 KB

Here is a copy of the file.
I am thinking I might need to reverse the yaw gyro
to correct for CW yaw?
Attachments:

More
02 Feb 2013 18:39 #5913 by seaholic
Now I am frustrated, thought if I changed to a different firmware on the control board it might help with the CW yaw. Tried that today and that did not work at all. I could not even get off the ground without crashing.

More
02 Feb 2013 19:40 - 02 Feb 2013 22:34 #5916 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Binding to the RX1002Just finished lo
Hi Seaholic

I know you will find it strange to hear it on this forum, but my suggestion would be go back to basics. Reading the posts it seems many problems are probably unrelated to the Deviation firmware. My suggestion, since you have a Devo 10 and RX1002, is start over using the stock standard Walkera Devo10 firmware.

Ensure you can bind with the RX1002, then redo the model setup and make sure the sub trims and travel adjust is set such the ESC(s)arm. Following that you can start playing with normal and reverse settings to getb the attitude control correct.

I sincerely believe you are unnecessary complicating your environment in this early stage with the flexible and powerful Deviation environment.

When you have the standard Devo10/RX1002 and the model correctly configured, then switch back to the Deviation Firmware to use its powerful features.
Last edit: 02 Feb 2013 22:34 by RandMental.

More
02 Feb 2013 21:09 #5920 by seaholic
I was thinking that too, I was flying the X much better before I upgraded the TX. I was looking for a way to tone it down until I got more flight time. I have everything binded and armed OK. Most of the problems for sure is my lack of experience. With just over a month of RC knowledge
I have a lot of questions since I cannot find any manuals or books on this subject.

• rbe2012
More
02 Feb 2013 21:34 #5922 by rbe2012
Sorry seaholic, I had to spend my time with programming, work and family and was not able to help you in the meantime. I looked at the ini-file (looks still as mine, doesn't it?) - nothing found inside.
I think the advice from RanMental is quite wise. I am sure that it is frustrating to get the quad not in the air; I had this feeling too at the beginning where I could not hold a heli away from the walls for longer than a few seconds. I thought, they must be gods when they can fly those birds but I learned that they only worked hard for that.
And I can tell you: it will give you much more experience and confidence when you reach this on your own. Take advice whereever you need it and get help where you can but always make sure that you do not only use it but try to understand what leaded to your problem and why the advice solved it for you.
So I agree with RandMental (but I think it is not really a matter of the power of deViation) to go back and try to build it up step by step. It may sound boring but a structured preceding is probably the fastest (if not the only) way to solve your issue.
Start with the quad. Don't take anything as given, probe all connections, esp. which motor esc is located at which flight controller output. And check if the controller is mounted in the right direction (normally you will found an arrow pointing forward somewhere) and flat (with the connections to the upper side).
Go on with a simple config (e.g. the airplane template or from scratch), connect you flight controller to the rx (watch for the order of the channels - they may be different at the controller and the rx) and try to get the correct reactions of the motors with the quad without props and standing on the floor. Do not make any special modifications in the tx - no expo, no dr, no switches - just nothing what could disturb proper settings.
Next try to program the flight controller. When you have connected the channels right, you should be able to do this. If you have a few servo testers you could also connect these to the flight controller and make the first programming with them (but control later with the rx/tx).
Than check out if the reactions of the motors are as expected. It is really important to understand, which motor has to turn clockwise and which ccw. Also you must unterstand what should happen if you move a stick (e.g. throttle: all motors run faster or slower; rudder: when moving to the right the ccw motors should run faster and the others slower and so on).
Now you are at the point to control if the stabilization works as expected. Tilt the quad (any axis, one after the other) and look if the reaction is acting against your tilting or in the same direction (to make it worse). Always imagine if the prop (if mounted) would blow more air downward or less. You can only decide if it is correct when you know what you should expect.
If this works correct, then you are on your way for the first hover. Be very careful, your quad is not a toy. Try to hover half a meter over ground for a few second and land it. If you have to correct the hovering because it is drifting in any direction, be careful with the sticks because you have a very fast reaction. You can make it beeing controlled smoother later by adding some expo and dr as written in a former post. This makes only sense if you can be sure that everything works as it should do.
At last: I wish you that you get it working. Don't give up, you have reached a lot and you will get the rest done too.

More
03 Feb 2013 01:39 #5936 by seaholic
Don`t be sorry, I want to thank you again for all your time and help you given me. I am still far from throwing in the towel. I am usually pretty patient, but after loading new firmware to the controller and crashing breaking a motor mount that I made in the first five seconds. That was a little upsetting.
Back to the basics, I think I have a handle on that, prop rotations and motor sequence and wiring. TX control to the RX, binding and arming I fill I got that down, because I probably made all the possible mistakes you can make. So I have learned from that. On my KK5.5 board when you set the yaw pod to either zero or 100% the board will not arm. That was one of my problems, the other problem with the CW yaw, I think was in the firmware not matching the KK board. I also loaded a new V4.7 FW to the board and one of the motors was late ramping up with the other motors. Reading a RC forum they stated there were some issues with the 4.7FW unless you had a LED programmer they recommended a generic KK FW for the 5.5 board that I have. So I went back with the Minsoo Xcopter v2.9 FW and the CW yaw is gone. I just have a little backwards movement, which I added about 15% positive elevator trim. I think that might have fixed that problem. When I would power it up on the kitchen floor the Xcopter would slide back slowly so I added the forward trim until it stopped moving. Maybe tomorrow I will get a chance to test it. I am going to stay with your Kopter3! file, I like the safety you built in to it with the gear switch and the 3 FMODs

More
03 Feb 2013 18:14 - 03 Feb 2013 18:15 #5968 by seaholic
:woohoo: Update we got a launch, works pretty good. I was actually able to fly it around in the back yard with all the obstacles, before I would not have even attempted it because it was to squirrelly with the controls. It will actually hover a little with very little stick input. I have never been able to do that before.
I did order a KK2.0 board with the led inputs for finer adjustments to the board. Plus it has auto leveling which should help me while flying. :cheer:
Last edit: 03 Feb 2013 18:15 by seaholic.

• rbe2012
More
03 Feb 2013 18:58 #5970 by rbe2012
Congratulation!
Get a bit used to it and you will want to modify the settings relating to your growing skills.
Have fun!! :woohoo:

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds