Standard Mixer Take-2

More
22 Feb 2013 13:27 #6804 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Standard Mixer Take-2
Just to jump in
a) something looks buggy there. The virt12 thing is something that FDR already reported. I agree it is unnecessary but haven't yet decided if I wnat to remove it as it does serve to allow me to restore a curve later.. But I expected to see '! GEAR0' on the pitch page and on the throttle page. If it looked that way (and the virt12 switch was gone) this wouldn't be too far from how you'd configure it yourself (the main difference being that the std mixer always uses the CYC mappings, and most FBL folks just directly configure their channels.

b) advanced is just what it sounds like: 'advanced'. being able to go from simple to advanced makes it possible to debug what the standard mixer is doing. If we get it to the point where it actually does things in an intuitive way, it could be a good learning tool, but it is not that at the moment. I would say we should not encourage people to move an existing model from simple to advanced until it works in an expected manner (and that is partially what this thread is about), but I see no reason to emove the behavior.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2013 14:45 #6813 by coaster
Replied by coaster on topic Standard Mixer Take-2
Hi all

the Power indicator bar in the main display is
alway on min regardless on the selected tx power.

cheers
Graziano

More
22 Feb 2013 15:03 #6815 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Standard Mixer Take-2

coaster wrote: the Power indicator bar in the main display is
alway on min regardless on the selected tx power.

It works for me in the emu_devo8 and emu_devo10...
Where do you see such behaviour?

More
22 Feb 2013 15:12 #6818 by coaster
Replied by coaster on topic Standard Mixer Take-2
sorry my fault, the default now is 100 micro watt
changed to 100 milli watt now is o.k.

Cheers
Graziano

More
22 Feb 2013 19:36 #6838 by FDR

FDR wrote: Reboot of DEVO 8 with the latest 5b6a882 version:
Open the throttle or pitch curves of the standard ui and click right on the mode spinbox.
The tx hangs for two seconds and reboots...

So, does anybody else have such tx reboot?

More
22 Feb 2013 20:02 #6841 by PhracturedBlue
I was able to look at the elf and errors.txt and identify where the problem is. I haven't root caused it yet (nor have I tried to reproduce as yet)

More
22 Feb 2013 20:33 - 22 Feb 2013 21:25 #6846 by FDR

"Try not. Do or do not... There is no try."

Master Yoda

;)

It's not too hard to reproduce: it reboots every time I click right...
Last edit: 22 Feb 2013 21:25 by FDR.

More
23 Feb 2013 11:29 #6864 by FDR
It doesn't reboot now with the 3926ed5.
It's strange, because I don't see too much modifications there to fix that...

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
23 Feb 2013 13:17 #6877 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Standard Mixer Take-2
We discussed about transferring models from standard to advanced and vice versa. Talking with my wife brouhgt this idea up:
What about only showing which gui/mixer is used in the model config instead of having the choice? This would imply that we have another way of changing the mixer type.
Here comes the idea:
Use a "model copy and change mixer mode" to create a new model which takes the properties of the actual model, but uses another model storage place by copying it to a free slot while converting standard->advanced or resetting in the other way.
This would not destroy configs (yes, we all have backups...), users can always go back and look in the original config...
Implication: a free model slot must exist (can be solved by creating more files by the user).
First I thought there could be a second: when you do this you will have two identically looking helis/planes - but this is the case when you copy an model config now without converting, so no issue.

More
23 Feb 2013 13:25 #6879 by PhracturedBlue
Or....I could justfix the logic to be intuitive enough that ismple->advanced works as expected. I'm working on it.

I understand the THR config now, and it is fine. It uses a safety switch for thold which is why there is no 4th mixer.

I believe the 4th mixer on the pitch channel is a bug and should be '!GEAR0'

I am working to remove the use of Virt10 so that you don't have unused mixers

I do not yet understand how the GEAR channel is configured

That only leaves the question of whether FBL should use the Cyclic config or direct. Once we're at that point, it may not be hard to have the std mixer do the right thing there too.

Basically, if I can get the standard GUI to set things up the way you would do it in Advanced mode, everyone is happy, and I think that is a reasonable proposition.

More
23 Feb 2013 13:27 #6880 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Standard Mixer Take-2

rbe2012 wrote: We discussed about transferring models from standard to advanced and vice versa. Talking with my wife brouhgt this idea up:
What about only showing which gui/mixer is used in the model config instead of having the choice? This would imply that we have another way of changing the mixer type.
Here comes the idea:
Use a "model copy and change mixer mode" to create a new model which takes the properties of the actual model, but uses another model storage place by copying it to a free slot while converting standard->advanced or resetting in the other way.
This would not destroy configs (yes, we all have backups...), users can always go back and look in the original config...
Implication: a free model slot must exist (can be solved by creating more files by the user).
First I thought there could be a second: when you do this you will have two identically looking helis/planes - but this is the case when you copy an model config now without converting, so no issue.

Copying the model when changing mixers is a good idea. But don't over think/engineer it :)

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

• rbe2012
More
23 Feb 2013 13:52 #6883 by rbe2012

PhracturedBlue wrote: I believe the 4th mixer on the pitch channel is a bug and should be '!GEAR0'

I thought this too but somebody somewhere above convinced me that it is meant this way: with throttle hold you can have a special pitch curve (e.g. for autorotation) which is identical independent from normal / idel up modes. So you have two switches: the th switch for activating throttle hold and the switch at the fourth page to choose wether to use the actual (given by flight mode) pitch curve or a special one.

More
23 Feb 2013 14:01 #6884 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Standard Mixer Take-2
No, for both used one switch 'Throttle hold', but 'Pitch curve' has choice to use it (On) or not use it (Off).

More
23 Feb 2013 17:10 #6899 by PhracturedBlue
Ok, I just committed an update that should make the throttle-hold implementation much more intuitive when examining in the Advanced mixer. I realized I should also do this for the AIL/ELE/RUD D/R settings so that is next.

I've only tested in the emulator so far. I wouldn't be surprised if there are new bugs there so be wary.
Also, I broke backwards compatibility with suvsuv's models. If you load an existing 'Standard' model, you'll get 'invalid ini' on the pitch/throttle page.

More
23 Feb 2013 18:43 #6905 by PhracturedBlue
Alright, I think I'm done for now. Moving from the standard-mixer to the advanced mixer appears to give a set of mixers that closely resemble the '6ch heli' mixer. From a usability perspective, the main issue seems to be that it uses the Cyclic instead of directly controlling channels A,E,P. I could probably fix that, but I'm not convinced it is worth the effort. I'll think on that some more. I'd like to see some testing on this to see if I broke anything I'm not aware of.

More
23 Feb 2013 20:57 #6911 by FDR
If you want the conversion to be more easily understandable, you could use the "Expo&DR" template for the AIL, ELE, RUDD and Gyro at least...

Don't know if it would raise compatibility issues though.

More
24 Feb 2013 03:42 #6916 by PhracturedBlue
done. it is trivial to do.

More
24 Feb 2013 04:49 #6917 by PhracturedBlue
on the topic of showing the throttle as 0 - 100 vs -100 to 100, does it make sense to do on the advanced mixer too?
Issues I foresee:
Do you do this to both the input and output (i.e. for 'INP=THR and CH3)?
If so, the graphs all need to be redrawn to not have a cross-hair when inp = THR
If not, the graps won't be redrawn which may cause some confusion.
Pitch should be -100 to 100 but it uses THR as the input

If we only do this on the standard mixer it is easier. The 'Throttle' graph can be drawn without cross-hairs, and the main page will show the value as 0-100. The down-side is that it means I need to special-case the code in a way I really don't like.

• rbe2012
More
24 Feb 2013 06:37 #6924 by rbe2012
Just a thought: when we have 0-100 (what I think is more natural to throttle) what about extending the values with scale, offset, travel adjust? How will values be displayed which are actually -125%? Negative? Even more confusion than now.

More
24 Feb 2013 06:56 - 24 Feb 2013 07:05 #6928 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Standard Mixer Take-2
Devo 8 -> Std GUI -> Pitch curve = Invalid model.ini!

Timers have not 'Reset sw:' anymore?
Last edit: 24 Feb 2013 07:05 by vlad_vy.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds