extended limits on main page problem?

More
23 Feb 2013 13:43 - 23 Feb 2013 13:48 #6882 by Hexperience
extended limits on main page problem? was created by Hexperience
Not sure how to explain this one so I will just show it.
When you extend the limits (in this case throttle) the main page still shows -100% but the channel is really -110%

I noticed this when I extended the limit because one of my ESC's wouldn't arm at -100. When I put the throttle hold on, it does show the correct -110 value. Then if you flip TH off, it shows -100 (even though it's really -110) It kind of made me jump because I thought it was going to start spinning up.

[channel3]
safetysw=RUD DR1
safetyval=-110
scalar=110
template=simple
[mixer]
src=THR
dest=Ch3

Not sure if this is by design..?

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Feb 2013 13:48 by Hexperience.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2013 14:44 - 23 Feb 2013 19:29 #6885 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic extended limits on main page problem?
It is by design.
The final scaling occure after everything else, since it is for travel adjust for example.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2013 19:29 by FDR.

More
23 Feb 2013 15:19 #6888 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic extended limits on main page problem?
That's what I thought at first, but then when you use the safety function the display shows -110, turning TH off, and it jumps to -100.

Just need to get used to it, or maybe have the final scaling after the safety?

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

More
23 Feb 2013 15:42 #6892 by FDR
I'm a bit confused now.
The safety is not scaled AFAIK. It is simply sent out to the channel if the switch is true...

More
23 Feb 2013 15:58 - 23 Feb 2013 16:01 #6894 by Hexperience
No, you are 100% correct. And that is the issue. (in a way, it's not really too big of an issue)

So I power up my TX and turn on TH. The display on the main page shows -110%. OK

I power up my 500 heli, ESC arms (channel 3 is at -110)

I turn off TH with the stick still all the way down. The display now changes to -100, even though channel 3 is really -110. There was no change in the value going to the channel, but there was a change in the value displayed on the screen. one scaled, and one not.

So I suggest that for the purpose of the display, the safety value should be scaled. ?? OR Show the real value of the channel at all times.

Last edit: 23 Feb 2013 16:01 by Hexperience.

More
23 Feb 2013 18:55 #6906 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic extended limits on main page problem?
As FDR said the 'scale' on the limits page was actually designed to be a servo-adjust. so you define 100% and then decide how far your servos should move. Since not all servos give the same throw, this is a way to tweak the values to get the behavior you want.

There is also 'scale' on the mixer page which actually affets the channel value shown.

The failsafe is applied last. It should possibly have the scale factor incorporated so that it has the same range as the mixer. Changing it would be difficult without breaking backwards compatibility so I probably won't.

So the issue here is that the failsafe value is passed to the output box such that the box value is different with/without safety but the servo values are tidentical.

We could fix it by 'unscaling' the mixerlimit or displaying the final channel value on the main page. If I recall, I initially did the latter and we decided to change it to the way it is now.

More
23 Feb 2013 19:35 #6908 by FDR
Just to avoid confusion, we are talking about safety value, not the failsafe value, however I'm sure PB meant that too...

BTW the safety value was in the range of -100%..+100%, and just recently allows you to set it outside that...

There are too much changes, at too high rate.
We probably should think more then coding... ;)

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
24 Feb 2013 06:26 #6922 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic extended limits on main page problem?
TH will be the main use for channels with safety which value is shown on the screen. Can we give it another color (maybe white on black for bw) when safety is activated?
I admit I was confused more than once to see different values at different positions (e.g. the bars on main screen vs. channel monitor).

More
24 Feb 2013 16:15 #6962 by PhracturedBlue
I've been thinking about this and the following makes the most sense to me:
the ch-reverse and scale should be applied to the safety value. The purpose of the safety is to force the servo to a specific value, and I think the most intuitive value would be the value you see on the main screen (which does not include scaling)

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
24 Feb 2013 20:42 #6989 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic extended limits on main page problem?
PB, I think you are right. I have not found a case where I would use a safety value outside the range of the regular servo travel. And might it be necessary, I could handle this with mixer scale and offset.

More
03 Mar 2013 01:55 #7238 by PhracturedBlue
I've committed the above change. We'll see how it goes.

More
03 Mar 2013 12:20 - 03 Mar 2013 12:49 #7279 by domcars0
Replied by domcars0 on topic extended limits on main page problem?
Hi PB,
Could you please explain your last changes in mixer.c function MIXER_ApplyLimits() , cause I do not understand (probably I miss something sorry)?
There is
int applied_safety = 0;
and some lines later there is
 if (! applied_safety) { 

For me, code will always goes in this 'if' .. so what is 'applied_safety' for ? Don't you miss:
if ((flags & APPLY_SAFETY) && MIXER_SRC(limit->safetysw)  && switch_is_on(limit->safetysw, _raw)) {
+       applied_safety = 1;
        value = PCT_TO_RANGE(Model.limits[channel].safetyval);
    }
?

Devo 10 (+7e) owner. It's mine, please don't touch it with your big fingers :angry:
Last edit: 03 Mar 2013 12:49 by domcars0.

More
03 Mar 2013 13:43 - 03 Mar 2013 13:43 #7286 by PhracturedBlue
yep. I haven't been able to test on real Tx, so just a dumb mistake.
Last edit: 03 Mar 2013 13:43 by PhracturedBlue.

More
03 Mar 2013 13:52 #7288 by Hexperience
With or without domcars added line it doesn't seem to work for me.

Personally I would prefer to see the true value in the boxes. If it shows -110 then I know the channel is -110. No guess work.

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds