guide to set up the TRIM

More
26 Feb 2013 17:58 #7103 by cmpang
guide to set up the TRIM was created by cmpang
Every time I run into a mess when create a new model and down to the part of setting up the TRIM. It is just a hit and miss and never understand the logic behind the Trim Menu.

Can any one explain what "Input" refers to? and the "TRIMLH+" series means?

I sit down and think why on earth that makes the TRIM function so complicated?

What is TRIM? It is just a simple temperory and convenient means (ONLY to be used during a flight) to compensate any residual mis-centering wherever it is due to the stick, servo, push rod alignment or any other mechanical setting up etc. during a flight. That sort of compensation SHOULD be corrected in a proper way after landing and so the usual park of the TRIM should be ZERO.

In this regard, Trim is very simply. Moving a trim should in effect moves the corresponding stick position by a tiny amount in the same stick direction. Nothing more, nothing less and disregarding how many complicated mixers in behind the cyclic stick. The only thing that a Trim needs to be set up is the Step.

Sorry for my ignorance. Should there be any clever use of the Trim that I have missed, please point it out to me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2013 19:01 - 26 Feb 2013 19:02 #7105 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic guide to set up the TRIM
I will try to explain:

The trim buttons, just like the other controls (like switches and sticks) can be assigned to do more then one thing.
By default they are assigned to work as trims for the sticks, but they could be assigned to be independent "analogue" inputs on their own too.
The assignment is done the following way: you choose to which input (stick, channel, etc) the value will be added, choose the buttons: where "TRIMLV-" means left vertical down button, while "TRIMRH+" means right horizontal up button.
The trim step is trivial, I think...

You usually don't even have to touch this config, because they are configured as trim buttons according to the tx's stick mode by default...
Last edit: 26 Feb 2013 19:02 by FDR.

More
26 Feb 2013 19:51 - 26 Feb 2013 19:58 #7109 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic guide to set up the TRIM
I'll chime in as well.

First, I'm sure you are a heli flyer. Helis, with the exception of fixed pitch do not use trims so much. Fixed pitch helis though usually cannot be setup 100% mechanically. Especially cheaper ones.

Planes on the other hand use trims actively during flight. A plane has different flight envelopes depending on the amount of throttle used and need to be actively trimmed throughout the flight.

This happens with full scale planes too, because of the wing angle of attack a plane usually climbs after a certain amount of throttle is applied, so you need to trim down elevator to keep the plane flying horizontally.

More to this, a plane is much harder to setup mechanically than a helicopter. Helis have metal and carbon fiber and hard plastic as materials. Planes not so much. Lots of foam and wood. Sometimes flexible materials like tape hinges and thin push rods.

I hope I cleared things up for you, just remember things aren't as simple as you think :lol:

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire
Last edit: 26 Feb 2013 19:58 by sbstnp.

More
26 Feb 2013 19:53 #7110 by cmpang
Replied by cmpang on topic guide to set up the TRIM

FDR wrote: I will try to explain:

The trim buttons, just like the other controls (like switches and sticks) can be assigned to do more then one thing.
By default they are assigned to work as trims for the sticks, but they could be assigned to be independent "analogue" inputs on their own too.
The assignment is done the following way: you choose to which input (stick, channel, etc) the value will be added, choose the buttons: where "TRIMLV-" means left vertical down button, while "TRIMRH+" means right horizontal up button.
The trim step is trivial, I think...

You usually don't even have to touch this config, because they are configured as trim buttons according to the tx's stick mode by default...

Thanks for your explaination. Now that I am able to tackle how it works.. However:

1. The default is in the following order (using Mode 1, right hand Thottle): ELE, THR, RUD, AIL. It seems that the order must be stictly followed. That is if I reorder the sequence, everything will be a mess.

2. With the default, all the displayed trimming are ok in the Main page.. BUT not the output. I have to change the defaulted "INPUT" to CH2, CH3, CH4 and CH1 for the ACTUAL output to take effect. SO should they be called "Output" instead of "Input" ?

3. I have not try out yet, but even so, will the Trim add or subtracts the Channel outputs directly and bypassing all the mixing that have delibrately set on the stick?

4. Any means I can do one of the most simple thing to my transmitter, that is "trim the stick"?

5. As a side note, being a R/C pilot for over ten years, I still can't see why, the Trim being one of the most indispensable function in R/C can be scarcified in any way for other functions.. to the least, the default should work AND a warning be poped out should a user really tries to make change to it...

thanks again for your patience...

More
26 Feb 2013 20:09 #7112 by sbstnp

cmpang wrote:
5. As a side note, being a R/C pilot for over ten years, I still can't see why, the Trim being one of the most indispensable function in R/C can be scarcified in any way for other functions.. to the least, the default should work AND a warning be poped out should a user really tries to make change to it...

Can you reformulate this part? I have a hard time understanding what you are trying to say.

What's complicated about this part? Looks simple and straightforward to me... :dry:

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9

More
26 Feb 2013 20:16 #7113 by cmpang
Replied by cmpang on topic guide to set up the TRIM
ha ha..

the default works as in its default form.. mine doesn't work after I have carefully follow the settings in the dafault page and key into my model.

So it is even more confusing.. why with the same setting and it doesn't work for me? May be I have to put more time in the programming ...

I am a Heli as well as a Plane pilot.. a R/C boat captain, a R/C battle tank commander and a R/C submarine as well. None of my R/C can the trim be dispensable..

i,setting to key in my model. So it is now even more confusing..

More
26 Feb 2013 20:17 #7114 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic guide to set up the TRIM
OK, let's continue:

1. The actual order shouldn't really matter. What matters is which buttons are tied to which input (or output or source as you please).
In the default template probably the buttons are listed in this order LV, RV, LH, RH, and the inputs are changed automatically according to the stick mode.

2. What kind of mixer do you use?
Because adding the trims accure at the mixer phase: the Simple and Expo&DR templates always apply the trims to the source if there is a trim configured to it, however on the complex mixer pages you have the option whether you want it to apply or not.
This is because a source can appear more then once in the mixer pages, and you might not always want to add the trim to all of them.
Airplane guys probably could explain better then me...

3. see answer 2.

4. I might not understand that one...

5. Things seem to be more complicated, because deviation has almost no built in functionality at all. The user has to configure all what he wants to the output channels, but with all the freedom it provides.
It's simply different...

I hope someone will explain it better.

More
26 Feb 2013 20:18 #7115 by sbstnp

cmpang wrote: ha ha..

the default works as in its default form.. mine doesn't work after I have carefully follow the settings in the dafault page and key into my model.

So it is even more confusing.. why with the same setting and it doesn't work for me? May be I have to put more time in the programming ...

I am a Heli as well as a Plane pilot.. a R/C boat captain, a R/C battle tank commander and a R/C submarine as well. None of my R/C can the trim be dispensable..

i,setting to key in my model. So it is now even more confusing..

Try increasing the step. Default can be very small with some servos.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds