AR7200BX DSMx issues.

More
29 May 2013 23:08 #10427 by clearprop88
Replied by clearprop88 on topic AR7200BX DSMx issues.
OK. I'll try that when I get back.
BTW I have been flying the heli with my DX6i for about a week, and it flies great, so I know that everything is working.
I'd rather not mess with the end points now because I know that it's OK.
I want to get it working on my Devo 8 because it's a much better TX.
Thanks for your help.
When you get a chance would you send me your .ini file. I'll try it to see if I can get it to work that way.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2013 23:12 #10428 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic AR7200BX DSMx issues.
My ini file is from a devo12, but I'll post it in the configs area. The devo8 should load it. Also keep in mind that I don't use the cyclic channels, I just mix the actual channels.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

More
30 May 2013 02:28 - 30 May 2013 03:02 #10431 by clearprop88
Thanks Hexperience. I see it in the config section.
I lowered the TH to -100, even to -95. That didn't work. Then I disabled TH. That didn't work either. Frustrating.
But at least I know that all other functions are working in DSMX, so that's a plus.
Unfortunately I won't be able to get back to it for a couple of days.

EDIT: I went back to bind the heli with the DX6i just to be sure that the ESC was working normally, and it works like a charm. Something in my Devo 8 is holding off the throttle, and preventing the signal from getting to the ESC.
Last edit: 30 May 2013 03:02 by clearprop88. Reason: Add

More
30 May 2013 03:49 #10434 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic AR7200BX DSMx issues.

Hexperience wrote: But there is no 11ms mode right? No matter what combination of channels or telemetry on/off?

Yes. High Speed mode 11ms is not supported in Deviation.

More
30 May 2013 04:11 #10436 by clearprop88
I have the endpoints setup in my CC Ice Lite 50. I haven't had a problem with it before, and it works fine with the DX6i.

More
30 May 2013 16:37 #10448 by clearprop88
I don't understand this.
Why does my throttle work fine in my Spectrum Tx, but not in my Devo 8?
The next things I have to try is to reset my endpoints, or use the governor mode. But why should I have to do that.
Is this a bug?
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

More
30 May 2013 17:10 - 30 May 2013 17:11 #10449 by Hexperience
Because the dx6i and the devo 8 have different throttle ranges. In fact the DX6i has a known problem that the throttle hold is lower than 0, so some esc's will see the -10 throttle hold as the new low, and when you turn off throttle hold the heli starts to spin up! Happened to me.

Anyway, did you adjust the throttle channel on the devo8 as I suggested?

So that the low scale is -110 or lower?

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 May 2013 17:11 by Hexperience.

More
31 May 2013 01:58 #10451 by clearprop88

Hexperience wrote: Because the dx6i and the devo 8 have different throttle ranges. In fact the DX6i has a known problem that the throttle hold is lower than 0, so some esc's will see the -10 throttle hold as the new low, and when you turn off throttle hold the heli starts to spin up! Happened to me.

Anyway, did you adjust the throttle channel on the devo8 as I suggested?

So that the low scale is -110 or lower?

I tried those throttle settings, but still no luck.
I also tried all combinations of DSMX/DSM2, 7, and 8 channel.

BTW I set up end points in the ESC, about a week ago, using my 2801 Pro, not the DX6i, but it works in the DX6i. I had it in governor mode, but decided to change it to endpoints because in gov. mode the motor starts as soon as I release TH. I prefer to throttle up in normal mode.

More
31 May 2013 18:24 - 31 May 2013 20:26 #10468 by clearprop88
Well I finally got the throttle to work. I had to set the min limit to -121 to get the ESC to arm. I now have it set to -123.
It seems very low, but that's what it needs to arm.
EDIT:
It almost worked. The motor cut out on me about 3 minutes into the flight. Fortunately I was close to the ground, and was able to autorotate to a safe landing.
Next I'll try governor mode. I think that should work.
Last edit: 31 May 2013 20:26 by clearprop88.

More
31 May 2013 21:05 #10469 by Hexperience
Yeah, it's weird. The AR7200bx has the throttle safety thing. Ok, but why does the ar7200bx think that the throttle is not 0 even though we have bound to it at zero? Weird...

After I used the aux2 channel to calibrate the esc, then ar7200bx now doesn't go in to safe mode on the throttle channel.

Anyway, if you want to set your min limit (scale) back to -100 you can try the trick I did.

On the Devo set channel 7 (aux2 on the ar7200) to a straight line -100 to +100, with a source of THR. Then plug the esc into that and power up with the throttle at +100. Then your ESC should go into programming/calibration mode. On mine (K-force) it beeps a couple of times, then you have to wait for the ar7200 to initialize and the moment its done get the throttle down to -100. I found that the esc was only waiting for about 15 seconds for calibration, then went into programming mode, but the ar7200 takes 12 seconds to initialize.

After doing that, plug back into the throttle channel and it worked perfectly.

More
01 Jun 2013 00:06 #10471 by clearprop88
I changed the ESC to governor mode.
Same as before. It flew for about 3 minutes, then the motor cut out on me, and I had a blade strike.
I need to do some repairs now. Mainshaft, blades, FS.

Next I'll try what you suggested.

" Anyway, if you want to set your min limit (scale) back to -100 you can try the trick I did.

On the Devo set channel 7 (aux2 on the ar7200) to a straight line -100 to +100, with a source of THR. Then plug the esc into that and power up with the throttle at +100. Then your ESC should go into programming/calibration mode. On mine (K-force) it beeps a couple of times, then you have to wait for the ar7200 to initialize and the moment its done get the throttle down to -100. I found that the esc was only waiting for about 15 seconds for calibration, then went into programming mode, but the ar7200 takes 12 seconds to initialize.

After doing that, plug back into the throttle channel and it worked perfectly."

More
01 Jun 2013 07:34 #10475 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic AR7200BX DSMx issues.
I don't have an AR7000BX and perhaps are stating the obvious, but maybe you are to close to the problem?

You have the ESC working on both normal and Governor modes - then fly twice for 3 minutes before it (the ESC) cuts, and you could bring it down safely in the first case, indicating the receiver and servo (and BEC?) still worked.

Given these symptoms on any other RC forums where the TX firmware is not in doubt they would suggest check your battery?

More
01 Jun 2013 11:36 #10477 by Hexperience
It could be the low voltage cut off, but it could also be a problem with the esc not knowing the correct throttle range. I know on the YEP you have you have to teach it the correct throttle range before governor mode will work. (From what I've read, I haven't tried g mode yet)

I makes sense though. If the esc thinks that "0" is at -123 and you set your curve flat at +50 (75%) it won't really be 75% for the esc.

?? just putting ideas out there...

More
01 Jun 2013 14:24 #10480 by clearprop88

RandMental wrote:
Given these symptoms on any other RC forums where the TX firmware is not in doubt they would suggest check your battery?

Good idea, but I checked that out.
I checked the data log when I got home. The battery checks OK. No Dip in voltage or current.

More
01 Jun 2013 14:26 #10481 by clearprop88

Hexperience wrote: I makes sense though. If the esc thinks that "0" is at -123 and you set your curve flat at +50 (75%) it won't really be 75% for the esc.
?? just putting ideas out there...

I'm off to the RCX in Long Beach today, but I'll try some of those ideas tomorrow.
This is really frustrating when a gremlin pops up 3 minutes into the flight. Hard to track down.

More
04 Jun 2013 00:59 #10541 by clearprop88
I'm stuck. The motor still cuts out.
Works fine with my Spectrum TX, but not with my Devo 8.

I would like to put it in the Bit Bucket.
How do I do it?

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
04 Jun 2013 06:23 #10544 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic AR7200BX DSMx issues.
Go to https://bitbucket.org/PhracturedBlue/deviation/issues?status=new&status=open and select "Create issue". Do not fill out "Assignee" but the rest.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds