Multiple Modules?

More
26 Mar 2013 17:10 #8118 by DarkWolf
Multiple Modules? was created by DarkWolf
Hey, I'm just about ready to hack open my 8S and install a module from a V911 TX but I had a question.

Can you install more than one external module?

Reason I ask is that the mod install doc states that I need "A7105 or CC2500"..

A7105 thus supporting Flysky and Hubsan... CC2500 supporting Skyartec and Frsky..

So, in order to support all four added protocols, could I indeed install both modules stacked? Or do I have to switch between?

If I've got to switch between, I'll be looking at a way to externally connect and mount them.

Just double checking.. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2013 17:34 #8119 by DarkWolf
Replied by DarkWolf on topic Multiple Modules?
Never mind.. I see that "You can connect up to two additional modules. The 1st module should be connected to the TMS pin, and the 2nd module to the TCK pin."... So that gives three modules at one time which can be installed.

I'll figure out placement inside.

Can you wire all the antenna leads from the modules into the factory antenna? I'm getting a high gain antenna for the TX and would rather route it all through there.

Thanks!

More
26 Mar 2013 18:35 #8120 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Multiple Modules?
Note that the current instructions apparently have some bugs in the connection table (see the skyartec thread) so I wouldn't follow those until the issues are resolved.

You cannot share an antenna across modules (though with a Devo7e you could share the anetenna tube I suppose). See the 'Universal Module' thread on a direction that would give a single module, though that is in the distant future.

More
26 Mar 2013 21:15 #8124 by DarkWolf
I don't have the CC2500 yet, so not a big issue for me. For that I'll just hold off.. Be good encouragement NOT to buy more helis.

Ok, so no sharing the antenna.. Even with diodes or something in place? Bummer... I guess it's a lower priority for me anyway though since I'm using this for the factory orange box support over the added modules. It will suffice to run a better antenna on just it and keep the others internal.

A universal module would sure be awesome. Always wonder why they didn't have more unification on the standard like the 72 range.

More
27 Mar 2013 15:02 #8148 by DarkWolf
PB, I've got an issue when putting in the V911 board.. All the leads were soldered and are clean, but when I power on the unit, the light blinks on for a second and then goes out. No sound, no boot.

When I desolder the VDD lead from the PCB or Pin 5 on the V911 module however, I can turn it on just fine.

Any thoughts?

More
27 Mar 2013 15:06 - 27 Mar 2013 15:10 #8149 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Multiple Modules?
Possible you use instruction with errors in connections.

V911
pin 5 - to GND
pin 6 - to VDD

Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Mar 2013 15:10 by vlad_vy.

More
27 Mar 2013 15:15 #8150 by DarkWolf
Ah.. Yeah. I thought it was the CC2500 pins that were flawed.. The above isn't the same as the instructions.

I'll redo the connections again later. Right now I pulled the whole thing to ensure it would still work, which it does.. Had an issue of the power cycling even with the pin 5 disconnected, so I thought it was frying. :p

All good. Thanks for the correct pinout! :)

More
27 Mar 2013 15:49 #8152 by DarkWolf
That worked perfectly, vlad. Resoldered the leads and tested with the module hanging out the side of the TX. Bound and good. Had to reverse all but the throttle on the 911, but it's flying fine. Will have to muck with the settings later.

Thanks!

More
28 Mar 2013 03:18 #8173 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Multiple Modules?
I have updated the instructions now. Hopefully they are correct

More
10 Apr 2013 08:30 #8821 by Felixrising
Replied by Felixrising on topic Multiple Modules?
After upgrading to 3.0 my 7105 module stopped working. This post mentions a tx.ini edit to get it working again but I think this belongs in the moduleinstallation.pdf or the manual if a manual edit is required to re-enable stuff that worked previously. www.deviationtx.com/forum/how-to/1228-fl...th-pics-devo-8s#8617

More
11 Apr 2013 14:16 #8854 by myxiplx
Replied by myxiplx on topic Multiple Modules?
Hi folks, I've got a quick question on installing modules, does this break compatibility with the stock firmware? Do you need to update the firmware to Deviation before making these mods, or do the modules just sit idle on the stock firmware?

More
11 Apr 2013 16:41 #8860 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic Multiple Modules?
Installing modules you use JTAG pins not used in original design for any other purpose. So unless you need to reflash your Devo on very low level you're fine.

In my Devo I installed it with ribbon cable and header, so I can plug a module in, or remove it if need arises.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
11 Apr 2013 16:47 #8862 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Multiple Modules?
In other words: the original Devo firmware is not aware of additional modules and can not use them, but they do not harm.

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds