Model INI files?

More
28 Mar 2013 18:14 #8207 by DarkWolf
Model INI files? was created by DarkWolf
Do they HAVE to be named model[#].ini or can I load off of stupidplane.ini or something?

It's a PITA to keep track of which # model you're on vs just the name.

Just wondering. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2013 18:37 #8210 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Model INI files?
At the moment they have to be continuously named model#.ini, otherwise they won't be shown on the list so you couldn't load them...

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
28 Mar 2013 21:02 #8215 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Model INI files?
Every time I try to save / order / cleanup my model files (which grow without any new bird because I copy the config before trying something new...) I feel bugged... I have written some shell scripts to make it easier but where have I put them last week?
If we address this point it might be difficult to have a special order other than alphabetical. Would it be a problem for anyone?
Implementing should not be too hard... We should have a method for renaming the files where the model name is defined too.
STOP!
What I have forgotten: new files can not be created with the file system library used. Is it ever possible to rename a file? If not we could only rename them on the PC and let them be read...
Stop again.Do we have to know the file name? Is this the reason why the files must have numbers without gaps?
So maybe it is not as easy as it looks on the first sight...

More
28 Mar 2013 21:22 #8218 by FDR
You can browse a directory, it is done on the template load and icon select too, so listing all the model files can be done.

However AFAIK the FAT implementation still can't create new files, and I think it applies to renaming too...

More
28 Mar 2013 22:12 #8225 by DarkWolf
Replied by DarkWolf on topic Model INI files?

FDR wrote: At the moment they have to be continuously named model#.ini

That's what I thought you were going to say.

I don't see though why you say that FAT can not create new files? Perhaps I'm missing something there. What language is the firmware written in?

More
28 Mar 2013 22:46 #8229 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Model INI files?
The 'petitFat' code we are using does not have file-creation capabilities. This is a tradeoff for very small code size. We have room for larger code on the Devo6,8,10,12 but not the Devo7e. I do not really want to maintain 2 different FAT code implementations in Deviation. File creation is also really bad in FAT for flash (without wear-leveling). By preventing file creation it will prolongthe lifespan of the flash chip.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
29 Mar 2013 08:24 #8239 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Model INI files?
FDR and PB,
when I have understood correctly it would be possible to rename the files on PC and store them via USB in the models directory and we could enhance the get_model_file in a way CONFIG_ReadTemplateByIndex works?
Or would it be better for flash lifetime if the files don<'t change their names?

More
02 Apr 2013 08:13 #8420 by FDR
Yep, it would be possible, however wouldn't be able to maintain the order.

Furthermore that list is used elsewhere too, like the "Save To" function, in which case it would be pointless to select a "genius.ini" to copy the config of the "ladiybird.ini" to...

And there is still a limit by the 8.3 naming convention...

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds