8S gimbal size

More
30 Mar 2013 03:06 #8264 by mono
8S gimbal size was created by mono
hello to all :)
I have a question regarding the screw mounting hole spacing for the 2 outer screws of a Devo 8S gimbal, the screws are internal unlike many other radios. If anyone with a set of verniers could please measure this I would be most grateful for the answer.
The inner mount holes are not so critical as I can see from pictures that they are differently spaced (slightly offset) to the outer ones.
Reason for needing this info is so that I know if I can fit one of my 3-axis gimbals instead, spacing for that is the normal 52mm. I don't want to buy an 8S and find that it's unsuited for my purpose.
Thank you kindly to anyone who can help with this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2013 08:10 #8271 by Gerhard_H
Replied by Gerhard_H on topic 8S gimbal size
Hi mono !

I intend to open my new Devo 8S today or tomorrow so I can take a look for your matter.
If I have understood right you want to replace one gimbal for another who has three potentiometers (I assume you'll have ail, elev and rudder on one stick).

Regards
Gerhard

More
30 Mar 2013 10:37 - 30 Mar 2013 10:38 #8274 by mono
Replied by mono on topic 8S gimbal size
hello Gerhard
yes, that's correct, all three motion axes on one stick.
The 3 axis gimbals I have are 52mm spacing on all four mounts, which fits many radios. The mounts in the 8S I can see in pictures are not uniform spacing, but as long as the 2 holes nearest the edge of the case are that same measurement then I can make new mount points for the other 2.
I know the Devo 10 is the correct sizing as it's the same case as earlier WK series, but Devo 8S I'm not sure about.
If you should get an opportunity to measure it for me that would be great, thank you.
regards from patrick in oz
Last edit: 30 Mar 2013 10:38 by mono.

More
30 Mar 2013 14:43 #8285 by Gerhard_H
Hi Patrick !

Just opened the radio and made a sketch which I attach. As you said the holes are not arranged in a square, it's a trapezium. I had measured the outside (bottom of the trapezoid) with 53 mm but now I'm a little bit unsure about your 52 mmm.
I hope I could help.

Gerhard
Attachments:

More
30 Mar 2013 16:04 #8301 by mono
That is absolutely excellent Gerhard, I am most grateful for the effort you have put into providing such a detailed response.
53mm is fine, the mount holes are large enough to compensate. I can see from your sketch that this gimbal will work out fine, so now I can see about ordering the radio.
Are you preparing your 8S for installing extra modules?

More
30 Mar 2013 20:33 #8309 by Gerhard_H
Hi Patrick !

I'm happy that I could help you.
Currently there are no intentions concerning module issues. Quite contrary, I am desperate cause I am struggling with the new firmware, I am not able to program one single heli for myself. The manual makes me confuse rather than to help me, no idea how I can make the gyro working for a Mini Cp, for instance. OK, I'll find it out . . .

Regards
Gerhard

More
30 Mar 2013 22:04 #8316 by mono
ah, okay, perhaps I can assist in a rather minor way by suggesting a couple of things.
Have you read the tutorial by forum member hexperience, which is pinned at the top in the How To section?
Or, loaded in one of the mini (or master) cp model.ini's in the Config sub-forum, then go through the menus and look at how the model file has altered things?
Also, are you setting up a model using the advanced (default I believe) or simple interface?
As PB has said, it is a steep learning curve and I'm sure it will take me a while to get my head around it. The addition of the simple interface option is going to assist with making the transition to a mixer based setup, I'm sure.
I try to look at everything from the view that if anyone else can learn and understand something, then so can I... and so can you. It may take more or less time, but we can get there. :)

More
02 Apr 2013 14:34 #8429 by Scream
Replied by Scream on topic 8S gimbal size
Hi Gerhard_H!

Mini CP gyro is on channel 7, what are you trying to do with it?

There is a config. file which is setup for mini CP in the model config section that you could download. It has been optimized for devo10, but it will be a good start for your needs.

IF you post your problems, I think you may be surprised at how helpful people on this forum are! :)

Cheers!
-=S=-

Cheers!
-=S=-

More
03 Apr 2013 13:00 #8457 by Gerhard_H
Hi mono & Scream !

Thx a lot for assistance, in the meantime I became more and more familiar with the new firmware, downloaded the last manual too.
At the moment I'm happy.

Regards
Gerhard

More
07 Apr 2013 09:06 #8677 by mono
hello Gerhard
pleased to see from your last reply (and your threads) that you are getting everything sorted out. :)

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds