Possible bug in Fmode syntax for toggle icons?

More
16 Apr 2013 09:27 #8977 by myxiplx
Hey folks,

While awaiting the delivery of my Devo 10, I'm amusing myself by setting up the configs in advance. I think I have everything working, but the way you get the flight mode icons working in the sim seems a bit odd.

For the flight mode button, the sim displays the output for each of its modes:
FMODE0
FMODE1
FMODE2

But I couldn't get reliable behaviour of the toggle icons using these. In the end, to get icons for Fmode1 and Fmode2 working at the correct times I had to use this:

toggle3=FMODE
tglico3=0,6,0
toggle4=FMODE1
tglico4=0,7,0

Now when I run the simulator:
Toggle 3 shows the F1 icon when FMODE1 is active
Toggle 4 shows the F2 icon when FMODE2 is active

While it works, that's not at all intuitive, and feels wrong to me. I feel these toggles really should be running from FMODE1 and FMODE2, not FMODE and FMODE1, could this be a bug?

Thanks,

Ross
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
16 Apr 2013 10:15 - 16 Apr 2013 10:16 #8979 by rbe2012
The toggles do not care for the switch state. This is why they have 3 values:
toggle3=FMODE
tglico3=0,6,0
This means: toggle switch is the FMODE switch. This one has 3 states. When state 0 is active, the first icon in the list tglico3 is shown (in this case icon 0 what means an invisible icon). For state 1 the second is taken (6) and for state 2 the third (invisible again).
So you will see the selected icon only when FMODE is in pos.1 because for pos.0 and 2 there is no visible icon (although you can define this; I often use a green icon for pos0, a yellow one for pos.1 and a red for pos.2 - you can see how good my flight abilities are...).
Mine would be
toggle3=FMODE
tglico3=12,13,14
Your second example is the old syntax. In elder versions (before we had multiple toggle icons for one switch) the switch's state had to be given like this:
old:
toggle2=MIX0   / tglico2=1
toggle2=MIX1   / tglico2=2
toggle2=MIX2   / tglico2=3
toggle3=!MIX0  / tglico3=4
toggle4=FMODE1 / tglico4=0,7,0	 # your 2nd example
will be new:
toggle2=MIX    / tglico2=1,2,3	 # first three lines now in one
toggle4=MIX    / tglico3=0,4,4   # !MIX0 = MIX1 and MIX2
toggle4=FMODE  / tglico4=0,0,7   # ???shifted one place because FMODE1 was given 
The last one seems wrong to me too, I take a look into the code. My expectation is that the number after the switch is removed.
Nevertheless your snippet of the config file is erroneous at this point. You should change something except toggles and save the model config. When you compare it to the posted parts you will see what deviation does internally with the read config - it will always write syntactical correct files.
Last edit: 16 Apr 2013 10:16 by rbe2012.

• rbe2012
More
16 Apr 2013 10:31 #8980 by rbe2012
I tested it out: it reads as I thought (this might be ugly, but using a malformed config file can produce unwanted results - so I wouldn't call it a bug (but could probably fixed)) and it writes correct (write the file and read it again and you see both icons are active at pos1).

More
16 Apr 2013 10:49 #8981 by myxiplx
Aaah, thanks. I wondered what the three values were for, I couldn't find anything documented so took a guess based on the other config files. That explains exactly what I was doing wrong, I've updated the ini file and it's working great now.
Attachments:

More
16 Apr 2013 13:30 - 16 Apr 2013 13:31 #8983 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Possible bug in Fmode syntax for toggle icons?

The toggles do not care for the switch state. This is why they have 3 values:
toggle3=FMODE
tglico3=0,6,0

Hi RBE: Good start for our modelsxx.ini file documentation!
Last edit: 16 Apr 2013 13:31 by RandMental.

• rbe2012
More
16 Apr 2013 14:25 #8988 by rbe2012
Oops, this was not intended... documentation is often boring :whistle:
But to be honest: I thought about that too. This thread showed again that many (only some?) people edit their config files instead of using a potentially complex user interface to change the values. A documentation should point to the corresponding place in the gui.
Should we open a new thread beyond "How To"?

More
16 Apr 2013 15:05 #8990 by myxiplx
I don't know if I would class me as a typical user. I've been flying Heli's since Christmas, but have spent 20+ years working in IT.

Editing INI files is second nature for me, but I have to say they've been a great way to learn. Being able to download a model for the heli I'm looking to buy, then read through the INI file to see how it's setup, and then test it out on the simulator... That's been a godsend.

I've ordered a Devo 10 + Super CP, they're not going to be here for 2-3 weeks, but I already have the models setup for Deviation. I'm not going to need to spend hours fiddling with settings on a tiny screen, 5 minutes uploading an INI file and I'm ready to go, with models 1, 2 and 3 setup for my Super CP, V911, and a PC SIM.

I'm loving deviation already :-D

More
16 Apr 2013 15:11 #8991 by FDR
...then no, IMO you are not a typical user. ;)

More
16 Apr 2013 15:34 - 16 Apr 2013 15:35 #8992 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Possible bug in Fmode syntax for toggle icons?
Do we have a typical user? ;)

Based on posts in this forum we have the full range of skills - that to me is part of the fun of this project. I can add a few names, but then rather not...

1 month RC and Heli exp; No programming ; No IT or PC exp;
_ to _
20 year RC and Heli expert; No programming ; yip, can switch a PC on;
_ to _
20 year RC and Heli expert; 20+ Years programming ; 20+ years IT and PC exp;

and any possible combination and permutations thereoff :-)
Last edit: 16 Apr 2013 15:35 by RandMental.

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds