Model changes by itself in Devo 10

More
11 May 2013 03:58 - 11 May 2013 04:00 #9822 by RoJAck
Model changes by itself in Devo 10 was created by RoJAck
I noticed someone mentioned a similar problem in one of the other forums, so I wonder if it is firmware related.

I'm using Deviation 3.0.0 on a Devo 10.
The symptom I'm seeing is that after selecting a model, after shutting off the transmitter for a while, like 10 minutes or so, then turning it on, *sometimes* the last selected model is no longer the current model, and a different one is now selected. (Usually one I had selected a few models ago.)

This seems to only happen for me when I've been changing models recently in the same session. Somehow a previously chosen model appears when I turn on the Tx instead of the last one I selected.

I wonder if this may be related to another symptom I saw, which is after I made a change to a model in the Tx, then connected USB and uploaded the .ini file to my PC, the file did not have the change, yet the Tx showed the change on the Tx screens. After I selected a different model and uploaded the .ini file again, the change showed up in the newly uploaded file.

Something funny going on here. Sorry I don't have more detail or specifics on exactly when this happens. I just noticed it a few times so far.
Last edit: 11 May 2013 04:00 by RoJAck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2013 04:23 #9824 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Model changes by itself in Devo 10
I have experienced this a few times myself, but I could not get it reproduced consistently.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

More
11 May 2013 04:40 - 11 May 2013 04:41 #9826 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Model changes by itself in Devo 10
I have such thing also, with Devo8.
Last edit: 11 May 2013 04:41 by vlad_vy.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
11 May 2013 05:47 #9828 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Model changes by itself in Devo 10
This sounds strange for me. The way the code is implemented should not allow such a behavior. Maybe there is a bug in the file system?

RoJAck wrote: I wonder if this may be related to another symptom I saw, which is after I made a change to a model in the Tx, then connected USB and uploaded the .ini file to my PC, the file did not have the change, yet the Tx showed the change on the Tx screens. After I selected a different model and uploaded the .ini file again, the change showed up in the newly uploaded file.

As long as the model config is changed but the tx is not shut down or another model is selected the model parameters are not written to the file system - they are hold only in memory (reducing write cycles). So at least this is an expected behavior and nothing to worry about.

• rbe2012
More
11 May 2013 05:50 #9829 by rbe2012

RoJAck wrote: The symptom I'm seeing is that after selecting a model, after shutting off the transmitter for a while, like 10 minutes or so, then turning it on, *sometimes* the last selected model is no longer the current model, and a different one is now selected. (Usually one I had selected a few models ago.)

Is it possible that the presented model is the one which was selected last time while proper shutting down the tx?
When switching the tx off, the tx config is rewritten if it changed. The selected model is stored inside so if another model is selected deviation will write the tx.ini new.
But there is a safety mechanism built in: if the voltage is too low to guarantee that the write will be successful is is skipped (but as far as I remember there should appear a warning dialog).

More
11 May 2013 06:06 - 11 May 2013 06:08 #9831 by vlad_vy
It not depends from battery charge level, I have that occasionally with fully charged battery. Change model, then shutdown Tx, and the next time I switch on Tx, I get previous model.
Last edit: 11 May 2013 06:08 by vlad_vy.

More
11 May 2013 06:10 #9832 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Model changes by itself in Devo 10
I think it happens mostly when turning off the TX while in mixer or other menus. But I can't say for sure, I don't really have much free time to play with my "toys".

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

More
11 May 2013 06:12 - 11 May 2013 06:14 #9833 by vlad_vy
Definitely I did that at main page. Every time. But I can't reproduce that, it has place occasionally.
Last edit: 11 May 2013 06:14 by vlad_vy.

More
11 May 2013 18:11 #9867 by RoJAck
Replied by RoJAck on topic Model changes by itself in Devo 10
Thanks RBE, and other folks too...

I now understand about minimizing filesystem writes. Makes sense, and I do remember the original Devention software did a write when shut off. As long as I understand what's going on, I feel comfortable.

Good clues on the model changing issue, I'll pay more attention to what I do and what state the Tx is in, to try to characterize when the unexpected model switching occurs. Fully charging batts now to eliminate one possibility. These are NiMH, by the way (Eneloop).

• rbe2012
More
11 May 2013 20:42 #9874 by rbe2012
It is told about Eneloops that they hold the voltage over a long time but fall down quite suddenly. I use them too with a warning at 4.4V and I think it's only half an hour flight/usage time from 4.7V down to 4.4V while it takes much longer going down from fully loaded 5.1V to 4.7V.

More
13 May 2013 20:04 #9942 by myxiplx
Replied by myxiplx on topic Model changes by itself in Devo 10
Hi folks, nothing much to add other than this sounds like it could be specific to your transmitter, batteries or config. I also have a Devo 10 running 3.0 and haven't experienced a single problem. I switch between live and simulator models regularly, and I'm practicing daily turning the transmitter on and off probably half a dozen times a day.

I've not gone below 8V yet, and typically run 10-12v with a fresh set of AA batteries.

More
14 May 2013 01:16 #9964 by richardclli
Replied by richardclli on topic Model changes by itself in Devo 10
I didn't experience this either, I used 2S LiPo battery in my Devo8S and set warning to 6.8V.

More
14 May 2013 04:25 #9970 by RoJAck
Replied by RoJAck on topic Model changes by itself in Devo 10
Yeah, it certainly doesn't happen all the time, and we're not sure what aggravates the condition yet, but several folks are seeing this so it's real. Not sure if it's just Devo 10 or other Txs as well. I noticed it during some heavy programming sessions with lots of copying and model parameter changes. I'll will make some notes next time I'm doing some model programming and try to catch when it happens.

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds