DEVO 12s,... how does everyone like compared to 8s

More
17 May 2013 15:59 #10081 by jvulte
So I have a Devo 8s and 6 walkera helis,.... The screen on my 8s is starting to have vertical lines across the screen so I am thinking it may shat out shortly. Have been looking at the 12s, Sure does look like a nice system! I do really like my 8s, especially after Deviation 3.0

Question is,.. for those who have the 12s. How do you like it? Do you feel its worth the $? I don't really need more than 8 channels, but I really dig the giant size screen, and the ergonomics and looks are pretty impressive.

Would anyone recommend sticking with another 8s instead?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2013 16:10 #10083 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic DEVO 12s,... how does everyone like compared to 8s
'Worth the money' is a really hard thing to answer.
The Devo12 is a really nice system. The build-quality is better, it has 3-way switches all-around, and more controls than I know what to do with. The screen is brighter than the 8 (though honestly I've never compared them in full sunlight).
Be aware that I am not claiming that quality-assurance is any better on the 12 than any other radios. This is Walkera's main weakness. there are far too many reports of hardware failure, and the 12 does not seem to be an exception.

However, as far as capabilities go, with Deviation, the 12 won't really provide much new as far as capabilities go. Besides the additional controls, you'll get a real-time clock (not yet in Deviation trunk), and the bigger screen (but current Deviation trunk doesn't use it all yet).
It is currently harder to work with the filesystem (unlike the Devo6/8/10/12, the 'media' directory is not directly USB accessible), but I have a plan to address that.

I still do almost all of my development on my Devo8, but that is mostly because it is so hacked up, I don't worry about damaging it. However I personally like the Devo12 best of my Devo collection.

More
17 May 2013 16:12 #10084 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic DEVO 12s,... how does everyone like compared to 8s
FYI, you can contact Walkera. I've heard of people getting replacement displays from them I think. If not, you could buy one and replace it yourself, though it requires unsoldering and re-soldering a ribbon cable which requires some level of soldering competence. You could probably do it for ~$20 though.

• Raimili
  • DEVO 12S "Slope-Gliders" wellcome
More
17 May 2013 16:14 - 17 May 2013 16:20 #10085 by Raimili
Hi jvulte,

I have the 12S now for weeks an I am amazing about this TX.

Aktualliy i use the org. Firmware and that is ok. for me.
(I donĀ“t understand the Mixer Section now)
I fly with the 12s Sailplaves above to 4,5 meters, also with Brushless Motors,
and Hotliners.

What I miss is the choice to save the telemetry scores after the flight.

But i also hope that deviation i a very good way fo implement them.

The 12s have very good Sticks and Switches, and it feels no way cheaper than my FUTABA FC28.

Yes the 12s is a very good deal for your money. - whith potential to have more comfort.
The WideScreen ist great.

Greetings from Germany
Raimili

...(hoping that anyone creates a simple Mixer GUI (Sailplane) for noopes like me)
Last edit: 17 May 2013 16:20 by Raimili.

More
17 May 2013 16:23 #10086 by jvulte
Great! Thanks for the feedback guys,.. I think I will try to contact Walkera about that screen for now, because the 8s is GREAT for now. Maybe by the time I need a new TX, Deviation will have more for the 12s. If not, it's still something to look forward to! :D

More
19 May 2013 12:17 #10110 by Pattaya01
I have been comparing many systems before I decided to go for the 12S. Absolutely satisfied and value for the $$$.

Only 1 thing I don't like: the battery indicator. It shows only 1 bar less (so you think you have at least 80% left), starts beeping for low battery and switches off in 1 minute. Luckely this did not happen in flight!!!! Since then, I recharge regularly regardless the status.

More
16 Sep 2013 06:48 #13813 by jvulte
What are you using for a Batt,.. is it only showing 1 bar less, because of 4AAs? I have been using 7.2v lipo in my 8s for quite a few months now, without issue. I am wondering if the indicator reads differently with 7.2v.

More
16 Sep 2013 18:10 #13830 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic DEVO 12s,... how does everyone like compared to 8s
The 12s runs off of a 1 cell lipo... Yep.. 4.2 -> 3.7 volts. (or lower if you are brave.. ;) )

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

More
09 Oct 2013 10:48 #14381 by EduardS
Can anyone compare screen readability of the 12S vs the 8S in direct sunlight? Is the 12S readable in direct sunlight?

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
09 Oct 2013 11:00 #14382 by rbe2012
Let me tell you: they don't differ much. You have to set both to full brightness and you can work with both outside on a sunny day. But you need more guessing than seeing when the displays are in direct sunlight.

We have a bright day here today. but no sun. I would say that the Devo12 display is a little bit better in brightness and contrast than the one from Devo8.

More
09 Oct 2013 11:49 #14383 by EduardS
Thanks for your answer, rbe2012!

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds