A silly question about channels.

More
21 May 2013 15:56 #10198 by undeliverable
A silly question about channels. was created by undeliverable
I'm pretty new to the RC scene but I love to tinker and mod just about everything in site. I was looking at the DEVO line of transmitters and was initially looking at the 7e and the 10. I was leaning twords the 10 because of raw channel count, but after finding the Deviation firmware I am seeing that it the Devo8s supports 12 channels under DeviationX? Is the same true of other Devo transmitters supported by DeviationX?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2013 16:52 - 21 May 2013 16:53 #10207 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic A silly question about channels.
Usually the number of channels is counted by the number of physical methods of manipulating those channels, meaning: sticks, switches, knobs.

Deviation supports more than the advertised number of channels because it allows the user to map more switches to channels, unlike the stock firmware.

If 8S supports 12 channels, then Devo 10 supports 14 channels.

Anyway, the number of channels on a transmitter doesn't make it better, it all depends on the user's needs.

For example, CP helicopters need a minimum of 6 channels. Most aircraft need 4 channels. Extra channels can be used for retracts, lights, etc.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire
Last edit: 21 May 2013 16:53 by sbstnp.

More
21 May 2013 17:05 #10208 by undeliverable
Replied by undeliverable on topic A silly question about channels.
I see. That helps a great deal. I would like to get something that offers growth potential and both look like great transmitters. I will be outside in the sunlight for most of the time so I may grab the 10 just for readability. I cant imagine managing 12 or 14 things all at once in any event. At the moment Im having trouble getting off the ground. Thanks for the help.

More
21 May 2013 23:40 #10217 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic A silly question about channels.

sbstnp wrote: For example, CP helicopters need a minimum of 6 channels.

Not to disagree, but some don't necessarily use the gyro gain channel, so can get away with 5 channels (my old eSky King v2 for example)

undeliverable wrote: I cant imagine managing 12 or 14 things all at once in any event.

Thing is you don't need to be controlling them; you can set the TX can do all sorts of clever things, for example on a plane you could deploy landing gear (a separate channel) when the throttle goes under say 10%, on a car you could trigger brake lights, reversing lights, even have little blinkers going if you turn the wheels more than x% when going less than y% throttle (just to be a smart-alec to your competitors :P ) purely through some clever programming of the TX and without touching an extra switch.

More
22 May 2013 04:31 #10221 by sbstnp

RoGuE_StreaK wrote:

sbstnp wrote: For example, CP helicopters need a minimum of 6 channels.

Not to disagree, but some don't necessarily use the gyro gain channel, so can get away with 5 channels (my old eSky King v2 for example)

True, but those are exceptions, rule of thumb is you need 6 channels.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
22 May 2013 04:42 #10225 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic A silly question about channels.

sbstnp wrote: If 8S supports 12 channels, then Devo 10 supports 14 channels.

Just to clarify: deviation supports 12 channels independent from the hardware.

More
22 May 2013 07:18 #10230 by domcars0
Replied by domcars0 on topic A silly question about channels.
For me a channel is a 'transmission' channel, that means the number of channels in which TX can transmit informations.
As said by rbe2012 Deviation supports 12 channels (but not in all protocols) even with the devo7e which has only 2 sticks and 2 switches.

Devo 10 (+7e) owner. It's mine, please don't touch it with your big fingers :angry:

More
22 May 2013 09:58 - 22 May 2013 09:58 #10233 by sbstnp

domcars0 wrote: For me a channel is a 'transmission' channel, that means the number of channels in which TX can transmit informations.

For you maybe, but makers advertise transmitters based on how many user-accessible channels are there.

Take Spektrum for example, you have DX6i which is clearly limited at 6 channels, even though the protocol transmits 7 or 8, the hardware is obviously capable of more, you cannot manipulate more than 6.

Same with other brands.

With some Devo transmitters you have extra knobs and switches which can be mapped to channels, even if the protocols currently supported can't work with more than 12.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
Last edit: 22 May 2013 09:58 by sbstnp.

More
22 May 2013 14:19 #10237 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic A silly question about channels.
I thjink the point was only that Deviation treats number of control inputs and number of transmitted channels independently. So a Devo7e can theoretically transmit 12 channels to an RX1202, though you'll need to figure out how to create those with the 6 inputs available.

The Devo12 running deviation has 18 control inputs, but still only supports 12 outputs. This gives you more flexibility on how you map the controls.

There is not much in Deviation that prevents adding additional output channels, but none of the protocols we support seem to support it (I guess DSM theoretically supports 14channels, but I've never seen an Rx that does)

More
22 May 2013 15:17 #10239 by undeliverable
Replied by undeliverable on topic A silly question about channels.
That is all super helpful. I'm sure it will make more sense once I get my Devo10 and start setting it up. It sounds like with the Deviation firmware just about any Devo model will more than hold its own against the competition.

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds