Devo7e/10 users: Do you configure the main screen?

More
20 Jun 2013 04:56 #11156 by PhracturedBlue
I am developing a new page configuration screen for the devo8/12 (see here: www.deviationtx.com/forum/7-development/1899-pb-s-newgui )

I am now trying to figure out what to do about the devo7e/10.

I can port the same interface I'm using on the Devo8 to the 128x64 screen. I already have it working to some extent:

However, I'm realizing that the 128x64 screen is much more limited than the higher-res screen as far as a configurable display goes.

So I'm wondering what the current usage is.
Do you actually modify the screen layout? I don't mean changing what sources are in what boxes, I mean changing from inside to outside trims; configuring more boxes and forgoing the model icon; etc

Do you wish you could place more toggle icons than you can today?
Do you want more configurability on the main screen, and for what purpose?

Finishing up the work I'm doing isn't too much work, but the interface isn't as convenient as on the color screens, and so I'm not sure it is a good tradeoff vs a more limited solution like the one that is currently available on the Devo10/7e.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2013 12:23 #11164 by FDR
:blush:
Sorry, everybody!
I moved this thread to an other forum, so now you can post repies...

More
20 Jun 2013 16:18 #11168 by Scream
Hiya!

Devo 10 addict here... IMHO the screen is used to setup and to verify if I'm ready to fly. When I'm at the field, strapped in...cant barely see the screen so I'd like to fiddle around at that point as little as possible.

That means the more condensed info I can have at once the happier I am.

Model Icons are nice, but considering how limited they are I don't use them. I'd rather know the outputs of the channels at a glance so I can quickly verify the current model parameters...

As for swapping around boxes & layouts, I'd bet everyone has their own personal preferences, but don't change them once they figure out what's most comfortable to them. Except for the name at the top left; all my models look the same :)

I'd like to take a moment to plea/beg and possibly bribe for the possibilities of having more than 4 toggle boxes! PLEASE!

For example, instead of dials, its slightly more practical for me to use the "unused" trim buttons (from trims menu) for fine tuning the gyro on 300x(IMHO)... would be cool if I could see another toggle box (custom icon) to show that i'm not in a fixed mode without having to sacrifice knowing if TH is on, which Fmode im in and which mix mode i'm in.

Also while on the subject of trim buttons... would it be possible to make the trim buttons access the menus 1-4 that currently don't work in devo10 (probably doesn't work in other non color screens too)?

AS far as investing effort to allow B&W screens to have similar functionality... why don't we get a thread where we post our main screens... most common format wins? I'd rather it stays as is, but moving forward I'd sacrifice configurability for enhanced functionality.

Thanks & Happy Summertime fellow DevIAtes!
-=S=-

Cheers!
-=S=-

More
21 Jun 2013 05:36 #11181 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Devo7e/10 users: Do you configure the main screen?
I have checked in a build of the emulator for the devo10 using the new gui configuration.
I don't recommend loading this code on a real tx yet, but I'd appreciate feedback on the interface.
The binary is here:
bitbucket.org/PhracturedBlue/deviation-newgui/downloads

Any feedback should be reported in the following thread to keep it all together:
www.deviationtx.com/forum/7-development/1899-pb-s-newgui

You can now have as many toggle icons as you like :)

More
21 Jun 2013 06:39 #11183 by Scream
WOW PB!

I feel like its xmas in June, thanks! :)

I confess, I've never used the emu before... tried the link and not sure what i'm supposed to do...

Will these features be in a nightly soon? I think the last update I did was when 3.0 was official, so I'm due for a fight with dfuse :)

Cant wait for extra toggels! Now where did I put those toggle icons I made in may??

Cheers!
-=S=-

Cheers!
-=S=-

More
21 Jun 2013 07:04 - 21 Jun 2013 07:10 #11184 by RandMental
I agree with Scream - I use the main screen to validate the setup before take-off, there after a quick look at the timers is probably all I can manage safely.

Trims, in their traditional role, are not used on FBL heli's, so I like Screams idea to use them for other functions - therefore I second the need for more Switch Icon options to show these statuses.

NB: Using a trim button as analogue/proportional input to change gyro gain on the fly would be a great use with the gyro gain shown on the mains screen with the timers. (this might be possible already - still need to try the setup)

Edit: I like the new way of being able to move the boxes and placement around - a big yes, it works great!
Last edit: 21 Jun 2013 07:10 by RandMental.

More
21 Jun 2013 13:29 #11201 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Devo7e/10 users: Do you configure the main screen?

Scream wrote: I confess, I've never used the emu before... tried the link and not sure what i'm supposed to do...

Will these features be in a nightly soon? I think the last update I did was when 3.0 was official, so I'm due for a fight with dfuse :)

Download the zip file for he devo10, unzip it run the executable. Of ocurse that assumes you have Windows or Wine.

I'm seeing some instability issues on the devo10 emulator that I need to resolve before I recommend putting it on a real Tx. I also need to figure out what to do about the devo7e, since I'm now officially out of space.

But we can continue discussion of the features on the other thread.

More
21 Jun 2013 16:34 - 21 Jun 2013 16:36 #11206 by domcars0
Hi,
Just tried the new (emu) Devo10 GUI ...
It's crazy !! Not sure that it's really usefull but it's fun ;)

May be a bug : After configured and moved two toggle icons, emu crashed
while escaping to the main page ....

DEBUG: LCD_DrawWindowedImageFromFile: Image not found: (null)
DEBUG: LCD_DrawWindowedImageFromFile: Image not found: (null)
Incident de segmentation (core dumped)

Devo 10 (+7e) owner. It's mine, please don't touch it with your big fingers :angry:
Last edit: 21 Jun 2013 16:36 by domcars0.

More
21 Jun 2013 17:43 #11209 by Daryoon
Can you guys remind me how to control the emulator?

Do we plug our radio into it via trainer port?

More
21 Jun 2013 17:50 #11211 by FDR
No it is controlled by the keyboard.
You can find the hotkeys in the documentation...

More
21 Jun 2013 17:54 #11213 by notyet
It would be easy for me to imagine giving up the icon.

More
24 Jun 2013 05:23 #11290 by mwm
You mean I can get an icon on the main screen? I've actually never used it.

As others have noted, looking at the screen when you're actually flying is rare, and happens quickly. Which means it's crucial to have all the information you're liable to need while flying on it. I haven't seen a need for more yet, but I'm using the 7E so far.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
25 Jun 2013 01:07 #11320 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Devo7e/10 users: Do you configure the main screen?
As a thought, how about having a simplified smaller model icon? With the 1bit colours it's really hard to make a half-decent looking icon anyway, so what if it was really stripped back so you could just make out the profile of a copter, plane, quad or tri? eg. 16x16? Doing a google image search for that size icon for plane or helicopter for example gives plenty of usable profiles.

Just so you know you are at least in the right ballpark for your chosen model

More
26 Jun 2013 12:09 #11403 by myxiplx
Wow, just downloaded the emulator. Love it!!!

I agree with the others in that I'm not going to watch the screen often during flight, but I like to have a selection of figures in there so I can keep an eye on things, and I would definitely use this to add more to the screen.

I use all four toggles already (Throttle hold, lower rates, Fmode 1, Fmode 2), straight away I will want to increase this to use 6:

- Throttle hold
- Low rates
- Flight mode 1 / 2 / 3
- Gyro mode

Thinking about what's possible with this, could I add a couple of feature requests for the future:
  • Three way toggle
  • Plan text toggle field

Three way toggles would be great for any three way switches, namely flight mode.

If it's possible being able to enter our own text to display when switches are toggled, that would be great. I could see me preferring that to icons, and it would let me use a layout something like:

Left hand side (general setup + pre-flight):
- Model name
- Flight mode
- Gyro mode
- Throttle hold

Right hand side (in-flight figures):
- Timers
- Throttle position
- Battery voltage
- Gain

More
26 Jun 2013 13:09 #11408 by Scream
WTF!

This is very cool bro! What other crazy stuff do you have in your bag o' tricks? If I find out that you have an auto-level feature similar to IKON that you aren't releasing... I'll be very upset sir! :)

The emu crashes almost as fast as me on my maiden 300x run and it seems mostly coming back from preview mode. OK, not that fast, but tried a few dozen times and always crashed so I don't have anything useful to contribute except encouragement!

I can move boxes around, seems like I can add toggels at will... awesome work!!! Love this concept!

Version 3.2 where art thou!? :)

Thanks!

-=S=-

Cheers!
-=S=-

More
26 Jun 2013 20:32 - 26 Jun 2013 20:34 #11429 by domcars0

myxiplx wrote: ...
I use all four toggles already (Throttle hold, lower rates, Fmode 1, Fmode 2), straight away I will want to increase this to use 6:

- Throttle hold
- Low rates
- Flight mode 1 / 2 / 3
- Gyro mode

Thinking about what's possible with this, could I add a couple of feature requests for the future:

• Three way toggle
  • Plan text toggle field

Three way toggles would be great for any three way switches, namely flight mode.

Hi,

Not sure I understand you but can already use the same toggle indicator with
3 different icons to show the state of a 3 ways switches?

Devo 10 (+7e) owner. It's mine, please don't touch it with your big fingers :angry:
Last edit: 26 Jun 2013 20:34 by domcars0.

More
27 Jun 2013 11:18 #11447 by myxiplx

domcars0 wrote: Not sure I understand you but can already use the same toggle indicator with
3 different icons to show the state of a 3 ways switches?

Yes, you're right. I'd forgotten about that, I couldn't work it out earlier on, but somebody pointed out it's already supported.

Fixing feature requests before I even post them... these guys know their stuff ;-)

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds