Welcomed feeback, I hope so. An outsider lookin in

More
05 Jul 2013 18:59 #11967 by myxiplx
Yes I did, there's nothing wrong with it, he's offering his thoughts on what he would like to see to help everyone learn Deviation. If you read it carefully you'll see he refers to himself as a newbie, he's including himself in the group of people who would benefit from an idiots guide.

And I'll happily include myself in that group too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2013 19:01 #11968 by spartacus
omg i am so sorry, thanx for that.
Bill.

More
05 Jul 2013 19:05 #11969 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Welcomed feeback, I hope so. An outsider lookin in
Keep it civil in here or don't post at all. I expect all members to be on their best behavior at all times in this forum.

More
05 Jul 2013 20:26 #11978 by misterpepper
Replied by misterpepper on topic Welcomed feeback, I hope so. An outsider lookin in
Sorry PB, I'll tone it down. ;)

More
05 Jul 2013 20:29 - 05 Jul 2013 20:31 #11979 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic Welcomed feeback, I hope so. An outsider lookin in

To set up a beastX, I watch a video. To set the end points of a Castle ESC, auto rotate and other, I watch a video. Consider a Deviation video, maybe more than one. FBL Heli, FB heli, Glider, Plane. Mixers. Some or, all? I want to (need to) watch someone set up a heli, step by step, using the advanced set up.

Well, I had to take the time to read your posts about not wanting to read...

I think my "how to" post was pretty easy to read and understand. I used words like "up-ness" and "down-ness" ... but I won't be making the movie version... ;)

Besides... the book is always better than the movie... :)

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Last edit: 05 Jul 2013 20:31 by Hexperience.

More
05 Jul 2013 20:56 #11983 by ave1
Humor is good. I laugh at myself frequently. Ego left me some time ago. In my case, laughing beats crying. :)

The video was just a thought. I'll continue to read and take it slow. "Tenacity" always won out over "mental capability and comprehension" in my case. I'll walk a balance of bothering you guys w questions and just trying things to see cause and effect.

This is the best group I have ever seen or known about. The answers I get reflect the way each of you use and perceive deviation. It will take shape for me.

You should all be very proud of your demeanor and expertise. I'm honored to be a part and only wish I could contribute.

PS: The documentation you all have provided is superior. Once, one of my teachers threw an eraser at me, he was so frustrated at my inability to understand. It's not your fault nor, is there blame. I couldn't laugh then and I do smile now. Ill get it. Ill understand it. Takes me time. Tenacity!

Thank you all so much for allowing my voice.

More
05 Jul 2013 21:12 #11984 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic Welcomed feeback, I hope so. An outsider lookin in

ave1 wrote: "Tenacity" always won out over "mental capability and comprehension"

Now there's a T-Shirt if I ever saw one.

My high school teacher asked me, "Are you ignorant or just apathetic?"
I said "I don't know and I don't care!"

Really though...

Ask questions as you come across them. Understand each concept, so that as you progress you don't get lost by not understanding the "previous lesson" so to speak.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

More
05 Jul 2013 21:22 - 05 Jul 2013 21:52 #11985 by misterpepper
Replied by misterpepper on topic Welcomed feeback, I hope so. An outsider lookin in
Hex, your post was great. I'm sure that after I read it a few more times I'll probably pretty much understand it. My RC background is having had a couple of buggies 20 years ago, then after a decade-ish gap jumped straight to CP heli. Big mistake as I really didn't stick with it long enough to even learn how to hover. Since then I've just messed around with Air Hogs planes and toy helis. Recently I picked up a couple of quads and realized that this hobby can be more enjoyable and less expensive with one good transmitter rather than a bunch of junk ones. I'm capable enough to have modded a 7e with 2 modules, extra switches, shorted the diode, added some power-on LED's, installed Deviation and gotten a couple of quads/heli's flying with my own .ini's. But the more I read the more I can see that I haven't quite understood things correctly. For example, I think my understanding of what scale and the min/max mixer values do is backward. Another thing, is it easier to switch channel controls per protocol in transmitter or by editing the model .ini? I think what I would really like is a step-by-step of how to build a custom .ini from the beginning. Your FBL example is great, and I can see it took a lot of time to put together, but it is still just a little bit over my head until I get a better grasp of the vocabulary.

Edit: To be a little more clear I'll explain a couple of my pitfalls building a model.ini for my V911. Obviously I could have just downloaded one, but I wanted to try it myself, because on the surface it didn't seem too hard. Just customize some rates and stuff, or so I thought.

The first thing I did was grab the model1.ini and set it up for Flysky. That got me bound and at least in the air...briefly. Well, the first problem was that the channels were all screwed up. Throttle and rudder were fine, but through trial and error I figured out that I needed to reverse elevator and aileron. That was confusing because I could see channel settings in the tx.ini, as well as in the transmitter channel settings. Fortunately I adjusted everything in the transmitter (or I'd really be chasing my tail by now) even though in the transmitter they were labeled cyclic 1 and 2. Which says to me that I probably have some additional swashplate mixing going on as well.

This got the V911 flying, and more or less controllable, but it was very twitchy. To tone it down some I adjusted the min/max to 70 and set the scale at 100's. This seemed reasonable based on the brief descriptions of each control in the manual, and what I for whatever reason thought min/max and scale should do. Now it was still twitchy and less controllable, but still flyable. So to tame the controls some I began messing with the speed settings to see if that helped. It did some, but now when I get out of control the lag becomes an issue.

Fortunately it is just a V911 and nothing (or nobody) has been hurt during my experimentation. I've learned a lot more since, but I haven't taken the time to apply my knowledge yet. The next step is to see if I can start to figure out some of this FMOD and switch stuff to get multiple rate setups in the same model.ini. I don't think I'll ever need anywhere close to the full capability of the mixer, but a basic course on the fundamentals would come in handy.
Last edit: 05 Jul 2013 21:52 by misterpepper.

More
05 Jul 2013 21:51 #11986 by Hexperience

misterpepper wrote: Another thing, is it easier to switch channel controls per protocol in transmitter or by editing the model .ini?

Meaning if you switch from the default devo to dsm for example?

In the TX (devo6/8/12 gui) it takes 2 seconds.

Here's the default channel order, because devo is the default protocol.

So when you change the protocol to dms2 or dsmx the channels seem out of order.

But the channels are not out of order, it's just that the Source didn't change. So I click on SIMPLE and change the source to throttle.

Do the same for ELEvator and now the channels match up to the inputs.

Is that what you were referring to?

Attachments:

More
05 Jul 2013 21:58 - 05 Jul 2013 22:00 #11987 by misterpepper
Most likely. Thanks. I'm using a 7e and the menus are different due to the limited screen resolution. That, and I think I set my heli up with in-transmitter mixing when I think the receiver board is doing the mixing for me as well, so I was having to guess what cyclic1 and cyclic2 did instead of just elevator and aileron.

I didn't realize each protocol already mapped the channels correctly, since I needed to do a fair amount of trial and error to get the controls and reversing correct. See my post above, I edited it with my first experience building my own model.ini so you can see some of my pitfalls.
Last edit: 05 Jul 2013 22:00 by misterpepper.

More
05 Jul 2013 22:03 #11988 by Hexperience
I've never edited the ini file. To me the ini file is just a place for the software to save it's settings. It's not meant to be readable by humans.. ;)

Reading your edited post, Yes, you have RATES and MIN MAX mixed up.

What you would find is that the servo would stop moving after you moved the stick 70%. So from 70% to 100% the stick does nothing. This is quite the reverse of what you want to do.

MIN MAX LIMITS are to stop you from breaking servos. They are used to stop binding.

SCALE (rates) allows full movement of the stick 0% to 100% while scaling the amount of movement the servo completes.

So scale (rate) of %50 would mean that when you move the stick ALL the way (100%) the servo will only move 50% of it's range of motion.

More
05 Jul 2013 22:08 - 05 Jul 2013 22:12 #11989 by Hexperience

misterpepper wrote: I think I set my heli up with in-transmitter mixing when I think the receiver board is doing the mixing for me as well, so I was having to guess what cyclic1 and cyclic2 did instead of just elevator and aileron.

That had me a little confused at first as well. The thing is, that even if the cyclic1,2 and 3 are used, there may still be NO mixing done. That is the Swash type setting. So if you see cyclic1,2,3 check the swash type. NONE means there is no mixing happening in the Transmitter. (On the 7e that would be: Model Menu->Model Type->ENT key to display the swash page.

Personally unless I am specifically setting up a flybar heli I don't use the template for that reason.

Last edit: 05 Jul 2013 22:12 by Hexperience.

More
05 Jul 2013 22:13 #11990 by misterpepper
I think I've figured out most of my problems by now. I'm still just getting acquainted with Deviation, but I'll get there. My point was just to show how easy it is for somebody just starting out to get confused.

More
05 Jul 2013 22:18 - 05 Jul 2013 22:33 #11991 by Hexperience
I just built the devo7e emulator to have a look... no offence to anyone's work or choice of purchase, but that gui is... well, interesting...

The menus are actually the same, it's just that they are "zoomed way in".

The devo12 touch screen is a thing of beauty... ;) That's all I'll say.

By the way, just for comparison, here is the mixer page from er9x.

I think it has the same screen resolution as the 7e? 128x64? Anyway, now that the code for the gui has changed so much for the devo8/12 I wonder if anyone will revisit the GUI for the 7e and 10.

Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Jul 2013 22:33 by Hexperience.

More
06 Jul 2013 10:59 #12010 by FDR
That is because the DEVO 10 interface inherited a simplified version of the DEVO 8 interface.
The size is determined by the font size, which is quite big to support the chinese letters, and while the 7E is not internationalizable, it has the same interface as the 10...

More
08 Jul 2013 16:47 #12097 by Scream
Hiya!

Could the font size be automatically resized based on language selected?

I'm thinking this way, English could use a smaller font, French might need a slightly intermediate font (with its chapeaus and accents), ect...

Thanks!
-=S=-

Cheers!
-=S=-

More
08 Jul 2013 18:00 #12102 by FDR
In theory yes, but then you would need different layout too, which is hard coded ATM...

More
09 Jul 2013 03:54 - 09 Jul 2013 03:54 #12115 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Welcomed feeback, I hope so. An outsider lookin in
For pages using the 'Scrollable' widget (basically anything with a scroll-bar), it would not be too difficult to support a smaller font and rescale. There are other pages where that would be completely infeasible though. It would be an interesting experiment to try, scaling the display based on the selected font.
Last edit: 09 Jul 2013 03:54 by PhracturedBlue.

More
09 Jul 2013 04:47 #12116 by sbstnp
Smaller fonts require more objects thus more memory. If we were to automatically scale the display then we probably should:

1. allocate memory dynamically (probably not the best idea)
2. allocate max number of objects regardless of how many would fit.

As PB said, some parts of the UI are very painless to transform (like the menu, mixer, or settings pages), others not so much. There are lots of assumptions and hardcoded things and getting rid of them will take a while.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

More
09 Jul 2013 04:59 #12117 by PhracturedBlue
yep, we'd up the max objects from 4 to 7 or 8 (I think my smallest font is the 04b03 font which is 5+1 high. So leaving a single space above, you could fit 9 rows which is 8 + header.
That font isn't the prettiest in the world, but it is pretty small. the next size is the 5x7 fonts which can fit 8 rows (7 + header). Both are ascii only, and I'm not sure you could even support the Latin character set with it much less Cyrillic.

While there are a lot of hardcodes, Each page is put together in basically the same way, so it would be a relatively easy, though tedious, chore to fix each page.

I probably won't attempt it right away, myself though.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds