Updating 7e firmware not successful, 7e now N/G

More
26 Jul 2013 00:27 - 26 Jul 2013 00:29 #12495 by Jordan
Any help would be appreciated. Used Devention DfuSe USB Upgrade Tool. Upgraded to V2.0 successfully. I flew my mini cp to confirm operation. Then followed all directions for first time upgrade to the letter (I thought). It got to the point of USB symbol on screen, PC found and formatted, copied protocols.

Now, when power up transmitter I get a blank screen. If I connect to PC DfuSe still finds, however, although it seems to load new firmware, or old firmware, it will not come up with anything but a blank screen.

Again, any help would be appreciated.
Last edit: 26 Jul 2013 00:29 by Jordan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2013 04:20 #12497 by stevecox
Are you talking about the newer V3.0 or nightlies I assume. Did you copy the *new* filesystem - same place as the firmware download, not the old one filesystem. You can copy your models and icons from the old but you need the new filesystem base.

Adelaide

More
26 Jul 2013 06:20 #12502 by Jordan
Yes the V3.0 for the 7e. I figured out my mistake in getting back to the USB using ENT, not EXT. I reformatted the drive, installed per directions and I set all configuration, including model - my mini cp with the devo.

Only problem I now have is it won't bind with the mini cp?

What did I miss or mess up this time?

More
26 Jul 2013 07:25 #12503 by vlad_vy
You need delete (clear) Fixed ID, from Tx and probably from Mini CP.

More
26 Jul 2013 07:42 #12505 by Jordan
I deleted from tx. Still will not bind. Being a newbie to setting 6 ch tx I am not aware of how to remove ID on mini cp?

More
26 Jul 2013 09:24 - 26 Jul 2013 09:25 #12509 by vlad_vy
Remove ELEV servo plug, insert bind plug, power on Mini CP, LED start flashing, power off Mini CP, remove bind plug, insert ELEV servo plug.

Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Jul 2013 09:25 by vlad_vy.

More
26 Jul 2013 09:32 #12511 by FDR
...and don't forget, that you have limited time (less then 10s) to bind automatically.

Turn on the tx, then within 10s connect the battery.
Put the model on a level surface, and leave it until the LED goes solid...

More
26 Jul 2013 10:04 #12512 by Jordan
Thank you so much for the help!

Now on to the rest of my learning curve on throttle and pitch curve with a lot of fun along the way!

More
26 Jul 2013 10:14 #12513 by FDR
There is a brilliant writeup about that in te tutorial section:
www.deviationtx.com/forum/how-to/1226-ho...s-on-custom-firmware

...and I also suggest to read the manual a few times too...

More
01 Aug 2013 19:35 #12704 by woodsturning
Replied by woodsturning on topic Updating 7e firmware not successful, 7e now N/G

Jordan wrote: Yes the V3.0 for the 7e. I figured out my mistake in getting back to the USB using ENT, not EXT.

Can you please explain how this was a mistake? The manual says to hold the ENT (Not EXT) button during power up to enter the USB mode?

I am at the same point you were at, got deviation loaded using the recommended tool, used the USB function to unzip the File system to the TX USB drive, then copied the protocols directory to the root of the USB drive (E:). When I power up the TX all I get is a blank screen now. The 2 files I downloaded are both for V3.0 and the Devo 7e so I'm lost as to what went wrong. If anyone can offer a suggestion I'd appreciate it.

I get the same results after multiple attempts (even tried putting the protocols DIR in a couple different locations) and now I cannot get the original SW to display properly when loaded. Really hoping I didn't just waste $70 but it think it's looking that way.

More
01 Aug 2013 22:26 #12707 by woodsturning
Replied by woodsturning on topic Updating 7e firmware not successful, 7e now N/G
I managed to get the firmware back to original minus the models so I guess I can at least pass it along to someone else now in working order and cut my losses.

I'm lost as to why it won't display anything with the deviation FW installed. The only part of the instructions I found somewhat confusing was where it says for step 3)Devo7e owners only: copy ‘protocol’ directory to the transmitter. Then afterwards it says to turn off the transmitter. Unless I'm missing something the transmitter has to be turned off to get into USB mode before the protocol files can be loaded anyway. Right?

It also doesn't make sense to me where it says The entire protocol directory must be copied to the transmitter each time the firmware is upgraded. Loading the firmware doesn't seem to affect the protocol files so if the same firmware is being re installed it seems odd to have to change the protocol DIR too. I must be missing something.

If anyone cares to chime in and clear my confusion I would appreciate it, otherwise I'm at a loss and will have to move on.

More
02 Aug 2013 04:03 - 02 Aug 2013 06:21 #12715 by vlad_vy
Devo 7E
1. Flash (Upgrade) firmware from firmware archive
2. Format Tx USB drive
3. Copy to Tx USB drive 'protocol' directory from firmware archive
4. Copy filesystem to Tx USB drive from 'Devo 10' filesystem archive

Root of Tx filesystem

Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Aug 2013 06:21 by vlad_vy.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
02 Aug 2013 05:59 #12716 by rbe2012

woodsturning wrote: Unless I'm missing something the transmitter has to be turned off to get into USB mode before the protocol files can be loaded anyway. Right?

Yes. The modules are part of the firmware and the tx must be rebooted to recognize them.

It also doesn't make sense to me where it says The entire protocol directory must be copied to the transmitter each time the firmware is upgraded. Loading the firmware doesn't seem to affect the protocol files so if the same firmware is being re installed it seems odd to have to change the protocol DIR too. I must be missing something.

I am not completely sure - the modules have to fit to the firmware. SO if you install a different firmware version you must reinstall the files in the protocol directory with those from the same version.
If you reflash the same firmware version the protocol directory can stay unchanged as far as I have understood.

If anyone cares to chime in and clear my confusion I would appreciate it, otherwise I'm at a loss and will have to move on.

Well, we'll do our best to get your tx working... and at last we will succeed!
Looking at vlads picture: the directory names have not to be in square brackets, this is only what the program he used shows (but I am sure this was clear before..).

More
02 Aug 2013 06:34 - 02 Aug 2013 06:36 #12717 by woodsturning
Thanks for your reply vlad. I'm still getting a blank screen after a couple more attempts.

For step 3 if the usb drive was just formatted there is no filesystem in place for the protocol folder to be placed under as shown in your .jpg. Do I just move it there after putting the filesystem in place? I've pretty much tried putting the protocol folder in every location anyway and it still won't work.

For step 4 shouldn't I be using the Devo7e file system not the Devo 10?

I also noticed that there is another folder below the filesystem root labeled Devo7e and below that I get pretty much what you are showing in the .jpg accept I don't have a language tab as there isn't one in the devo 7e filesystem. I assumed this was ok, since the manual says the 7e doesn't allow language changes.

You show the root of the Tx filesystem but when I unzip either the devo 7e of devo 10 filesystem there is another folder (either devo 10 or 7e) belo
Last edit: 02 Aug 2013 06:36 by woodsturning.

More
02 Aug 2013 06:44 - 02 Aug 2013 06:57 #12718 by vlad_vy
Opsss, Devo 7E used Devo 10 filesystem, but without 'language' folder.

Devo 7E
1. Flash (Upgrade) firmware from firmware archive
2. Format Tx USB drive
3. Copy to Tx USB drive 'protocol' directory from firmware archive
4. Copy filesystem to Tx USB drive from 'Devo 7E' filesystem archive

Root of Tx filesystem

If Tx USB drive is formated, you can just copy filesystem folders to drive. Don't copy 'filesystem' and 'Devo7e' folders itself. But they required when you will use 'Devo 7E' emulator at PC, in that case copy whole 'Devo 10' filesystem folder in to folder with emulator. Devo 7E emulator used Devo 10 filesystem.
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Aug 2013 06:57 by vlad_vy.

More
02 Aug 2013 07:05 #12719 by woodsturning
Thanks vlad and rbe2012, your assistance helped me figure out where the instructions lead me in the wrong direction. Is there anyway to get them updated because as far as I can see they are incorrect and misleading?

After formatting the USB The instructions state: Next unzip the deviation-fs-devoXX-x.y.z.zip to the Tx USB drive.

Well when this is done you end up with a folder named filesystem and another below that one called devo7e and below them is what is actually needed. These extra folders are clearly what messed things up for me.

Even if this is an upgrade from a previous Deviation release the instructions say to unzip the deviation-fs-devoXXx.y.z.zip to the PC and copy all directories EXCEPT for the ‘models’ directory and the tx.ini file to the transmitter. What about the filesystem and devo7e folders they got unzipped too?

I really hope the rest of the instructions are more clear or I'm not going to last long with this one. The only way I figured this one put was with vlads image. Thanks again.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
02 Aug 2013 08:13 #12722 by rbe2012
We should clarify this in the manuals. There has been some confusion about the correct file system structure in the past so it's worth working over the manual.
I filed an issue on bitbucket so it will not be forgotten.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds