Old Devo 8S & new Deviation conversion questions

More
22 Sep 2013 21:30 - 24 Sep 2013 03:43 #13994 by i812
I have an old Devo 8S that I purchased new in 2012.

I recently became interested in Deviating it. I downloaded the Deviation Firmware User's Manual Version 3.0 and followed the Installation Instructions as follows:
  1. Downloaded the DevoDfuSe_v1.7_Setup.exe file from the Walkera website.

2. Installed the DevoDfuSe v1.7 Setup.exe file

3. Tested the DevoDfuSe Tool by:

4. a) Uploading my Devo 8S's original "Config" files (I used the program's upload feature to create a bin file for each the Model numbers 1 through 12) from the Devo 8S to my PC.

b) Uploading my Devo 8S's original "Library" file (I used the program's upload feature to create a dfu file) from my Devo 8S to my PC.

c) Upgrading my Devo 8S's original "Firmware" to Walkera's most recent version: DEVO-8 Fw v1.0A.dfu

d) Upgrading my Devo 8S's original "Library" to Walkera's most recent version: DEVO-8 Lib v0.0.5.dfu

The DevoDfuSe software seemed to install and functioned properly, so I continued to the next step of the Deviation: download the appropriate Deviation files for the Devo 8S. That's when I saw this warning near the top of the Deviation website homepage:

WARNING: The 3.0.0 release of Deviation will not work on recent Devo8 transmitters (labeled as 1.0A or 1.0B). It is necessary to use the nightly builds of Deviation for these transmitters

Since my Devo 8 is over a year old, and is one of the first ones out of the factory, I wouldn't call my Devo8 transmitter "recent"; however, because while I was attempting to verify if the DevoDfuSe software was installed and functioning properly I installed the Devo 8's most recent firmware release 1.0.A

I tried to research what to do, but am still confused:

I don't know if my old Devo 8S is still considered "old" because it is one of the first made over a year ago, or whether my Devo 8S is now considered "recent" because I just installed Walkera's most recent 1.0.A firmware?

Also a slightly differently worded warning is displayed on the Devo 8 Deviation Download "Release Notes" page:

Warning to Devo8/8s users: If you have a very recent transmitter, only the nightly builds of Deviation will work for you and it will be impossible to go back to the stock firmware until Walkera posts updated firmware on their site. If in doubt, ask on the forums first.

It appears as: IF my Devo 8S is a very recent (?) transmitter, only the nightly builds (AFAIK the "nighly build" for the Devo 8 was "built" in APR - almost the same day that the 3.0.0 release was "built") of Deviation will work. Also, it appears as: if I install the "nightly build" version, then "it will be impossible to go back to stock firmware until Walkera posts updated firmware on their site". I'm not certain, but I'm thinking when I upgraded my "old" Devo 8S to the most recent 1.0.A Firmware may have been how it got into this confusion in the first place? Does the fact that I successfully downloaded and installed Walkera's 1.0.A Firmware for the Devo 8S imply that it is now possible to go back to stock firmware after installing Deviation firmware?

I normally am somewhat "paranoid" and try to avoid making "risky" choices until I feel I've considered all the what-if's. I haven't heard any complaints about Deviation, only praises. I saw a YouTube video of a Deviated Devo, and I'm impressed. From what I've read and seen, it seems like I'll be happy with the Deviation firmware, and may never want to convert back to "stock" Walkera firmware; however, if possible I'd prefer to have the option of "backing out".

In attempt to get a better feel of Deviation before converting my Devo 8S, I downloaded and installed the "emu" files; however, when I attempt to run the "emu" program, a "DOS" window pops up with a few words of text, and what appears to be a Deviation (Dual Rate, Sub Trim, etc.) window pops up, then AFAIK both windows appear to be "images" because neither respond to any keyboard or mouse clicks. I read somewhere that it was advised that Deviation "newbies" first get accustomed to using the emu interface before actually using the Deviated Devo. What all has to be done before the "emu" can be used?

Would it be safer/easier for me to install an older version of the Deviation files?

Sorry for the long post, but I'm very confused, and don't know how to explain my situation more clearly with fewer words
Last edit: 24 Sep 2013 03:43 by i812. Reason: Correct typos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2013 04:23 #14001 by FDR
Don't worry, because Walkera already released a new fw (v1.0), so you can go back to stock with no problems. That second warning of us is just obsolete...

Mpst likely your transmitter will work with the deviation v3.0.0, but I advise to use the current nightly build, because it is quite old and stable too...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.029 seconds