DEVO7E replacement LCD

More
13 Oct 2013 12:10 #14554 by blackmoon
DEVO7E replacement LCD was created by blackmoon
Does anyone know about a replacement lcd module for the Devo 7E ?

And btw, is the module in the 7E a parallel, serial or SPI one ?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2013 12:26 #14556 by vlad_vy

More
13 Oct 2013 13:15 - 13 Oct 2013 13:17 #14557 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic DEVO7E replacement LCD
I know Vlad I found that to, the thing is, I only find the lcd display alone ( NT7538 compatible)and not a complete module.

As the purpose is not refitting a Devo7E but converting a WK-2602/03 to deviation, I'll need a complete module.

With the lcd display alone, I would need to make a module to plug it in.

Maybe someone has already found a complete module, that was my question.

I'm sorry that I wasn't clearer on the OP.
Last edit: 13 Oct 2013 13:17 by blackmoon.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
13 Oct 2013 14:38 #14559 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic DEVO7E replacement LCD
SadSack has used an OLED display and brought it to run the 128x64-b/w gui.
You can look here: http://www.deviationtx.com/forum/3-feedback-questions/2256-devo-f7-for-delfly#14498 , maybe this helps.

More
13 Oct 2013 18:49 - 13 Oct 2013 18:50 #14571 by blackmoon
I saw his post, and frankly he has sent me an email about it.

Only thing is with the oled display you have to make some hardware changes on it.

I'm not confident enough to solder like he did on a 0.5mm pitch ribbon cable.

I was looking for a easier solution, these lcd are based on compatible NT7538 controller:

www.buy-display.com/default/graphic-lcd-...24&diagonal_size=306

But they don't sell a module solution you have to make you own adapting pcb, guess I'll have to dig into the datasheet to know the value of caps and other components needed to make a module for that display.

Or I'm maybe completely mistaken and you only have to wire it the right way

This could be used for that purpose, it even has soic adapter on it for the flash chip.

www.ebay.com/itm/200958372441?ru=http%3A...958372441%26_rdc%3D1

I think, I'll go away and order a display, and see if an pcb is really needed or only the zif socket,

I just found their eBay store.
Last edit: 13 Oct 2013 18:50 by blackmoon.

More
13 Oct 2013 19:10 #14572 by SadSack
Replied by SadSack on topic DEVO7E replacement LCD
Hey Blackmoon.

Buy-LCD do all the screens for Devo 7E/10 and 8S<< PB has even taken steps in code for other TFT screens and Buy-LCD have them all.
Now down side you do have to make interface. There quite simple and very low part count. Code changes ARE quite simple...I figured it out :-) I did make pcb for 7e replacement screen.

Now it maybe do'able a Multi Purpose interface PCB to use all 4 screens? OLED/Graphic LCD and TFT.
What do you think or another idea maybe ?

More
13 Oct 2013 19:14 - 13 Oct 2013 19:17 #14573 by SadSack
That PCB does look interesting, could be used to mount flash memory nice find. Still don't have much scope for adding 10 Caps 1 res circuit needed to get screen. not saying it couldn't be added mind.

Edit:

Blackmoon this would be better option on the screens you posted, there sunlight readable www.buy-display.com/default/graphic-lcd-...unlight_readable=336
Last edit: 13 Oct 2013 19:17 by SadSack.

More
13 Oct 2013 19:41 #14575 by blackmoon
Hi Phil,

I knew you would chime in mate :D

Thanks for the complementary information.

Yes pcb adapter looks nice, it was not my finding but Feddo's on the core9x thread at RCG.

Do you know were I can find the schematics for the caps and res needed for the interface, I didn't look at the datasheets yet...

Now it maybe doable a Multi Purpose interface PCB to use all 4 screens? OLED/Graphic LCD and TFT.
What do you think or another idea maybe ?

This would be nice, but maybe to much work since I don't think a lot of users are interested to convert old transmitters to deviation.

It just pains me to see two 2602 and one 2801-pro sitting in their box.

For cheap they could be converted to deviation and make some nice gifts for friends.

I just asked the buy-displays on eBay if they ship the ZIF sockets with the display, I think I'll go for the 2.6" it could be wired in 6800 8-bit Parallel , 8080 8-bit Parallel , 4-Wire SPI.

The 2.9" can only do 8080 8-bit Parallel.

Do you know how the lcd in the 7E is wired, parallel or SPI ?

Thank you.

More
14 Oct 2013 10:18 - 14 Oct 2013 11:21 #14615 by SadSack
Well as for connections if you go to buy-lcd.com IC OR EQUIVALENT for NT7538, Devo 7e/10 use same screen and 4 wire serial. Chose your screen, then look at data sheets and code examples and has all the connects info for interface. Now try not to get lost in screen driver chip all that mostly changes is codes to setup screen but some stay the same.

Now Devo 7e setup uses external resistors for internal regulator for high voltage. And this is how i broke my screen but did having it running 100% using my arduino mini. Other issue i had when i got screen running the first column on the left was on the right side of screen but other wise it worked.

Here my example for oled screen i used and driver chip SSD1306:
// Init sequence for 128x64 OLED module
    LCD_Cmd(0xAE);
    LCD_Cmd(0xD5);
    LCD_Cmd(0x80);
    LCD_Cmd(0xA8);
    LCD_Cmd(0x3F);
    LCD_Cmd(0xD3);
    LCD_Cmd(0x00);                                   // no offset
    LCD_Cmd(0x40);            // line #0
    LCD_Cmd(0x8D);
    LCD_Cmd(0x10); 
    LCD_Cmd(0x14); 
    LCD_Cmd(0x20);
    LCD_Cmd(0x00);                                  // 0x0 act like ks0108
    //LCD_Cmd(0xA0);
    LCD_Cmd(0xC8);
    LCD_Cmd(0xDA);
    LCD_Cmd(0x12);
    LCD_Cmd(0x81);
    LCD_Cmd(0x9F);
    LCD_Cmd(0xd9);
    LCD_Cmd(0x22); 
    LCD_Cmd(0xDB);
    LCD_Cmd(0x40);
    LCD_Cmd(0xA4);
    LCD_Cmd(0xA6);
    LCD_Cmd(0xAF);//--turn on oled panel

Please understand that i may have some of that completely wrong!!

And PB's carefully commented code :

LCD_Cmd(0xE2);  //Reset
    volatile int i = 0x8000;
    while(i) i--;
    LCD_Cmd(0xAE);  //Display off
    LCD_Cmd(0xA6);  //Normal display
    LCD_Cmd(0xA4);  //All Points Normal
    LCD_Cmd(0xEA);  //??
    LCD_Cmd(0xA0);  //ADC Normal
    LCD_Cmd(0xC4);  //Common Output Mode Scan Rate
    LCD_Cmd(0x2C); //Power Controller:Booster ON  <<<This i think was my problem but not needed if you use internal resistor circuit.
    i = 0x8000;
    while(i) i--;
    LCD_Cmd(0x2E); //Power Controller: VReg ON<<<This i think was my problem but not needed if you use internal resistor circuit.
    i = 0x8000;
    while(i) i--;
    LCD_Cmd(0x2F); //Power Controller: VFollower ON
    i = 0x8000;
    while(i) i--;
    lcd_set_start_line(0);
    // Display data write (6)
    //Clear the screen

scroll screen to read my comments.
Last edit: 14 Oct 2013 11:21 by SadSack.

More
14 Oct 2013 10:46 #14617 by SadSack

blackmoon wrote: It just pains me to see two 2602 and one 2801-pro sitting in their box.

For cheap they could be converted to deviation and make some nice gifts for friends.

Well 2602 will need replacement screens but 2801 pro NO! And I'm green with envy the Pro could be near perfect upgrade to Devo10 :-) Fcc database is closed !! so no circuit...bugger but from memory i bet your looking at just cut and solder leads for button matrix. May even have limited use of RF module. I remember PB saying somethings not connected in it so Telemetry will not work but don't quite me :-) And add serial flash which we all ready spoke about.
Lucky git!
I have one Question about 2602. The PPM out is it like the older Walkera TX's where you use dip switches to set ppm out or can it be permanently set for PPm out ?
Why i ask I've done the work for my Multi Rf for my Futaba FG. I was hoping it could be used as upgrade for more basic TX. Just like what your doing but as external module but you would have option to add extra Pot's/multi pole switch's using Rud/Elv/Ali/Thro which will be free to be what ever you need. Only hard bit would be soldering MCU (lots of flux!!) on but from then on easy ?!

blackmoon wrote: Do you know how the lcd in the 7E is wired, parallel or SPI ?

Thank you.

4 Wire serial

More
14 Oct 2013 11:51 #14622 by SadSack
early day but looks great!
Attachments:

More
14 Oct 2013 12:27 - 14 Oct 2013 12:40 #14625 by blackmoon
Crap I did a long post and deleted it by accident :angry:

Resuming :

I have pictures of 2801 internal and the screen is definitely parallel.

The 2603 has a serial, not sure, 7 wires : 4 red - 3black

I think the 2602 as the same, will be sure when I open it.

The 2602 has no external dip switch has the 24xx or older TX, but don't know if it has some internal.

I think the PPM stream is available constantly, I'll check that asap.

Thanks for all the complementary information.

Very nice "HubiationX" to be :cheer: (I know I suck at finding names, maybe is why I don't have children, poor souls... :p)

Btw what kind of sticks will you use in your conversion.

And you should open a thread for Deviation TX conversion, after all you are the one pioneering this.
Last edit: 14 Oct 2013 12:40 by blackmoon.

More
14 Oct 2013 14:03 #14630 by SadSack
Well I only needed to build module for my FG and confident that will be fine. Only thing I would 'like' that i can use Futaba's 12 channel PPM.

Hubsan TX is an accident to be honest, welcome one :-) Wouldn't even have done it if i hadn't broken my LCD i was going to use for RF module. OLED does look right in that space and for Fg module perfect.
I'm going to re used PCB in TX. Got a7105 + amp and have some old low power cypress module that i maybe able to use. And I'll get to use Midelic for RX so winner all round if you ask me.

The code I have no Idea with I just fluke getting oled running its NOT Arduino!! PB written so much that you only needed to join the dot's. PB did start to 8S upgrade longtime ago and TFT with touch screen are only $8/9 each.

Only things out standing or untested:
DFU loader : Now i found opensource one but as above No idea how to change it. Why i say this is because I can flash my devo 7e with no loader using STLink v2 steps >erase>flash @ 0x08000000>then flash again without erasing>@ 0x08003000> and that does work but you have do that every time there's a change to code. Which is fine for me but I never managed to do that using usb/serial ie ST's bootloader but if I download the whole flash. I can use that with usb/serial.
The power down circuit PB has posted that info here but I plan to use momentary switch. No idea how that will effect things.

More
15 Oct 2013 07:07 - 15 Oct 2013 07:10 #14653 by blackmoon
Crap didn't think about the loader.

But I was under the impression that :

- when you compile deviation code you should not use the python script that encodes the DFU

- then upload the newly created DFU to the MCU using usb/serial converter, ST Flash_Loader_Demonstrator and own ST bootloader present in the MCU.

Doesn't the board, you showed me, contains a usb/serial converter ?

Doesn't all ST ARM MCU contains a bootloader ?

So why the need for an open-source bootloader ?

Sorry for all these questions, I'm a little confused.
Last edit: 15 Oct 2013 07:10 by blackmoon.

More
15 Oct 2013 07:26 #14655 by SadSack
All STM32F10* have serial 'Bootloaders' but DFU loader is not standard. Walkera have done there own 'DFU Loader'. All(nearly) dev boards do have usb serial on board but I know you have your arduino hardware so what ever you'll be ok.

Just be nice to USB to update code as well as loading file system. My work around does work. I did wonder if code could be shifted to run from 0x08000000 but more going on than i understand :silly:

There are opensource DFU loader as i said just written in a way that makes me want to jam a pencil in my eyes LOL

More
15 Oct 2013 07:59 - 15 Oct 2013 08:01 #14658 by blackmoon
:lol: Please don't, ouch...

Ok now I understand, I'm mixing standard loader with DFU loader.

Thanks.
Last edit: 15 Oct 2013 08:01 by blackmoon.

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds