Realflight RF7 or RF7.5 with Devo & Deviation

More
21 Nov 2014 06:31 #26482 by miniheli
All,
I've been searching this forum and others like crazy trying to find an answer to this, but giving up and posting.

Can a Devo 10 with Deviation interface with Realflight and its Interlink USB interface? I'm talking about the TX interface edition, not the hollowed out transmitter edition. The documentation lists a "Wired Transmitter Interface" and says it can interface with Futaba or SLT transmitters. I'm trying to determine two things: 1> is it cable compatible and 2> is it protocol compatible.

Please note I am only interested in purchasing the product and don't want to hear anything about piracy / piracy cables.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2014 17:18 #26487 by aMax
Seem to be a simple PPM connection.
www.stv-dietikon.ch/priv/RF7-1.jpg

The official documentation really suck.
If this piece of ... software does not support HID interfaces directly,
you will have to use the ppm signal on the DSC port.

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02

More
21 Nov 2014 19:25 #26492 by kungpow
Replied by kungpow on topic Realflight RF7 or RF7.5 with Devo & Deviation
If you're referring to the wireless version I see no reason it wouldn't work as long as you have the nrf24l01 installed and select the slt protocol. If you mean the wired version select ppm for protocol on the devo and you should be good to go.

More
23 Nov 2014 00:03 #26528 by tmcg
I use Deviation on Devo 6s with RF7. But you can't use USB connecter on the Devo -- have to use the PPM port with the RF7 USB dongle cable. Create a model with type PPM 6 channel. It works, but RF7 likes to control the pitch and throttle off one TX channel -- haven't figured out how to control them separately yet. But the Deviation TX works fine.

More
27 Nov 2014 05:30 #26598 by miniheli
Replied by miniheli on topic Realflight RF7 or RF7.5 with Devo & Deviation

tmcg wrote: I use Deviation on Devo 6s with RF7. But you can't use USB connecter on the Devo -- have to use the PPM port with the RF7 USB dongle cable. Create a model with type PPM 6 channel. It works, but RF7 likes to control the pitch and throttle off one TX channel -- haven't figured out how to control them separately yet. But the Deviation TX works fine.

This is what I needed to know - thanks to everyone who responded.
The wireless version is cheaper and sounds very appealing, but I'm not sure enough in my soldering skills and it may take months to get a module successfully installed.
I'll order the usb cable version tonight and write up my experience when it arrives.
Thanks everyone!

More
16 Feb 2015 00:43 #28735 by jk6stringer
Replied by jk6stringer on topic Realflight RF7 or RF7.5 with Devo & Deviation
I know that this is an older thread. But I just finished making up an ini file for RealFlight. This lets you use the standard connection method, But may work just as well with the wireless one, I dont have that to test.

This gives full capabilities to all channels. Just mapp them however you like it.

I have 80 travel (30%) expo dialed in for Ele, Ail, Rud on the rudder DR switch.

Enjoy!
Attachments:

More
04 Jan 2018 03:29 - 12 Jan 2018 00:06 #66703 by Texacate
Replied by Texacate on topic Realflight RF7 or RF7.5 with Devo & Deviation
I just ordered Realflight 8 (software DVD only) + Realflight Wireless SLT Interface .
I'm hoping my Devo7E (with the 4in1 and the two 3-pos switch mods) will bind to the dongle when set to SLT protocol.
Realflight's SLT Wireless dongle isn't listed on the Supported Models page...

Has anyone had success with this?
Thanks

EDIT: My parts came in and I wanted to update everyone.

The combination of:
(RF8 software) + (Realflight Wireless SLT Interface) + (Deviation SLT protocol on a Devo Tx)
Does indeed seem to work! :cheer: RF8 immediately recognized my Devo7E as a Tactic TTX610 - 6 channel system.

However I noticed the following limitations:
  1. The Deviation SLT protocol is currently limited to 6 channels maximum. Therefore you can only assign 2 switches (or knobs) on your Devo TX to 2 of the 4 switches/knobs on the virtual transmitter inside RealFlight. But, since the Wireless SLT Interface was designed to work with all Tactic transmitters, which ranges from 4ch models up to 8ch models, the RF8 software will still allow you to operate any of the 4 virtual transmitter switches/knob using the PC keyboard.
  2. RF8 does not allow mapping of real transmitter channels to the Model-Reset or Menu/Select functions available on the wired Interlink controllers. You must use the PC keyboard to reset things after a crash. BTW, this limitation applies to genuine Tactic transmitters too.
    EDIT: In RF8, The Simulation->Select Controller-> Edit dialog box will allow you to map a transmitter channel to the Model-Reset function. I haven't found a way to map the Menu-Select or Cancel buttons on the Interlink Elite controller to transmitter channels.

In summary:
You still to have need your PC keyboard nearby if you're planning to use the RealFlight Wireless SLT Interface. But a Deviation transmitter can work with RealFlight v8 or v7.5 using the Wireless SLT Interface. I picked up a wireless keyboard too, so now I can run Realflight completely wirelessly with my preferred transmitter!
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Jan 2018 00:06 by Texacate.

More
12 Jan 2018 00:15 - 12 Jan 2018 03:30 #66872 by Texacate
Replied by Texacate on topic Realflight RF7 or RF7.5 with Devo & Deviation
Since the current Deviation version of the SLT protocol supports 6 channels maximum.... I have been playing with the source code to see if I can extend the number of channels.

Good news! I have the 8ch version (and even a 10ch version) of SLT working in RealFlght 8, using the Realflight Wireless SLT Interface. I have not submitted a pull request because I have no idea if my edits are safe for genuine Tactic 8ch receivers like the TR826 or the TR825. I don't own either receiver for testing. But my Devo7E tx seems to communicate with the Realflight Wireless SLT Interface rx just fine. I might order a TR826 receiver from Tower Hobbies, and do some more testing.

Cheers!
Last edit: 12 Jan 2018 03:30 by Texacate.

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds