DEVO 8S SOUNDS

More
06 Sep 2015 17:55 #37502 by DOONBY4797
DEVO 8S SOUNDS was created by DOONBY4797
Hey guys. I am wondering if there is anyway to change the standard beeping sounds the TX makes to any other sound? If so where do I go and What can I do?

Thakns

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2015 18:39 #37504 by Epyon
Replied by Epyon on topic DEVO 8S SOUNDS
You can edit the sound.INI in the media folder. This thread has some good info www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-disc...for-telemetry-alarms

More
06 Sep 2015 19:03 #37505 by DOONBY4797
Replied by DOONBY4797 on topic DEVO 8S SOUNDS
great thanks. I had read that forum previously. I guess I'm stuck with various beeping sounds in various configurations for now. Thanks again.

More
06 Sep 2015 19:40 #37508 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic DEVO 8S SOUNDS
There has been some interest in adding an "audio" module of some sort, as those are now cheap/small/powerful, but I don't know that anyone has actually done anything about it.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
06 Sep 2015 22:58 #37518 by DOONBY4797

mwm wrote: There has been some interest in adding an "audio" module of some sort, as those are now cheap/small/powerful, but I don't know that anyone has actually done anything about it.

What about using something like this www.emartee.com/product/41928/MP3%20SD%20Card%20Sound%20Module and "hacking" it into the existing sound board?

More
06 Sep 2015 23:58 #37519 by Epyon
I got a different version of that board www.ebay.com/itm/321403137501?_trksid=p2...e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
My plan was to trigger tracks from the Arduino I'm already running inside my 7e, triggered by the switches run through the Arduino. I also figured that I could read the 7e's buzzer output and have that trigger sounds. That would only allow 4 sounds to be triggered by the Devo itself (4 alarms limit).
Unfortunately my board was DOA. I'll get a replacement,..........eventually. The first one took over a month. Slow boat from China.

More
07 Sep 2015 00:13 #37520 by mwm
Something like that is what people are interested in. I don't know that there's an existing sound board - haven't looked. I think all you'd be able to reuse from the existing hardware is the speaker, though.

More
07 Sep 2015 00:56 #37521 by DOONBY4797

Epyon wrote: I got a different version of that board www.ebay.com/itm/321403137501?_trksid=p2...e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
My plan was to trigger tracks from the Arduino I'm already running inside my 7e, triggered by the switches run through the Arduino. I also figured that I could read the 7e's buzzer output and have that trigger sounds. That would only allow 4 sounds to be triggered by the Devo itself (4 alarms limit).
Unfortunately my board was DOA. I'll get a replacement,..........eventually. The first one took over a month. Slow boat from China.

The only Arduino I'm running right now is on my 250 quad. Its bluetooth and sends flight control info to my cell phone and allows me to make changes without connecting to my laptop. I have only looked inside my Devo8 one time ad that was to re-solder a bad connection. I would be happy with different alarm sounds (not beeps) if that's all I could get. I'm not familiar enough with the electronics of it to actually figure out how to wire a sound board in. I know the Turnigy 9xr has been hacked to fit a sound board. Yeah I try really hard to not buy from china.

More
07 Sep 2015 00:59 #37522 by DOONBY4797
I will crack it open tomorrow and see what I can figure out. Whatever is sending the sound to the speaker hopefully is easy enough for me to find. I'm not familiar with the electronics of these TX or any TX for that matter. Not sure what Taranis is using but seems to me it can be done

More
07 Sep 2015 05:25 #37525 by Epyon

DOONBY4797 wrote: I will crack it open tomorrow and see what I can figure out. Whatever is sending the sound to the speaker hopefully is easy enough for me to find. I'm not familiar with the electronics of these TX or any TX for that matter. Not sure what Taranis is using but seems to me it can be done

The Devo's sound system is pretty much like Arduino's "tone" function. A pulse-driven piezo speaker/buzzer. That pulse could be read and trigger a soundboard playback. Again, limited to only 4, maybe 5 counting the low battery alarm. The piezo "tones" would have to be set unique enough for the Arduino to differentiate.
Pure speculation here, but I think the Taranis or 9xwhatever mod connects a sound module to SPI or something. If that's the case, one could be added to our radios, but probably limit us to 1 added RF module.

More
07 Sep 2015 09:59 #37536 by mwm
Looks like those do SPI, so yeah, you ought to be able to use them as a deviation module, and enable them to play sounds. And yes, you can only have two modules in the radio. But your other module could be a multi-module, so you could still get all three extra RF modules.

Trouble is, you'll have to disable the RF module in order to have them play a sound. Not clear how well that will work. In particular, can you enable it, start a sound, then disable it as you don't want the RF module disabled for the entire time a sound is playing? If you can do that, then even if disabling a module causes it to drop the RF connection, the MM firmware could probably be tweaked so to at least keep the RF connection up.

Last question is - how do you get audio into the thing? The prospect of having to disassemble my Tx to add a sound file has always kept this as a low priority project for me.

More
07 Sep 2015 16:25 #37537 by DOONBY4797

mwm wrote: Looks like those do SPI, so yeah, you ought to be able to use them as a deviation module, and enable them to play sounds. And yes, you can only have two modules in the radio. But your other module could be a multi-module, so you could still get all three extra RF modules.

Trouble is, you'll have to disable the RF module in order to have them play a sound. Not clear how well that will work. In particular, can you enable it, start a sound, then disable it as you don't want the RF module disabled for the entire time a sound is playing? If you can do that, then even if disabling a module causes it to drop the RF connection, the MM firmware could probably be tweaked so to at least keep the RF connection up.

Last question is - how do you get audio into the thing? The prospect of having to disassemble my Tx to add a sound file has always kept this as a low priority project for me.

Would it be possible to take power directly from your switches (which ever you choose) and use that to trigger a sound on the sound board? Essentially wiring the board with power and then input from the different switches to trigger that sound? I'm sorry if I sound ignorant but I am not familiar enough with this to sort through the workings of the TX electronics. Would it be possible to wire the Sound board in place of the speaker and add a speaker to the sound board? Seems like a lot of possible programming would have to take place with the sound board. Like I said I'm just not familiar enough. Guess It's time to learn.

More
07 Sep 2015 20:11 #37544 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic DEVO 8S SOUNDS
I would love to someday see voice on deviation it would be so nice but i don't have the tech wizardry to do it..

More
08 Sep 2015 01:02 #37548 by mwm

DOONBY4797 wrote: Would it be possible to take power directly from your switches (which ever you choose) and use that to trigger a sound on the sound board? Essentially wiring the board with power and then input from the different switches to trigger that sound?

If the board has a "switch mode" (the ones linked to do, as well as an Adafruit Sound Fx board I bought for a non-RC project), then yeah, you should be able to do that. Personally, I'm more interested in replacing the alerts with voices, so I don't have to guess whether a beep was because the one of the batteries was getting low, poor signals strength, or something else.

I think I'm going to write something to play the stuff in sounds.ini on my desktop....

More
08 Sep 2015 14:58 #37571 by DOONBY4797

mwm wrote:

DOONBY4797 wrote: Would it be possible to take power directly from your switches (which ever you choose) and use that to trigger a sound on the sound board? Essentially wiring the board with power and then input from the different switches to trigger that sound?

If the board has a "switch mode" (the ones linked to do, as well as an Adafruit Sound Fx board I bought for a non-RC project), then yeah, you should be able to do that. Personally, I'm more interested in replacing the alerts with voices, so I don't have to guess whether a beep was because the one of the batteries was getting low, poor signals strength, or something else.

I think I'm going to write something to play the stuff in sounds.ini on my desktop....

That's what I am also interested in, Voice! It looks to me like the main circuit board in the TX is integrated ( like an integrated mother board for a pc). So the challenge would be locating what generates the different (beeps) for the given input or signal, I.E LOW BATTERY, LOST SIGNAL ECT... and tapping into that. Sending those given signals to the FX board and triggering the proper sound (voice) for the given input?

I had initially thought about the sounds.ini file but speculated that because it works on simple numbers (b1=100)and letters that using an mp3 or similar type file would not be feasible due to the type of code it uses. Again I am not familiar enough to write code to make this work and do not pretend to understand how it works. would be nice to have a Taranis to tear into and see what they are doing and have an extra Devo to experiment with.

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds