Trim as Virtual Switch help

More
06 Dec 2015 12:56 #40627 by frog
Trim as Virtual Switch help was created by frog
I try to use a trim as a virtual momentary switch on my devo 10.

Trim Setup: Input:
Virt1; Trim Step: Momentary; Trim+: TRIM_L+

Virtual Channel Setup:
Complex; Mixers: 1; Page: 1; Switch: None; Mux: replace; Src: Virt1; Curve: 1-to1; Scale: 0; Offset: 0; No Trim

If i put this directly on a channel:
Simple; Src: Virt1; Curve: 1-to-1; Scale: 100; Offset: 0
everything is OK, the channel monitor shows -100 and while pressing TRIM_L+ +100

but when I use it as a switch:
Complex; Mixers: 2;
Page 1: Switch: None; Mux: replace; Src: AUX5: Curve: 1-to-1; Scale: 100; Offest: 0; No Trim
Page 2: Switch: Virt1; Mux: replace; Src: None; Curve: Fixed; Scale -100 Offset: 0; No Trim
(the channel should show AUX5 Value or -100 when TRIM_L+ ist held)
nothing happens when pushing TRIM_L+

do I miss something ? Please help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Dec 2015 19:38 #40636 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Trim as Virtual Switch help
You need to enable trim on the first mixer on virt1.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
08 Mar 2016 14:54 #44260 by ColdBrew
Replied by ColdBrew on topic Trim as Virtual Switch help
hi, i'm having trouble to find an answer to my problem, so i asking here in this thread. i'm using devo 7e and i already set the virtual switch with UP and Down button, so now i want to use another virtual switch with left and right button but i can't find how to do that. i read in deviation manual about devo 7e/10 and i can see there is more option to add virtual switch. but in my 7e i only have two extra settings for virtual switches. so i try to download emulator for devo 10, and yes i can find that devo 10 have six virtual switches, the question is :

1. is that true devo 7e only have two virtual switches option (besides THR, ELE, RUD, AIL trims)?
2. can i add more virtual switches like devo 10? and how to do this?

i hope someone can answer my questions.
Thank You! :)
Attachments:

More
13 Mar 2016 16:47 #44509 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Trim as Virtual Switch help
Well first question is why do you feel you need trim? Are you flying a plane that doesnt have a flight controller? If it's a multi or plane with a FC there's NO reason to even have trim at all as you shouldn't be applying it anyway. MAYBE RUD trim if you're not good at tuning yet but there's zero reason for trim on the AIL channel...

I've never heard that the 7E can only have 2 virtual channels but IDK. I'll try to remember to pull mine out later today and check. What version of deviation is your 7E running?

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
13 Mar 2016 17:13 #44510 by mwm
The 7E can only have 6 trims and each trim is at most one virtual switch, so only two virtual switches on the 7E if you want to keep the standard trims. Yes, that's limited compared to the 6/8/10/12, but that's the 7E. I'm not sure I agree with CK about not needing any trims with an FC (depends on the FC and your flying style - some people hate stabilization, etc), the throttle trim can usually be given up with little or no problem.

To add more virtual switches, you need a custom build of deviation. Right now, that's a problem because the toolchain we use for building deviation is obsolete, and on longer available from the official sources. While newer versions are available, they resulting images are to big to fit on the 7E.

Which means you're in a double bind for space, because you've got to find space not only to add the trim switches you want, but also to get a build that fits on the 7E with the available toolchains. While we're working on the latter, the results are liable to not be pretty.

More
13 Mar 2016 17:50 #44512 by ColdBrew

Cereal_Killer wrote: Well first question is why do you feel you need trim? Are you flying a plane that doesnt have a flight controller? If it's a multi or plane with a FC there's NO reason to even have trim at all as you shouldn't be applying it anyway. MAYBE RUD trim if you're not good at tuning yet but there's zero reason for trim on the AIL channel...

I've never heard that the 7E can only have 2 virtual channels but IDK. I'll try to remember to pull mine out later today and check. What version of deviation is your 7E running?

Hi CK, i still need trim button because i mostly fly micro quads, and they use brushed motors, they very easy to get damage when crashed and not spinning well like new. so i need to trim the quad to get more stable. if you mean FC is like naze32 or quanum pico, my answer is no, i don't have that, so i can't tune it with cleanflight or something like that.

the reason why i need more virtual button is i wan't to use it for flip and return to home. i already use FMOD switch for flip, but sometimes i forgot to put FMOD back to 0 because it's not a momentary switch, so i accidentaly flip my quad and crash.

well if you find a way to add more virtual switches, i will appreciate it, or maybe i miss something in devo 7e manual, please point me to that section. maybe i didn't read that. and thank you for your reply.

sorry my bad english,
regards.

More
13 Mar 2016 18:12 #44513 by ColdBrew

mwm wrote: The 7E can only have 6 trims and each trim is at most one virtual switch, so only two virtual switches on the 7E if you want to keep the standard trims. Yes, that's limited compared to the 6/8/10/12, but that's the 7E. I'm not sure I agree with CK about not needing any trims with an FC (depends on the FC and your flying style - some people hate stabilization, etc), the throttle trim can usually be given up with little or no problem.

To add more virtual switches, you need a custom build of deviation. Right now, that's a problem because the toolchain we use for building deviation is obsolete, and on longer available from the official sources. While newer versions are available, they resulting images are to big to fit on the 7E.

Which means you're in a double bind for space, because you've got to find space not only to add the trim switches you want, but also to get a build that fits on the 7E with the available toolchains. While we're working on the latter, the results are liable to not be pretty.

Hi mwm, i just read your comment after replying CK, well if you say that i need a custom build of deviation to add more virtual button, i think the answer to my question for now is "no" (i can't add more virtual button manually in devo 7e) so i just have to wait until someday 7e can have this option like devo 10. well at least i know the answer for my question. and of course thank you very much to explain this thing to me. cheers :lol:

regards.

More
13 Mar 2016 20:02 #44519 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic Trim as Virtual Switch help

mwm wrote: The 7E can only have 6 trims and each trim is at most one virtual switch, so only two virtual switches on the 7E if you want to keep the standard trims. Yes, that's limited compared to the 6/8/10/12, but that's the 7E. I'm not sure I agree with CK about not needing any trims with an FC (depends on the FC and your flying style - some people hate stabilization, etc), the throttle trim can usually be given up with little or no problem.

1 What is the goal with trims on a FC with Gyro and Accelerometer chip? If the board is misaligned you will use the setup and even for a bad CG the ACC trim or the motormix setup. I do not find any use for trim switches with CF & BF.
For the mid of a EAR channels you must use subtrim to be on in the mid of the channel range.

2. Please explain why a certain version of the gcc-arm-none-eabi cannot be used anymore.
Not possible to stay on an older version?
I am using a different Posix setup (Cygwin) for the FC software and all versions of 4.9 are still available.

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02

More
14 Mar 2016 18:51 #44571 by mwm
The compiler issue is complicated - and gets more complicated the longer I look. The official launchpad.net Linux repositories no longer have versions that will build a 7E dfu file that fits on a 7E. The oldest one only overflows by 8 bytes, but that's still an issue. If you go to the download areas, you can find all the older versions - but they are so old they won't run on a modern linux kernel. The system repository for LTS versions of Ubuntu has a version of the compiler that's so old it's missing features our current build depends on, though that's apparently fixable with some minor tweaks. It's not surprising that things are a bit better off for a Windows build system, given that MS has generally paid more attention to backwards compatibility than Linux (though not Unix in general). One of the hallmarks of the deviation project is not depending on proprietary commercial tools like Windows, so that it's possible for anyone to contribute without having to spend money just to do so.

In any case, the recommended tool-chain is over 2 years old, and the last one that creates a working 7E image was released over a year ago. We really do need to do something about this issue. Possibly moving to newer versions of some of the libraries involved will help with those issues.

More
26 Apr 2019 15:11 - 30 Apr 2019 13:59 #74144 by saidem
Replied by saidem on topic Trim as Virtual Switch help
Hello,
I would like to see how "Using a trim as virtual switch" works. I think I did the programming correctly, and I would like to know how to do it to see if it works well. I looked in Channel monitor\Mixer output and when I press the L- button that I programmed it doesn't change the 100/-100 state What do you think?
Last edit: 30 Apr 2019 13:59 by saidem. Reason: Additional clarifications

More
05 May 2019 15:33 #74237 by saidem
Hello,
It has been a few days since I posted this conversation, but I still don't have an answer.
Does anyone know how it works?

More
05 May 2019 18:18 #74239 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Trim as Virtual Switch help
The channel monitor will show any change in the channel value, so the trim is not changing the channel value.

Look at the Tricks with Trim buttons section at the bottom of this page .

More
06 May 2019 04:25 #74246 by ajtank
Replied by ajtank on topic Trim as Virtual Switch help
Do not miss this thread

There are a lot of useful threads if you try hard to dig deeper.

More
09 May 2019 16:16 #74262 by saidem
Hello,
Thank you for the documentation link made by deal57. I also have hexfet that sent me a link to a document that looks like this one. I'm going to look at both of them, but right now I don't have enough time. I'll come back to you later if I don't find it. Thank you very much.

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds