Cannot Install USB Driver on Windows XP

More
07 Oct 2017 04:34 #64885 by Lounge Pilot
Cannot Install USB Driver on Windows XP was created by Lounge Pilot
Hi, I'm new to the forum and to both a Devo 10 and Deviation.

Please don't laugh, but the only computer that I have available right now is a PC running Windows XP and, when I click the Install button on the DFU USBDrv Installer-1.1, it says: "Windows XP is no longer supported. Use version 1.0 instead"

However, when I extract the file: DFU USBDrv Installer-1.0.zip and try to open DFU USBDrv Installer-1.0.exe, it says:-

C:\Temp\DFU USBDrv Installer-1.0\DFU USBDrv Installer-1.0.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

Please: am I missing something or is there no way to use a Windows XP PC to install Deviation on my Devo 10 Tx?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2017 09:11 - 07 Oct 2017 21:07 #64892 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic Cannot Install USB Driver on Windows XP
Which program do you use?
Version 1.1 is not needed for Install.in DFU mode (but version 6.1.7600)
This winusb version 1.1 is only used by the STLInk dongle.

Edit:
WinXP is beside Win7 the most compatible windows version for all devices. I have never had an issue with any flash device, radio, flight controller,esc update, etc.
Did you download the Walkera Dfuse USB Upgrade Tool which is needed?

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Oct 2017 21:07 by aMax. Reason: edit

More
07 Oct 2017 13:44 #64893 by Lounge Pilot
Replied by Lounge Pilot on topic Cannot Install USB Driver on Windows XP
Hi aMax, thanks for your reply.

I've been using the installation instructions and the Installation Roadmap but I can't say that I'm finding them easy to follow. In my opinion, it would be clearer if the two methods for installing the DFU were described with separate, step-by-step instructions. I was finding it so complex that I started to create my own as I envisage possibly having to do this again on a second TX sometime.

Because I'm unfamiliar with using Java, I chose the method that uses the Walkera DfuSe USB Upgrade tool and these are the steps I have taken so far:-
  1. Download the file: deviation-devo10-v5.0.0.zip from here .
  2. Download the file: Dfuse USB Upgrade Tools 2.31.zip from here
  3. Download the file: DFU USBDrv Installer-1.1.zip from here .
  4. Extract the file: DFU USBDrv Installer-1.1.zip
  5. Open the folder: DFU USBDrv Installer-1.1 and run: DFU USBDrv Installer-1.1.exe
  6. Select: “Install Walkera USB driver (for DfuSe USB Upgrade)” and click install.
That's when I got the error message "Windows XP is no longer supported. Use version 1.0 instead", and I've not managed to get any further than this.

I have no idea what the STLInk dongle is so any advice on how to proceed would be much appreciated.

More
07 Oct 2017 14:32 - 07 Oct 2017 15:22 #64895 by aMax
No java needed.

I was still using the walkera tool version 2.0 and installed 2.31 right now, no problem.

But,....... leave the driver installer alone, use only what you find in the Walkera folder.
And do not use Zadig, this has no use for you. I only had to use it once with a F3AIO Omnibus flight controller.

Run "dpinst_x86" or ia64, what ever your system is, 32/64 bit. These are the drivers I installed.

Edit: If you have to use Zadig one day, download "Zadig2.2_xp, the last version for XP and newer than what you find
in the USBdrv installer zip file. This version can be found at Zadig under the entry "other versions"

Last edit: 07 Oct 2017 15:22 by aMax. Reason: edit

More
07 Oct 2017 15:14 - 07 Oct 2017 15:19 #64896 by Lounge Pilot
I tried Open and Run as... with dpinst_x86.exe and nothing appeared to happen; does the driver install without any notification?
How would I check to see if it has installed?
Last edit: 07 Oct 2017 15:19 by Lounge Pilot.

More
07 Oct 2017 15:26 - 07 Oct 2017 15:58 #64897 by aMax
Use USBdeview. or plug in your devo and start the walkera tool. ( start the Devo with holding the "EXT" button at power on).
Have look on my postet screen shot.> STM Device in DFU mode.

Edit.
BTW, how to do it the official way is writen in the User Manual v2.3.pdf which is in the "devention Upgrade Tools" folder...;)

Last edit: 07 Oct 2017 15:58 by aMax.

More
07 Oct 2017 17:04 - 07 Oct 2017 17:43 #64899 by Lounge Pilot
In USBDeview, I couldn't see any STM Device drivers listed.
So, I connected my Devo 10 and opened Walkera Dfuse USB Upgrade Tools 2.31.exe and completed the installation.
In USBDeview, I then found: STM Device in DFU Mode: driver version 3.0.1.0
(It appears that the USB driver installs with the DfuSe USB Upgrade Tools - did I miss that somewhere?)
I then switched on the Devo 10 and the screen shows "Program Update...... with a 50% complete status bar.
I opened the devention DfuSe USB Upgrade Tool and opened deviation-devo10-v5.0.0.dfu in the Firmware tab.
Everything looked good to go so I clicked the Upgrade button and got the following Warning...

Your device was plugged in DFU mode.
So it is impossible to make sure this file is correct for this device.
Continue however ?

This is scary, lol; is it OK to continue? :unsure:

Edit:
Thanks for your tip about the User Manual v2.3.pdf; I wish I'd known about that before posting. :)

Maybe I should also disclose that, before finding the Installation Roadmap, I had already installed a 4 in 1 RF module but I haven't updated the hardware.ini file yet; will this be a problem? (I had only used the stock TX with my Phoenix R/C flight sim before installing the module.)
Last edit: 07 Oct 2017 17:43 by Lounge Pilot. Reason: Added info

More
07 Oct 2017 21:20 #64907 by aMax
Congrats.
Edit the hardware.ini, otherwise you will not have the chance to inspect the additional features on some protocols.

More
11 Oct 2017 14:40 - 11 Oct 2017 15:00 #64960 by Lounge Pilot
Thanks aMax; your assistance is much appreciated.
The upgrade went smoothly and the 4-in-1 module seems to be working OK as, so far, after downloading a couple of model configs, I've managed to bind it with my XK K110 and a Cheerson CX-10, and I'm now looking forward to learning how to tweak all the settings.

It turns out that installing Deviation on a Devo 10 using a Windows PC is far simpler than the user manual suggests because the DFU USB driver is installed by v2.31 of the Dfuse USB Upgrade Tools.
For a first-time installation of Deviation on a Devo 10 using Windows XP, here's what worked for me.

1. Download the file: deviation-devo10-v5.0.0.zip from here
  2. Download the file: Dfuse USB Upgrade Tools 2.31.zip from here
  3. Extract the file: deviation-devo10-v5.0.0.zip
  4. Extract the file: Dfuse USB Upgrade Tools 2.31.zip
  5. Open the file: Walkera Dfuse USB Upgrade Tools 2.31.exe, complete the Setup Wizard and "Launch devention Upgrade Tools".
  6. Connect the PC to the USB port of the Devo 10 and turn on while pressing the ‘EXT’ button to enter programming mode.
    (After a short pause, the devention Dfuse USB Upgrade Tool should recognise that the Devo 10 is connected.)
  7. In the "File" field of the "Firmware" tab in the Dfuse USB Upgrade Tool, open the file: deviation-devo10-v5.0.0.dfu
    (A "File correctly loaded" message should appear.)
  8. Click "Upgrade" and ignore the Warning: just say "Yes".
  9. When complete, turn off the Devo 10 and and turn back on while holding ‘ENT’: there should be a USB logo on the screen.
  10. On the PC, follow the prompt to format a drive using the default options.
  11. Upgrade the file system as described in section 2.3 of the User Manual
I hope the above proves useful to anyone else in a similar situation.
Last edit: 11 Oct 2017 15:00 by Lounge Pilot.

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds