CYRF6936 Question: Writing custom GUID for dsmx?

More
21 Feb 2018 16:26 #67666 by csc8194
I have been doing lots of reading on this forum in the last week and I have a quick question for those who have experience with deviation and the DSMx protocol. I also hope that I am asking this question in the right category and if I am not, feel free to redirect me!

So, correct me where my assumptions are false, but from what I know, the cyrf6936 is what provides the GUID for the DSMx protocol. This is not only the seed for the FHSS hopping sequence, but also is used as a packet header and other things. I believe that the GUID is derived from MFG ID of the cyrf6936 (could be wrong here). From what I can see on the datasheet, the cyrf6939 does not allow a register write to the address where MFG ID is stored.

I have a Dx8 and matching receiver and I know the GUID that is being used by monitering the FHSS with a software defined radio. What I need to do is put this same GUID into another Tx (Possibly Walkera with deviation?). I effectively want to clone my transmitter and have a new transmitter with the same GUID. Is this something that can be done? Would I need to somehow tap into the SPI of the CYRF6936 with a Raspberry Pi? Or is this as simple as changing the Tx ID within deviation?

Thank you in advance for the help!! I am happy to clarify anything if I need to and I would be more than happy also to explain why I have such a crazy request. I also very much appreciate all the work that has been done in reverse engineering the DSMx protocol as this forum and others are the only reason I have made it this far in my project.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2018 06:53 #67678 by hexfet
Look at the appearances of USE_FIXED_MFGID in deviation's dsm2_cyrf6936.c. That should answer your questions but ask again if not.

More
03 Mar 2018 18:11 #67882 by csc8194
hexfet, I think you might be right. Looking at the code, if I can modify 4 of the 6, 8-bit values in the cyrfmfg_id[6], then I may be able to change the GUID being used for DSMX. I just purchased/received a DEVO 10 Tx and installed Deviation 5.0.0 . This may be a stupid question, but I cannot figure out how to modify the value of USE_FIXED_MFGID in the dsm2_cyrf6936.c file because I do not know where this file comes into play in the actual installation process. In other words, where is this file in the actual deviation 5.0.0 folder and how do I change the value? Thank you!

More
05 Mar 2018 04:24 #67902 by hexfet
That file is part of the deviation source code, which you can pull from github . Once you've make the modifications then build deviation for your transmitter and install it. The how-to for building deviation software is here .

More
06 Mar 2018 19:34 #67932 by csc8194
I have pulled the deviation repository from GitHub and I am now building the devo 10 zip file. I am having an error when I install this zip file to my Tx. It is almost as if every "section" of the GUI is there because I can still navigate through the screens, but the text is not visible. Some of the fields are not blank, but instead have random characters. This is with me building the unchanged code (I want to make sure I can build properly before I try and change any code). Is this something that you have come across before?

More
06 Mar 2018 23:31 #67939 by hexfet
Did you update the filesystem files after installing the dfu? Backup any models you want to save first.

I just build the current master branch and everything is working on my devo10. The zip file and size are deviation-devo10-v5.0.0-860f620.zip 653390.

Time to create page: 0.033 seconds