Is deviationtx DEAD?

More
18 Aug 2020 11:17 #76698 by eried
Is deviationtx DEAD? was created by eried
I have seen several messages saying something on those lines, I personally don't think is dead, but rather slow.

Does any of the admins have some info?

PS: I have been experimenting with adding bounties to issues and that has been a nice alternative to keep projects alive -> www.bountysource.com/teams/portapack-mayhem so maybe an alternative to revitalize the project is to start asking factories using deviationtx to contribute a small % for founding bounties.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2020 17:33 #76706 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Is deviationtx DEAD?
Deviation is still my daily driver, I prefer it above open TX.
Technically it works well, is stable, never drops a beat, provides the better link in terms of jitter latency. Also full link, SPI RF control just one firmware control the radio and the rf modules, simple approach.

But open Tx has some features which are better implemented, such as telemetry en lua scripts. Also there are more choices of better quality radios for openTx, in combination with the multimodule project, it seems DeviationTx lost quite some attention.

Indeed would be great to see new innovations in DeviationTx, still it works well as is. Hopefully we get some smart guys porting ExLRS to Deviation, would be nice to get the fastest lowest jitter lora link. and possibly Deviation could be ported to ESP32, to get a cheap universal board ?

Anyway myself can't program well rather help in testing.

More
27 Aug 2020 02:38 #76721 by Gerry
Replied by Gerry on topic Is deviationtx DEAD?
I think things went downhill after Jumper hijacked deviation and these forums became inundated with requests for jumper support.
My 12E is still my go to TX but have not updated the FW for a couple of years now.

Devo 7e A7105 NRF24L01 CC2500 2x3 way & voice, Devo 12e 4 in 1 & voice.
FFS (Forever Fixing Stuff)

More
27 Aug 2020 11:43 #76722 by propnut
Replied by propnut on topic Is deviationtx DEAD?
The Devs should have seen that as a positive. Seeing as Walker no longer makes TX's surely having another brand to keep the project going strong would be a good thing ? Such a pity they couldn't have continued. It could have grown as strong as OpenTX. They buddied up with FrSky to produce the hugely capable code it is today. These guys could have buddied up with Jumper or RadioMaster to create colour touch screens, strong telemetry, LUA scripts etc.

More
27 Aug 2020 22:24 #76724 by Mack775
Replied by Mack775 on topic Is deviationtx DEAD?
I have a Taranis x9d plus would not trade my 12e for 2 like it. I guess you would call me a devo fanboy. Have most of them and no complaints at all. Spent several hours reading this forum and the all work the way I like, most have 4 in 1 module but I still use devention for the qr x350 pro quad. And with ppm and usb handles most simulators. And I also wish the people would come back. Have fun Mack

More
16 Sep 2020 21:24 - 17 Sep 2020 14:04 #76793 by Ssayer
Replied by Ssayer on topic Is deviationtx DEAD?
The only thing in deviation that's missing for me (maybe it's there and I just haven't figured it out?) is that I really like that I can get a minute voice on the timer in OpenTX (1 minute, 2 minutes, etc.). I know that is a pretty minor thing, but... I got used to it. :P

AND just like that I found that it was me not figuring it out yet... :P
Now, I just need to look up the sound files to change them to what I prefer. (learning, learning)
Last edit: 17 Sep 2020 14:04 by Ssayer. Reason: My bad

More
18 Sep 2020 10:23 #76795 by propnut
You say that until you realise that the gap between supported protocols in DevTX vs OpenTX is vast and growing each day. The whole multi-protocol thing was born in this project but now sadly all new support is over on the other side. I still love my Devo 10 and my Jumper T8SG but as I am buying new quads and updated systems my hand increasingly reaches for my RadioMaster TX16S

More
30 Sep 2020 18:33 #76842 by Bisky
Replied by Bisky on topic Is deviationtx DEAD?
Hello, so ther is nobody on this forum who could program the new protocols from multimodule to devo?

I suce can´t, but it´s sad to se my 2 devo transmitters not beeing used any more for what they were intended....

Regards, Bisky

Ultimate 7E + range mod + 3x2 switch mod + 3in1 module
Devo F7 XMS + 4in1 module

More
01 Oct 2020 11:32 #76846 by propnut
I saw Phracturedblue login about a month ago who is as far as I know Pascal, the guy who invented the whole multi-protocol thing and who still runs that project but I haven't seen any protocol additions. Vlad, who is the global moderator, is about the only active person still on the group and I think he started originally as just a user like you and I.

It would be nice if some new developers could jump on and continue the project. Sadly I am no programmer :(

More
01 Oct 2020 18:16 #76847 by gdenton
Replied by gdenton on topic Is deviationtx DEAD?

propnut wrote: I saw Phracturedblue login about a month ago who is as far as I know Pascal, the guy who invented the whole multi-protocol thing and who still runs that project but I haven't seen any protocol additions. Vlad, who is the global moderator, is about the only active person still on the group and I think he started originally as just a user like you and I.

It would be nice if some new developers could jump on and continue the project. Sadly I am no programmer :(

I assumed the multi-protocol developer (Pascal) is username 'planger' on this forum ('hpnuts' on rcgroups).

More
01 Oct 2020 21:15 - 02 Oct 2020 14:57 #76848 by propnut
Could be but when you read the credit page on the MP module page it gives credit to Phracturedblue whom I believe all started DeviationTX but I could well be wrong.

EDIT: Actually you are right. Now that I re-read the credits they list Pascal and Phracturedblue seperately

Pascal Langer (rcgroups: hpnuts)
Ben Lye (rcgroups: benzo99)
Midelic (rcgroups: midelic)
Mike Blandford (rcgroups: Mike Blandford)
schwabe - from OpenTX
PhracturedBlue – from Deviation TX project
goebish – from Deviation TX project
victzh – from Deviation TX project
hexfet – from Deviation TX project

Either way there still seems to be no further development which is the crux of this thread
Last edit: 02 Oct 2020 14:57 by propnut.

More
28 Oct 2020 22:45 #76951 by Birdman
Replied by Birdman on topic Is deviationtx DEAD?
Is deviation dead? I believe so. No protocols are being added. Real shame, At this time I like it better than opentx, the touch screen user interface is the best.

I asked some time back, both openly and to several people via message for a protocol to be added, "NO" one was interested. The protocol at that time was already available and being used on the multi protocol module.

Would like to see it on my TX16S.

More
29 Oct 2020 05:39 #76953 by alphasierra
Replied by alphasierra on topic Is deviationtx DEAD?
THAT DOES SUCK IF NO ONE IS ABLE TO KEEP THIS UP AND RUNNING. IF MY EXPERTISE WAS IN HARDWARE DEV I WOULD SO CARRY THIS TORCH. My t8sg is my go to remote and it has never let me down. on the contrast the qx7 i got just for my r9m setup feels like a ripoff in my hands. and its broken already. for no reason. there seems like there is alot of potential with the jumpers, so whats the deal?

More
29 Oct 2020 06:09 - 29 Oct 2020 06:13 #76954 by Birdman

alphasierra wrote: IF MY EXPERTISE WAS IN HARDWARE DEV I WOULD SO CARRY THIS TORCH.

You and me both.

Have 9xD and TX16S and my Devo8S is still my go to. with 95% of my models on it. That would be around 50 to 55 planes helis gliders and quads.
Last edit: 29 Oct 2020 06:13 by Birdman.

More
29 Oct 2020 11:06 #76957 by eried
Replied by eried on topic Is deviationtx DEAD?
I do not need more protocols and I already fixed all stuff that annoyed me. So for the moment deviation is perfect to me.

But: if you need new stuff/prototols, you should invest some time on the project to keep it alive. It does not help to say "if I was a programmer" or similar, that just means "I don't wanna waste MY time"

More
29 Oct 2020 23:25 #76960 by Birdman

eried wrote: I do not need more protocols and I already fixed all stuff that annoyed me. So for the moment deviation is perfect to me.

But: if you need new stuff/prototols, you should invest some time on the project to keep it alive. It does not help to say "if I was a programmer" or similar, that just means "I don't wanna waste MY time"

Really. LOLOLOL

More
30 Oct 2020 12:41 #76961 by propnut
What a load of nonsense !!, how can anyone who isn't a programmer competently provide any coding input. Just randomly guessing how the constructs of C++ or any other language works would simply result in unstable, unreliable and very dangerous code. Additionally who would be sanitising any such input as the original developers and project owners seem to have run for the hills. What it needs is to be forked by a new opensource community with all the appropriate devops checks and balances.

More
30 Oct 2020 12:58 #76962 by eried
Replied by eried on topic Is deviationtx DEAD?
how do you get that new community? Do you have a proposal?

What I am saying can start today. Anyone that feels somehow capable in basic problem solving can compile the code tonight and play with it. That will actually generate a new community after a pair of those do that for a couple of weeks.

More
30 Oct 2020 13:04 #76963 by propnut
How did this community start....someone had a good idea. Posted the project to Github, went to sites like rcgroups, openrcforums etc and made communities aware. People got interested and more jumped on the bandwagon. BUT you need to still have that basic programming knowledge. I have been in IT for over 30 years but I am a network engineer. I can write basic shell and perl scripts but I am by no means a competent programmer. Yes I can parse basic coding and find potential issues but actually writing.....no way Jose.

More
03 Nov 2020 10:24 #76968 by mj666
Replied by mj666 on topic Is deviationtx DEAD?
For me my multiple Devo10 Transmitters are still the daily drivers and I use them since many years. One is now weard out and I need to retire it or use it as workbench test gear only. In general this are very solid built transmitters and upgraded with the 4in1 TX module very capable. I mostly use DSMX and FrSky receivers. But actually also have a Jumper T16 and T18 to start with. To be able contribute to deviation you need the skills, the interest and the hardware to test the new protocol. Many of the toy protocols have not too much distribution and there are likely not so much real deviation users for them. So the interest is kind of limited. We also need to be aware the actual firmware in some cases is getting very tight for the given hardware (i.e. memory) and adding a lot of protocols will only work with rework of the existing code (like the modularization for the Devo7). You can still buy Devo transmitters but likely this is not the first choice if someone who is looking for a new one if you are not a deviation fanboy. If there is a valid contribution the actual deviation team is very responsive to get this merged in.

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds