Feature Requests

More
08 Oct 2012 19:47 - 08 Oct 2012 20:53 #2051 by rototophe
Feature Requests was created by rototophe
Been using Deviation for a little while now and as I was using it several things came to mind as far as possibly making the firmware better. So here is a list of what I thought of, some were probably already brought up ….

1 – Possibly make the screen dimmable with user timer, make screen turn off with user timer.

2 – Beep selection and volume: Possibly have several tones to choose from but more important have a user selectable volume scale. The beep volume as it is now is too low, at least for my own taste.

3 – Possibly assign beep to trims with a higher/different beep for center.

4 – Recycling trim buttons for FBL helis: Since the trims are not used on flybarless helicopters, would it be possible to recycle them as buttons selectable for actions?
It would be great to have several behaviors to choose from for those buttons. They could be used for example as toggle for an action, like one pressure right or left would toggle ON and OFF. It would be great for example to be able to use the rudder trim (in mode 2) as a throttle cut off. I quite often find myself missing or not hitting the GEAR switch fast enough to cut of throttle and my heli is on the ground flopping around grinding the wheel with an overheating motor. The proximity of the rudder trim could greatly improve the situation especially with small helis flying in tight spaces and close to the ground by reducing the time needed to cut off the throttle when things are starting to go south. This could be one use of the recycled trim buttons, I am sure we could find many other uses for them if they could have custom behaviors.

5 - Icons for switches / Icons location: Possibly make the icon assignment to a switch a user selection choice (atm the icon assignment is static) as well as possibly allowing the user to choose where the icon will displayed in the GUI.

Regarding the Forums

1 – Maybe create a “Feature Request” sub-forum in the “Feedback and Questions” section. This may help to keep things organized and focused.

2 – Maybe create a “Need Help?” sub-forum somewhere. Some folks post requests for help all over the forums, like for instance in the model config section or whatnot, somehow “polluting” those sections. Might just help to keep things organized and focused.
Last edit: 08 Oct 2012 20:53 by rototophe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2012 09:56 #2097 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Feature Requests

rototophe wrote: 2 – Beep selection and volume: Possibly have several tones to choose from but more important have a user selectable volume scale. The beep volume as it is now is too low, at least for my own taste.

Beeps (tunes) are configurable in the "media\sound.ini" file.
However they are already at 100% volume, which seems more quiet than the original to me too...

rototophe wrote: 4 – Recycling trim buttons for FBL helis: Since the trims are not used on flybarless helicopters, would it be possible to recycle them as buttons selectable for actions?
It would be great to have several behaviors to choose from for those buttons. They could be used for example as toggle for an action, like one pressure right or left would toggle ON and OFF. It would be great for example to be able to use the rudder trim (in mode 2) as a throttle cut off. I quite often find myself missing or not hitting the GEAR switch fast enough to cut of throttle and my heli is on the ground flopping around grinding the wheel with an overheating motor. The proximity of the rudder trim could greatly improve the situation especially with small helis flying in tight spaces and close to the ground by reducing the time needed to cut off the throttle when things are starting to go south. This could be one use of the recycled trim buttons, I am sure we could find many other uses for them if they could have custom behaviors.

At the moment they can be reused as "analogue" channels, but not as push buttons or toggle buttons.
Change the "input" of them to a virtual (or real) channel other than the current stick, and you have a new adjustable channel value...

rototophe wrote: 5 - Icons for switches / Icons location: Possibly make the icon assignment to a switch a user selection choice (atm the icon assignment is static) as well as possibly allowing the user to choose where the icon will displayed in the GUI.

The toggle icons are user selectable on the second page of the "Main Page Config".
It offers icons from the "media\toggle.bmp" file, which can be replaced, and it can have more icons horizontally...

More
09 Oct 2012 19:09 - 09 Oct 2012 19:47 #2129 by rototophe
Replied by rototophe on topic Feature Requests
Thanks, you have enlightened me regarding the toggle icons assignment! I just discovered the "Main Config Page" has indeed 2 pages :blush: I suppose reading the manual would have helped :P

I will try playing with the Beeps using the sound.ini file, thanks for that as well. Glad to see I am not the only one to find the volume quieter than the original, I was beginning to think that maybe age as started to caught up with me ..

As far as using the trim buttons as analogue channels could you walk me through the process a little bit? As an example, do you see a way to configure a trim button (via a complex mixer or else) to act as a throttle hold button? If not could you describe the process of setting up a channel controlled by a trim button?

Additionally do you think it would be possible in the future to be able assign different kinds of pre-programmed behaviors like push, toggle, cycle through 2/3/4/5 positions virtual switch, and such to the trim buttons?

Thanks for your patience
Last edit: 09 Oct 2012 19:47 by rototophe.

More
09 Oct 2012 19:33 #2130 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Feature Requests

rototophe wrote: Additionally do you think it would be possible in the future to be able assign different kinds of pre-programmed behaviors like push, toggle, cycle through 2/3/4/5 positions virtual switch, and such to the trim buttons?

Can you give specific examples of how you want the trims to behave? you can (with some ingenuity) acheive 2/3/4/5/... position toggle with the trims, though you wouldn't be able to wrap around from position 5 to 1.
It is completely non-intuitive how you'd do that though.
Basically you need to setup a trim with the Input set to a virtual channel, and the range set to 200 / number of steps (or as big as it goes)
you can then create a complex mixer with the input being the virtual mixer, and defining the curve to be a pulse around each trim-point.

It may make more sense to either (a) define a template for something like this, or (b) enhance the trim capabilities, but I need to understand your usage model to figure out the proper solution.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
10 Oct 2012 11:34 #2144 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Feature Requests
I also thought about using the trims as a control for lights. Output of
- -100% to -60%: all off
- -59% to -10%: white flash
- -9% to 9%: white flash and red/green stable
- 10% to 50%: like above plus red beacon
- 51% to 100%: like above plus landing lights
The devo8 does not have a free analogue control for this so aone of the trims could be useful.

More
10 Oct 2012 12:54 #2145 by Eriskio
Replied by Eriskio on topic Feature Requests
Another userful feature (present on some radios) is to have switches (Mix, Gear on the DEVO8) with an user defined transition time (from 0 to few seconds): it can be used to activate/deactivate slowmotion controls (expecially used on plane) like servo driven gear and flaps.

Time to create page: 0.036 seconds