Failsafe

More
13 Oct 2012 20:54 #2203 by magic_marty
Failsafe was created by magic_marty
i know this is probably a newbie question but could somebody please explain how the Failsafe works and how i could use it effectivly? I am going to be building a tri-copter very soon and would like to use the failsafe option so if something happens i wont see it fly away into the wild blue yonder..lol

im just waiting on my parts to arrive from hobbyking but will be building the frame later today using wood...i have read about people having there quads/tricopters fly away and the only thing they could do is watch hopelessly and try to see where it might land at and searching for days to find it and sometimes never being able to find it...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2012 01:02 #2204 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Failsafe
Failsafe is only supported on the Devo protocol.
when the Rx loses signal, it will revert to the specified failsafe value (so it is set per-channel). you can test it by binding, then turning off the tx. the rx should then revert to the failsafe values.

Note that the 1.1.2 release has a bug that the failsafe values are not saved by the Tx. This is now fixed in the code so you'll want to wait until the next release, or build from src.

More
14 Oct 2012 02:54 #2205 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic Failsafe
oh...so the orange dsm rx i ordered could cause my tricopter to fly off to god knows where if it looses the signal..thats not good to know..lol

is there any plans to add failsafe to the other protocals?

More
14 Oct 2012 05:41 #2206 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Failsafe
DSM2 Rx will save channels failsafe positions at the time of binding. You need set failsafe positions at Tx before binding. May be two types of failsafe at different DSM2 Rx (both or only one):

1) SmartSafe, when signal is lost the throttle channel only is driven to its preset failsafe position (normally low throttle) while all other channels hold last command. These fail-safe positions are stored in the receiver during binding.

2) Preset Fail-Safe, if loss of signal occurs Preset Fail-Safe drives all servos to their preset Fail-Safe positions. These fail-safe positions are stored in the receiver during binding.

Note: Preset failsafe is only available on 9-channel and greater receivers.

You need reed the binding instruction to your Rx.

More
14 Oct 2012 05:56 #2207 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Failsafe
That is good to know.
I can override all channel values during DSM2 binding to the failsafe values. Then it is mostly up to your receiver whether or not it obeys the commands.

More
14 Oct 2012 05:58 #2208 by vlad_vy
Maybe failsafe settings for DSM2 protocol can be easily implemented if Tx will set channels at failsafe positions in time of binding and reset channels after binding.

More
14 Oct 2012 08:59 - 15 Oct 2012 04:32 #2213 by vlad_vy

magic_marty wrote: oh...so the orange dsm rx i ordered could cause my tricopter to fly off to god knows where if it looses the signal..thats not good to know..lol

Setting failsafe on OrangeRX DSM receivers

If you need *all* channels to go to some specific positions on signal lost ("Preset Fail-Safe" mode, as mentioned above), you should bind the receiver in the following way:
- TX & RX off
- Plug the binding plug
- Switch on the RX -> flashes
- Remove the binding plug -> RX keeps flashing
- Switch on the TX in binding mode with the sticks at desired positions

This worked with the 6ch as well as with 9ch receiver from OrangeRx. I think it is the same procedure with most genuine spektrum receivers.

If you don't remove the plug before switching on the TX, only the throttle channel will move to failsafe position in case of a signal loss ("SmartSafe" mode, as mentioned above).

BUT not all receivers have both failsafe methods.
Last edit: 15 Oct 2012 04:32 by vlad_vy.

Time to create page: 0.036 seconds