Vote request: Textsel widget for devo10

More
30 Oct 2012 06:48 #2481 by suvsuv
The TextSel widget provides selection and button functions, and will be used the most frequently in the Devo10. As the devo10's dot-pixels are very limited, the widget can't be displayed as nice as it is in devo8. I would like you to make a vote from below screen-shot, which one do you like , or provide me a better text-icon for it

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
30 Oct 2012 07:33 #2482 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Vote request: Textsel widget for devo10
For me the first assumes numbers to be counted down-/upward. I would prefer the second, but for better visibility with a small gap between the signs and the inverted box.

More
30 Oct 2012 08:09 #2483 by suvsuv
Replied by suvsuv on topic Vote request: Textsel widget for devo10
Change one per RBE's suggestion. Still need more voting

Attachments:

More
30 Oct 2012 09:06 - 30 Oct 2012 09:48 #2485 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Vote request: Textsel widget for devo10
Well, this will not be a vote, I just want to share my opinion:

I think those fonts (and the fields, menu items and all that depends on the fonts) are still too large for such a display.
I know, that they cannot be much smaller to support the traditional chinese, but then if they have to be that large, you should optimize the display and the widgets to spare more room.

For example showing boxed text is a bit of luxury. You will invert the selected widget anyway, so it will be boxed, but that inverted area only have to be one pixel wider on each side, while a simple box needs at least two pixels space for each side.
But if there are no boxes, how you can sign, that it is a value or a button, you could ask...
Well, for the values there are the < > signs, like the curve funtion value on your screen.
The buttons are harder, but I think a square bracket would do: [ Save ]

It might not be so fancy, but you would have more space for other controls, and it would need even less drawing, as they could be displayed as text...
Last edit: 30 Oct 2012 09:48 by FDR. Reason: typo

More
30 Oct 2012 10:21 - 30 Oct 2012 10:25 #2488 by suvsuv
FDR, saving 1 or 2 pixel in width and height won't change anything, we can still show only 5 rows unless the font size can be smaller than 10x10, which is impossible to hold any symbolic fonts.
And I don't believe squeeze letter smaller to hold more items is a good idea, it just make the GUI look strange.
Last edit: 30 Oct 2012 10:25 by suvsuv.

More
30 Oct 2012 10:34 - 30 Oct 2012 12:33 #2489 by FDR
I do not have a DEVO 10, so don't take my word too seriously, and I see Walkera is doing the same:

...but I think the er9x display (which has about the same resolution) is more practical:

It has 8 rows, but of course it doesn't support other languages...
Last edit: 30 Oct 2012 12:33 by FDR.

More
30 Oct 2012 13:06 #2493 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Vote request: Textsel widget for devo10
You are right that they support more rows, but not having full unicode support is a show-stopper for me. I really like that Deviation has been ported to so many languages, and I don't want to hinder that.
There may be screens where we can use 8-px fonts (for instance where the screen is mostly filled with numerical data), but generally we need to be able to handle the 'full' unicode character set wherever we do today with the Devo8 (and in a few places we don't yet)

I like your 2nd round spinbox with the slight space around the '<', and '>'. and while I agree it would be nicer to get more info on the screen, I don't really see any way to do that right now, and your solution of using a scrollbar is a good one.

More
30 Oct 2012 13:26 - 30 Oct 2012 13:29 #2495 by suvsuv
FDR, in my previous version of codes, I followed Walkera's UI style and use Labe widget as a option selector. However, during the porting of existing deviation 8 codes, I found that the label widget could not provide the same flexibility as the textsel widget do: selection by using UP/DOWN keys and toggling on/off by using ENT key. That is why I had all label-selection widgets changed to textsel widgets and ask for suggestions to get a better icon for the textsel widget in devo10

BTW, I do believe the current GUI is better than Walkera's , if you compared the screenshot with real device's picture :cheer:

In terms of the Er9X, its LCD has more dot-pixel than devo's, and there is no way for it to support Chinese or other complex languages with its current font selection
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Oct 2012 13:29 by suvsuv.

More
30 Oct 2012 14:09 - 30 Oct 2012 14:15 #2497 by FDR
OK, I'm sold. ;)

That's really nice, I just worry about displaying some more complex forms, like the complex mixer itself.
For the list like forms (like this picture), it is perfect.

The problem with the complex mixer is that it contains more pages, so you have to page throw them, when you are searching for a setting.
However if you don't see all the settings of a page at once, then you have to scroll down too on all pages...

I must admit, that I do not know any better solution!

BTW, about your sample:
Would it be possible to move the revert button a pixel higher, and all the contents under the line a pixel lower, to not contact the separating line?
There is room for that, and it would be nicer...
Last edit: 30 Oct 2012 14:15 by FDR. Reason: typo

More
30 Oct 2012 15:16 #2498 by suvsuv

FDR wrote: OK, I'm sold. ;)
BTW, about your sample:
Would it be possible to move the revert button a pixel higher, and all the contents under the line a pixel lower, to not contact the separating line?
There is room for that, and it would be nicer...

The current font I am using is 7x5, which is not the right one I will use for release version. I actually need a 12x12(actual size is 11 x11 with at least 1 row and 1 column spacing) font to support multi-national languages. Currently, this size of font is not there yet. When using 12x12 font, there should be no room any more.

In terms of complex mixer pages, they are all done in devo10 already. Of coz, as you mentioned above, we can't expect that these pages can be drawn as nice as they are in devo8, due to pixel limitation. However, they are still better than the factory's Curve GUI.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds