Simplified mixer

More
30 Dec 2012 19:19 #4375 by PhracturedBlue
Simplified mixer was created by PhracturedBlue
I've just merged SuvSuv's 'Traditional' mixer (renamed as 'Simple') for the Devo10. I also implemented the equivalent pages for the Devo8, but the work is still very preliminary. I spent only a few minutes on the icons, and as little time on the layout as I could to get the capabilities in place.

I'll be very interested in feedback about the new system as well as any bugs you run into (probably lots)

Great thanks to suvsuv for doing this and ensuring it is easy to port.
The topic has been locked.
More
30 Dec 2012 20:29 #4378 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Simplified mixer
OK, let's start! ;)

Reverse page shows only 8 channels even if I set it to 12 on the model config page. The reverses don't change by clicking on them, just by the spin buttons.

...to be continued...
More
30 Dec 2012 20:31 #4379 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Simplified mixer
none of the pages will show more than 8 channels. I didn't implement paging yet
More
30 Dec 2012 20:32 #4380 by FDR
Subtrims ditto: only 8 channels...

LOL about the rabbit/turtle icon! :lol:
More
30 Dec 2012 20:33 #4381 by FDR

PhracturedBlue wrote: none of the pages will show more than 8 channels. I didn't implement paging yet

Actually there is enough space for two more, but it doesn't show less then 8 either...
More
30 Dec 2012 20:48 #4382 by PhracturedBlue
yeah, well, as I said, I just wanted to get basic functionality out so I can get some feedback. I will rework the pages with channel-list soon to actually behave properly with variable # of channels.

Thanks for testing so quickly!

While I will likely rework many of the icons eventually, a few I really struggled to find a meaningful icon for. I looked at Walkera's and honestly it is really hard from just the image of the icon to have a clue what they will do before pressing them.
I like the tortoise/hare metaphor for dual-rates, though I'm not sure it is much better than what Walkera has done.
More
30 Dec 2012 20:59 #4384 by FDR
Well, I didn't want to whine about the look first, but yes, icons are hard stuff.

For example there are a few functions, which could have the same servo arm picture: travel adjust, subtrim, and trim.
While you are right that the Walkera icons don't differ enough for the first sight, they have the advantage that people are used to them, and they are preatty nice and uniform too...

Do you insist on not using them?
More
30 Dec 2012 21:14 #4386 by PhracturedBlue
Well, I certainly can't use theirs. There are copyright limitations that prevent that.

If someone wants to build a nice uniform set of 48x47 icons to replace the clunky ones I have, I'm all for it, but they must be licensed in a way that I can distribute them.
More
30 Dec 2012 21:34 #4389 by FDR
OK, I hope we will have some volunteer graphic artists! ;)

Other:
Don't you think that the simplified swash form could be unified with the heli options form?
More
30 Dec 2012 21:59 #4390 by FDR
The switch assignments don't hold their changed value, but always reset to the default.
More
30 Dec 2012 22:00 #4391 by FDR
Throttle hold on/off could be togglable too...
More
30 Dec 2012 22:14 #4393 by PhracturedBlue
All above issues should now be fixed
More
31 Dec 2012 01:29 - 31 Dec 2012 01:41 #4396 by RugWarrior
Replied by RugWarrior on topic Simplified mixer
Hi PB.

When I try to build your repo I get an error when using TARGET=devo6

devo8 and devo10 are working fine :)

I tested it and the problems started with
commit 6ce1a9b (1175) suvsuv: simple mixer implementation for devo10
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Dec 2012 01:41 by RugWarrior. Reason: Found commit causing problems
More
31 Dec 2012 04:45 #4398 by PhracturedBlue
It compiles now. I'm not sure it will actually work properly though. Someone with a devo6 will need to try it out.
More
31 Dec 2012 07:25 - 31 Dec 2012 11:54 #4406 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Simplified mixer
Devo8:

Throttle and Pitch curves:
In my liking throttle and pitch curve controls will be better to place at one column L,..M,...H, all Locked by default.

Gyro sence:
Channel: content doesn't fit - will be better to leave only Gear, Aux2 (without channel number), or use more wide control.

Transmitter config: navigation buttons (<- and ->) not work.

Language file :Model needs to be reset\nin order to iswitch to the simple mixer
Last edit: 31 Dec 2012 11:54 by vlad_vy.
More
31 Dec 2012 09:28 #4409 by FDR

vlad_vy wrote: Throttle and Pitch curves:
In my liking throttle and pitch curve controls will be better to place at one column L,..M,...H, all Locked by default.

Yep, I agree.
While on the DEVO 10 it had some advantages to keep the most frequent fields at the beginning of the tab order to save some clicks, in the DEVO 8 with the touch screen it is just more confusing.

Besides, I don't get why curves are 9 point?
All the DEVOs (except the 12) have 7 point curves, so if we want to give them a similar and hence familiar interface, why don't you offer a 7 point curve?
I have to admit, that I like quarters better then thirds, but this way existing DEVO users have to recalculate all their curves...
More
31 Dec 2012 10:09 - 31 Dec 2012 10:31 #4411 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic Simplified mixer
PLEASE don't ever remove the "Advanced" mixer. When I got my Devo8 I looked at the stock firmware for about 60 seconds and completely hated it. I'm was using er9x for about the last year or so. The normal mixer in deviation is fine on the 8s. It may be that the 10 has some issues with screen layout, and that's why the change is needed?

I assume that this new style gui is to make deviation look more like the stock firmware?

I don't understand why you need a "gyro page" for example. How hard is it to assign a value to channel 5 or channel 7? (to me, that is way more Simple than the new gui) Again, if this is all to make it look like stock walkera firmware and thus allow new users to more closely copy settings from the heli manual, then fine. (but then again, they can just use the stock firmware right?)

The amount (and quality) of work that you guys have done here is fantastic. I'm sure there will be some users that like the new gui. Just please don't remove the way you had it.

Cheers!!!

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Last edit: 31 Dec 2012 10:31 by Hexperience.
More
31 Dec 2012 12:59 #4419 by PhracturedBlue
Don't worry, the advanced mixer isn't going anywhere. suvsuv did an awesome job of creating an interface that requires less learning to get going with. One great thing about it is that you can go rom simple->advanced with the click of a button and the settings themselves won't change (going the other way is, generally, not going to work of coure). So you can 'go advanced' at any time (or just stay advanced all the time if you prefer)

Personally, I don't see the big deal, but I wrote the 'advanced' mixer, so of course I know how to use it. There have been a lot of complaints about the interface, and this will hopefully open up Deviation to even more people. That can't be a bad thing.
More
31 Dec 2012 14:12 #4427 by PhracturedBlue
I've addressed all of Vlad's issues now. The 'L' and 'H' buttons can't be locked because it really has no meaning with the way'Auto' works. Maybe in the future we could interpolate those too, but it is more complicated than I think is warranted.
More
31 Dec 2012 16:32 #4429 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Simplified mixer
One more thing, in
_common_simple.c

"Idle 1" and "Idle 2"

should be

"Idle up 1"
"Idle up 2"

or

"Fmode 1"
"Fmode 2"

That's how people talk about them, and having just "Idle" is confusing, at least for me.

What do you think?

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire
Time to create page: 0.056 seconds