TX POWER

• stein@office-center.no
  • stein@office-center.no's Avatar Topic Author
More
16 Feb 2013 11:10 #6429 by stein@office-center.no
TX POWER was created by stein@office-center.no
HI

I'm new to RC and have just got an Devo-10 and installed the deveationtx firmware and bound it to DSM2 (Blade 120SR). Everything works fine but have not found any information about TX power - which to use or when to use which setting. I guess this is how much power the radio are sending with, but when to use the different setting I would like to know.

Thanks..

Stein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2013 12:47 #6431 by domcars0
Replied by domcars0 on topic TX POWER
TX Power depend on how far you want to be able to command your heli.
Generally for indoor 1mW is enough, 10mW is good for outdoor small machines, 100/150mW for the the biggest.

Devo 10 (+7e) owner. It's mine, please don't touch it with your big fingers :angry:

More
16 Feb 2013 19:25 #6451 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic TX POWER
Also, it is not friendly to use more power than you need. So while you could use 150mW everywhere, it adds interference to the 2.4GHz spectrum, and can cause disruption to others flying, cordless phones, wifi, or bluetooth.

More
16 Feb 2013 20:04 #6455 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic TX POWER

PhracturedBlue wrote: Also, it is not friendly to use more power than you need. So while you could use 150mW everywhere, it adds interference to the 2.4GHz spectrum, and can cause disruption to others flying, cordless phones, wifi, or bluetooth.

Another problem with too much TX power is with telemetry: The typical telemetry capable RX or the Walkera CTL telemetry module have a fixed 5 or 20mW output. If you have 150mW enabled on your TX you raises the RF noise floor in the 2.4GHz band (as PB described), which will significantly reduces the sensitivity of your TX's telemetry receiver. This will result in reduced telemetry distance compared to the distance you could get from the 20mW transmission.

More
16 Feb 2013 20:10 #6456 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic TX POWER
Really? Why?
They never transmit at once...

More
16 Feb 2013 21:03 - 16 Feb 2013 21:03 #6463 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic TX POWER
I think you focus on the digital side of the chip, where the process is half duplex. On the receiver RF front-end (analogue) side, and especially when you have a LNA with dynamics gain stage in the signal path, it is not that simple. The higher the RF energy feeds back into the RX path, and it takes a while to settle back to maximum RX sensitivity. The typical R/C system is not designed as a full duplex RF system like a cell phone.

Your statement also assumes you are using the same RF module for the TX and telemetry, which is not necessarily the case for many (of 3rd party add-on) telemetry systems.
Last edit: 16 Feb 2013 21:03 by RandMental.

More
16 Feb 2013 21:14 #6466 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic TX POWER
Yep, I was referring about the DEVO and DSM telemetry, which use the same RF module.

However about the analogue RF stage: the DEVO uses the T212 amp/preamp, in which the half duplex mode is implemented by an antennna switch, so while it is transmitting, the preamp's input is disconnected anyway.
Of course it still needs some recovery time after the transmittion, but shouldn't be too much dependent on the output power. I hope the delay defined by the protocol is enough for that... ;)

More
17 Jul 2014 15:06 #24637 by Torch
Replied by Torch on topic TX POWER Devo 10
So for Devo 10 flying Blade 130x, V120d02s , 200QX and Ladybird flying in a football size field which mw value should I used? Not using Telemetry.

10mw, 30mw , 100mw or 150mw

Same question but football size field in busy city park with alot of runners/bikers on bluetooh passing by?

More
17 Jul 2014 18:06 - 17 Jul 2014 18:07 #24642 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic TX POWER
10mV will be enough, but for confidence you can use 30mw.
Last edit: 17 Jul 2014 18:07 by vlad_vy.

More
11 Dec 2018 21:52 #72056 by Stavross118
Replied by Stavross118 on topic TX POWER frisky

vlad_vy wrote: 10mV will be enough, but for confidence you can use 30mw.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds