Major Problem Part 2 ? ! ?

More
15 Apr 2013 00:56 #8937 by JFS737
Major Problem Part 2 ? ! ? was created by JFS737
So,
About 4 or 5 weeks ago, I was flying my plank and got a beep from the Devo 10, followed by immediate loss of all control and the model entering safety mode. Shortly after this a vertical impact. I was told this was likely a reboot. I was then told the newest version of the firmware is more stable than the version I had been using (2.1 I think). I got it from the nightlies about 2 or 3 weeks ago… 2.2.???.

Today… Same problem.... Different plane, same result.

Airplane #2 is now dust. My own fault I suppose, but just thought I'd let you all know. I have a Devo 10 and use Deviation for 3 heli's and 2 planes (now zero planes). I had an RX1002 in the first crash and this one had an RX802.

I guess I will be buying another transmitter... just wanted to pass along a reminder that this has happened twice to me with 2 different versions of the deviation software with catastrophic results. No idea what is the culprit, a bad Devo 10 or this firmware or who knows.

Any help would be great as the community might gain from it. I don't wish for any one else to have this happen to them. I will continue to fly my micro heli's with this software to further investigate this issue as they are easy to fix. Unfortunately for me, my quest for a single radio has ended. I thank PB and others for all their great work. I hope you get it licked but also want others to know what has been happening and provide this cautionary tale. Again, any ideas or help appreciated.

Regards,

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2013 02:09 #8938 by thloh85
Replied by thloh85 on topic Major Problem Part 2 ? ! ?
I had similar issue, but I highly suspect that it is caused by bad BEC in ESC. Since I used external BEC, I've never seen brownouts, so I suggest you to take the problem from there.

More
15 Apr 2013 02:50 #8939 by ColdFire
Replied by ColdFire on topic Major Problem Part 2 ? ! ?
If there is a beep sound then probably a firmware reset involved.
JFS737: could you list the protocol and build# so PB or other one may be able to track the problem down.

thloh85 wrote: I had similar issue, but I highly suspect that it is caused by bad BEC in ESC. Since I used external BEC, I've never seen brownouts, so I suggest you to take the problem from there.

More
15 Apr 2013 03:39 - 15 Apr 2013 03:40 #8940 by JFS737
Replied by JFS737 on topic Major Problem Part 2 ? ! ?
Thanks guys,

Thloh... I'm not sure what BEC in the ESC means in this instance.... this was an airplane with a battery and an RX802 receiver. How would this force the TX to do a reboot? I am not too up to speed on some stuff here.

Ok,
the protocol was DEVO and the FW is
devo10-e05abdefdc9d
Last edit: 15 Apr 2013 03:40 by JFS737. Reason: add

More
15 Apr 2013 04:29 - 15 Apr 2013 04:29 #8941 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Major Problem Part 2 ? ! ?
You should also hook up the TX in usb mode and upload your errors.txt file found in the root of the drive. Maybe it will help.

I have a plane I fly with an RX802 without issues so far, so I guess in your case there is something else going wrong. Could be a defective TX, could be your batteries, etc.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire
Last edit: 15 Apr 2013 04:29 by sbstnp.

More
15 Apr 2013 04:59 - 15 Apr 2013 17:50 #8943 by JFS737
Here is the file from the Devo 10. I have had this issue 2x now with different planes, hopefully this file will tell us why so no one has to worry.

Thanks,

John
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Apr 2013 17:50 by JFS737.

More
15 Apr 2013 14:39 #8954 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic Major Problem Part 2 ? ! ?
Does the watchdog write errors to this file and do we have to enable debugging at all or is it running all the time?

My devo12 has rebooted on occasion, I think it had something to do with the back light dimming. I always just disable turning off the screen now.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

More
15 Apr 2013 14:57 #8956 by JFS737
Not sure about the logging, this was a nightly folks told me was improved... so I got it and flew a few times. It created the log file and I did nothing to tell it to do so. Not sure if V2 or V3 Deviation would do the same.

Regards,

John

More
15 Apr 2013 15:17 #8958 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Major Problem Part 2 ? ! ?
errors.txt is always "on", there is no need to enable it.

PB however would need the .elf file of that specific build as well. and being a nightly it might not be available anymore. The errors .txt file is useless without it.

More
15 Apr 2013 15:54 #8960 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic Major Problem Part 2 ? ! ?
The nightly builds include the elf file.

John, in the download of the nightly build you were flying you will find a zip file. That is the .elf file that PB will need to trouble shoot the problem.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

More
15 Apr 2013 17:45 - 15 Apr 2013 17:46 #8964 by JFS737
I got the elf.... Hope this helps. Thanks for all your help guys.

Regards,

John
Last edit: 15 Apr 2013 17:46 by JFS737.

More
15 Apr 2013 17:47 #8965 by JFS737
Tried to attach.. . hmmm

More
15 Apr 2013 17:47 - 15 Apr 2013 17:51 #8966 by JFS737
file again... Edit: Can't seem to insert or add an attachment. !? ! seemed to work for the .txt file above but not so much for this one? I'll rename it .txt and try again.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2013 17:51 by JFS737. Reason: file

More
15 Apr 2013 17:53 - 15 Apr 2013 17:54 #8967 by JFS737
File again, renamed as .txt and in original. EDIT: The original does not come through... but this is the same file renamed to .txt... just rename it back to .elf if you need to. Hope it works.

John
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Apr 2013 17:54 by JFS737.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
15 Apr 2013 20:10 #8969 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Major Problem Part 2 ? ! ?
Attachments are a little difficult here. FDR can surely tell more. What works: zip them.

More
15 Apr 2013 22:44 #8971 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Major Problem Part 2 ? ! ?
Sorry to here about your reboots. I will examine the elf and errors.txt and see if I can identify the issue.
If folks have reboots and don't report them, there is no way I can fix them, so I strongly encourage filing issues on bitbucket whenever you get a reboot, including the .elf and errors.txt.

More
15 Apr 2013 23:08 #8972 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Major Problem Part 2 ? ! ?
So the code is stuck in the wait loop waiting for the previous transmission to complete. There are 2 possibilities here:
1) for whatever reason there is a timing race and we're hitting the interrupt at just the wrong time and not resetting the watchdog. That would imply bigger problems though since it would mean the watchdog is not being resetas frequently as it should be.
2) we missed the proper signal from the cyrf and are stuck waiting for something that will never happen. I think this is more likely to be the case, but it implies the CYRF chip is not properly responding to transmit requests which is also not good.

An additional note:
The same code is used in each of the CYRF protocols, so if it is (2) above, it is equally likely to happen in any protocol.

I'll see if I can find a method to not get stuck here in the case of (2)

More
16 Apr 2013 00:50 #8974 by JFS737
Thanks for looking into this so promplty PB. I posted this issue so it could be examined and others will not suffer. I hope you find the culprit. It sounds like you have 2 good leads, please keep us updated.

Do you want me to fill out a bitbucket on this? I'm not sure what that is but will track it down if you want me to.

It almost seems like I'm the only one getting this reboot? Maybe it's my hardware? I read of another Devo 10 a few months back getting one, but he is not longer active here. I'd love to know if others have seen reboots, and get their files to you. In any case, please keep us updated if possible on what you can find out. Thanks again.

Regards,

John

More
02 May 2013 03:54 #9475 by N4JC
Replied by N4JC on topic Major Problem Part 2 ? ! ?
Just tonight I experienced a reboot on devo10-V3.0.0, Bitbucket submitted with .efl and errors.txt.

More
02 May 2013 05:38 #9476 by JFS737
Hi N4..
Thanks for submitting. I think with more than one it'll be much easier for these guys to nail it down. Good to know I'm not the only one (may rule out my transmitter as defective) but sorry you had one as well. Thanks again,

John

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds