New Devo8 variant incompatible with Deviation

More
10 May 2013 17:38 #9809 by PhracturedBlue
New Devo8 variant incompatible with Deviation was created by PhracturedBlue
We've discovered that Walkera has recently changed the supplier for their LCD modules on the Devo8. the new modules are not yet supported by Deviation (or by any of the released firmware from Walkera)

I'm currently working on support, but it is possible that they come with a different touch sensor as well, and I've been unable to identify the chipset so far (I don't have direct access to the new-model).

Until further progress has been made, be wary when buying a Devo8

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2013 21:12 #9814 by Blayd
Hmmm.. I have one sitting in a box downstairs as my back up.. guess I shou;ld break it out and see.
So basically, as I saw in the other thread, the Tx wont go through set up with Deviation if you have the new LCD.. correct?
Question, did his new 8S even boot up on the stock firmware with this new LCD? Or was it bricked when he got it?

Devo 8S
Trex500ESP
Trex500ESP (Belted tail)
HC500SE
Trex700N2E

More
10 May 2013 21:45 #9818 by Blayd
OK, spare Tx took Deviation no issues. :P

Devo 8S
Trex500ESP
Trex500ESP (Belted tail)
HC500SE
Trex700N2E

More
11 May 2013 04:35 #9825 by vanwadiver
Replied by vanwadiver on topic New Devo8 variant incompatible with Deviation
My Devo 8s worked just fine when I got it. Naturally...

It was my desire to "extend" the capabilities of the Tx that lead me to attempting the upgrade to Deviation, and then the fun started. As far as I can tell, Deviation is working just fine... thank you very much... The screen just doesn't work.

Of course attempting to go back to the "official" release available at the website doesn't do anything for me either. Same problem. Screen doesn't work.

All in all, I have to say I'm pleased with my purchase... not completely because of Walkera, but because of the active support community dedicated to the Devo products. PhracturedBlue especially. I've been in contact with Walkera support, and although they are helpful, the real interest in pursuing a solution has come primarily from PhracturedBlue.

I'm sure that Walkera will eventually cough up the correct firmware for my model, and that's nice, but the real reason I bought the Devo 8S was for Deviation.

Keep on rockin'.....

Thanks to all,
Paul

More
11 May 2013 04:51 #9827 by RoJAck
Hi Vanwadiver,

As a recent Deviation convert myself, I think I can say you will be pleased with your decision to use Deviation, once the display issue is resolved of course. I've found this firmware truly takes the transmitter to the next level. ...and things continue to evolve with each release!

Seriously, I think this firmware is selling transmitters for Walkera.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
11 May 2013 05:55 #9830 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic New Devo8 variant incompatible with Deviation
Maybe it will be a good idea to UPLOAD (with dfuse-tool) the original firmware first before UPGRADING to deviation for owners of new Devo models? At least as long as Walkera can not offer a firmware image to roll back. Will this work? I never tried it by myself.
Shouldn't such an advice be shown somewhere at a good visible place, e.g. download page?

More
11 May 2013 12:53 #9841 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic New Devo8 variant incompatible with Deviation
You cannot fetch the firmware from a walkera transmitter. This is because they prevent it in the bootloader. So no, there realy isn't anything you can do to be sure.
It is likely that vanwadiver's version was 0.10 or something that may have indicated a newer firmware than was available, but it wouldn't really have helped him know that there was a hardware change.

Luckily I've now determined the chipset (ILI9341) and vanwadiver has verifed they only changed the screen, not even he lcd daughter board, so hopefully once I have the new driver done, Deviation will be up and running properly. I've already gotten the initialization working, so I'm about80% done already.

More
11 May 2013 13:46 #9842 by 944storm
Replied by 944storm on topic New Devo8 variant incompatible with Deviation
Does this new screen offer a better backlight or any noticeable differences? Just curious.

More
11 May 2013 14:18 #9843 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic New Devo8 variant incompatible with Deviation
Well...I don't have both to compare. vanwadiver doesn't either. He also can't currently even give any feedback on performance since his screen is currently non-functional given that neither Deviation nor Walkera firmware runs on it.
So I'd say we don't know. But I would be very surprised if it is significantly better.

More
11 May 2013 14:32 - 11 May 2013 14:34 #9844 by FDR
You can't upload the fw to the PC, because it is read protected.
It will do it, but the file will contain all 0xFF...

You can get the library, but it is still the v0.0.5...

EDIT: Oops! This thread was opened long ago, so I didn't know it was already answered...
Last edit: 11 May 2013 14:34 by FDR.

More
11 May 2013 16:00 #9854 by PhracturedBlue
Thanks to some testing by vanwadiver, Deviation is now fully supported on the devo8 with the new screen. And we got it done before Walkera provided a working (replacement) firware :)

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
11 May 2013 16:41 #9857 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic New Devo8 variant incompatible with Deviation
This is the ultimate demonstration for the power of open source software.

More
11 May 2013 17:58 #9866 by Blayd

PhracturedBlue wrote: Thanks to some testing by vanwadiver, Deviation is now fully supported on the devo8 with the new screen. And we got it done before Walkera provided a working (replacement) firware :)

BRAVO!! Seriously nice work PB!!
I'm just completely floored by the work PB. This community is so far ahead of the game it's scarey.
Nice work all and congrats again PB... ;)

Devo 8S
Trex500ESP
Trex500ESP (Belted tail)
HC500SE
Trex700N2E

More
11 May 2013 18:56 #9869 by BitOne
Whaoo... Just whaoo...

I was already impressed by your work PhracturedBlue, but this time, I'm blown away ;)

You managed to support a new hardware without having it at hand, just by guessing and by remote trial and error with the guy that owns it, and in a very short time...

Congratulations Sir ! I don't know where you work, but they're fucking lucky to have you. And we are too, as Deviation users :)

More
12 May 2013 09:59 #9889 by domcars0
Replied by domcars0 on topic New Devo8 variant incompatible with Deviation
"Oh la vache!!" as we say in french :) ... PB is really is a (big) boss. Congratulation.

Devo 10 (+7e) owner. It's mine, please don't touch it with your big fingers :angry:

More
12 May 2013 15:31 #9896 by clearprop88
Replied by clearprop88 on topic New Devo8 variant incompatible with Deviation
Very impressive. Thanks again PB.

Does anyone know if the new screen has any advantages over the old one.

More
17 May 2013 12:47 #10074 by sbstnp
This thread should be stickied in the Announcements section, looks like people started to get this new model already.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

More
17 May 2013 14:24 #10079 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic New Devo8 variant incompatible with Deviation
New release and all questions will go away.

More
17 May 2013 16:02 #10082 by PhracturedBlue
Are there any regressions in the current trunk? The only major issues I'm aware of are a couple of reboot reports (from 3.0) that I haven't yet resolved.

I was planning to wait until the new Devo12 screen was merged, but it will likely be several weeks before we have that integrated and the bugs worked out, so it may be worthwhile to release as-is to make this easier. We also have the (hopefully final) toggle definitions. So using the trunk should make moving forward easier.

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds