Should i use lipo in devo 10?

More
13 Jun 2016 12:43 #50539 by RRacer
Replied by RRacer on topic Should i use lipo in devo 10?
So there's just a linear voltage regulator in the Devo 10 that takes the voltage down to 5V?
Are there no other parts of the tx that use higher voltage?
What is the lowest safe input voltage? 5V + vreg drop?

I'm currently using a 2.5 Ah 3S, but like the idea of using a 2S pack with even higher capacity.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2016 09:03 #51742 by D_an_W
Replied by D_an_W on topic Should i use lipo in devo 10?

PhracturedBlue wrote: the Devo10 really doesn't need any more than ~5V to run. If you use Alkaline or NiMH, it is a bit better since you can drain them way down and live with a large voltage drop without damaging the batteries, and so they do provide additional longevity (though it would be better with 2 4-packs in parallel. LiPo batteries don't do well being over-discharged though, so it doesn't make any sense to use a 3S to me.
I use both 2S and Eneloop in my Devo transmitters, and don't really have a preference for one vs the other. I will note (for the nth time) that the Devo power circuit is not very robust, and I have seen it burn out on several radios, even those running standard AA batteries (like my Devo8). I'm not quite sure why, but I think I flaky power switch can trigger the power FET to blow. Anyhow, you can make your own choices, but I woul recommend to either stick with NiMH, or use a 2S lipo.

Would this be a good choice of battery for the Devo 10? My 2000mAh Eneloops seem to be getting a little tired (Only lasted a few minutes after charging them overnight in the Devo 10) and my iCharger 206B can do LiFe batteries!

*** Walkera Devo 10 * 4-in-1 Module * Deviation v5 *** *** Walkera Devo 7E * A7105 Module * 2x 3 Way Switches * Power Mod * Deviation v5 ***

More
16 Jul 2016 16:05 #51756 by mdmbc
Replied by mdmbc on topic Should i use lipo in devo 10?
This one should fit with plenty of space to spare: bit.ly/29Y5iIh . There might even just be enough room to squeeze two of them in the battery bay.

More
15 Sep 2016 13:15 #53880 by Fer
Replied by Fer on topic Should i use lipo in devo 10?
Ok, i tryed a 2200mah 2 cells battery and the tx works ok, but what can be done for the "can not save" thing? I mean most of the time i have to change something, add something, put some trims etc. How can this problem be solved? Or is the 2 cell battery only usefull when you know you won't be doing any changes? Because if that is how it works then it is not much help, each time i have to try or change something i need to plug a 3S battery or Alkaline or NiMH. Anyone has found a better solution?

More
15 Sep 2016 21:55 - 15 Sep 2016 21:56 #53893 by RRacer
You need to edit tx.ini, and set batt_critical to a lower value.
I think the default is about 10500 (mV).
Set it to the lower limits of a 2-cell pack, say 7500 (7.5 V), and you should be fine.
batt_critical can not be edited in the tx gui, you have to do it from a computer over USB.
Do not edit with Notepad, use Notepad++ or some other proper editor.
Last edit: 15 Sep 2016 21:56 by RRacer.

More
15 Sep 2016 23:02 #53894 by Fer
Thank you very much. I did that, and it works just fine. I wouldn't have found myself that batt_critical is responsible for that message. I thought it had something to do with actuall hardware limitations and not a voltage warning. Thank you.

Now i only need to find a 2 cells battery that is a better fit than the one i am testing now.

More
28 Dec 2016 10:06 #57285 by eddyjp
Replied by eddyjp on topic Should i use lipo in devo 10?
Here's maybe a dumb question but why would I even consider using a lipo over standard Eneloop batteries? What advantages do lipos have? And what are the disadvantages?

More
28 Dec 2016 12:36 #57287 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic Should i use lipo in devo 10?
I've been thinking about doing this...
    Pros:
  1. Lighter weight
  2. Long operating time
  3. High potential charge cycle count
  4. You might have one lying around
    Cons:
  1. Must remove to charge, or alternatively mod charge circuit
  2. Non-standard voltages

Another alternative is to make a mod to the USB so NIMH batteries can be charged when connected to USB. Note this mod is specifically for the Devo 7e, and I'm planning to try it on my 6s as the requirements are the same. I will test it on a 12e when I get chance, and I believe it will be ok...but YMMV!

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
28 Dec 2016 12:53 #57288 by eddyjp
Thanks! I have to remove the Eneloop batteries to charge them, anyway, so that's not really a con. The non-standard voltages seems to be a big problem. I've seen people talk about using 2S and 3S. Also, as the Tx stands around quite a lot, wouldn't a Li-Fe battery perhaps be better?

More
28 Dec 2016 13:24 #57289 by D_an_W
My LiFe battery works really well, far better than the Eneloops I was using previously.

*** Walkera Devo 10 * 4-in-1 Module * Deviation v5 *** *** Walkera Devo 7E * A7105 Module * 2x 3 Way Switches * Power Mod * Deviation v5 ***

More
28 Dec 2016 13:29 #57290 by eddyjp
That's what I thought might be the case. What voltage rating are you using? Do you have a link to the battery you use?

More
28 Dec 2016 13:31 #57291 by D_an_W
I use the Turnigy nano-tech 1500mAH LiFe 3S 9.9v Transmitter Pack.

More
28 Dec 2016 14:13 #57293 by RRacer
I use this: www.aliexpress.com/item/ZOP-Power-7-4V-2...lug/32609492845.html
2S 2200 mAh - you could easily fit two of them in a Devo10 for a total of 4400 mAH!
$10 each.

More
28 Dec 2016 14:24 #57295 by eddyjp
Thanks. But, isn't the voltage a bit low?

More
28 Dec 2016 14:30 #57296 by RRacer
As there is a 5V (and 3.3V) linear voltage regulator, the 2.4V difference from 2S Lipo minimum voltage is enough.
The LM1117 need a minimum of 1.2V difference to do its thing. Anything above that goes off as heat, which of course may be nice during winter :)

More
28 Dec 2016 14:36 #57297 by eddyjp
Great info. Thanks. I'm learning a lot about electronics (and flying) through this hobby!

More
29 Dec 2016 15:17 #57328 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Should i use lipo in devo 10?
Has anyone tried either 2 or 3S of a DIY 18650 pack?

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
22 Jan 2017 23:15 #58305 by Givmedew
Replied by Givmedew on topic Should i use lipo in devo 10?
Has anyone tried this? I have 2 laying around and they have protection circuits.

www.aliexpress.com/item/ETC-Hot-3-Pcs-Op...ack/32717794935.html

Would be easy to fit that into the TX... Don't have to worry about overdischarging them. Of course you'd never want to run them dead anyways because the system would cut out.

More
10 Dec 2017 00:23 #66424 by Fer
This thread hasn't got any new messages since long time, i hope there is still some interest in finding the best solution for DEVO battery,

At the moment, i am using a ZOP 2S 2200mah LiPo battery. The problem is, it is only good for a day's flying. Actually i have two of those, and both perform similarly, and not very good i must say. Anyway, i was thinking of purchasing a 2s LiFe battery. It must be a 2s not a 3s Life, as i have modified the battery compartment to fit an extra 5volts bec with a switch, that turn on-off an internal signal amplifier. The DEVO's needs combined with the amplifier needs, allows for about 1-1,5 hour of flying when set to 100mw.

The benefit of a LiFe battery is that it can be discharged without problems. But will DEVO work ok with a 2s Life? As far as i know, they have a nominal voltage of 6,6Volts. That means that they can easily get below 6volts. Will DEVO still be able to work ok with that little voltage? Has anyone esle been using a 2s LiFe in the DEVO 10? 3s look like a much safer and logical solution, but it just won't fit in the compartment.

More
10 Dec 2017 02:56 #66425 by Gerry
Replied by Gerry on topic Should i use lipo in devo 10?
I use 6 x AA Nimh (Taranis battery) in my Devo 12e instead of 8 x AA batteries. I had to edit tx.ini for battery alarm and battery critical to suit 6 cells AA and it works perfectly. So your choice of 2s LiFe should be good. I think I tested and the 12e works ok down to about 5v.

Devo 7e A7105 NRF24L01 CC2500 2x3 way & voice, Devo 12e 4 in 1 & voice.
FFS (Forever Fixing Stuff)

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds