A Deviation Wiki?

More
08 Jul 2013 19:25 #12104 by myxiplx
A Deviation Wiki? was created by myxiplx
Hi folks,

I really like the idea of a Wiki for Deviation. There are a lot of features that could do with documenting, and with the pace of development and community nature I can't help feel a Wiki makes a more natural fit than a formal PDF.

I'd happily volunteer a bit of time to write up some sections, or transfer the existing manual, and if needed I could help with the setup of a Wiki server or service too.

Some Wiki's allow you to export as PDF too, so if we structured it carefully it might be possible to generate the manual from the Wiki documentation.

What do you think PB? Would you mind giving the community a go at taking on the work of documenting Deviation?

Myx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2013 03:24 #12112 by richardclli
Replied by richardclli on topic A Deviation Wiki?
Nice idea, I will contribute as well.

More
09 Jul 2013 03:49 #12114 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic A Deviation Wiki?
I wouldn't be against a Wiki, but I'd probably use it to replace the 'Articles' section rather than the PDF. I like the control I have in the PDF of exactly how the pages are displayed, and it is much easier to do proper translations of.

On the other hand, Joomla doesn't have native Wiki support, and the bridges all look kinda half-baked. Also, I wouldn't want an open-access wiki, which means maintaining yet another code base. Lastly, I am not convinced there are actually enough people here to actually fill one in.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
09 Jul 2013 07:01 #12122 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic A Deviation Wiki?
Bitbucket offers a way to add a Wiki to a repository. It is also a mercurial repository which can be handled similar, but there is also a web interface for creating and changing pages (similar to the issue editor).
I have setup a fast example here: rbe's testwiki . I have set it to public open - everybody can read, but writing seems to be restricted. I have allowed PhracturedBlue and myxiplx to write.

The main problems I see with a Wiki:
  • structuring is hard (not impossible, but needs some care)
  • we would have to conclude if anyone should be able to write text or if we have an editors team who decide which changes will be included (similar to a merge of code...) (for the bitbucket wiki the first might not work at all)

More
09 Jul 2013 07:34 #12124 by myxiplx
Replied by myxiplx on topic A Deviation Wiki?
Hi rbe, it's a nice idea but with no inline editor it's going to be inaccessible to a lot of people.

Ideally I'd prefer something that's managed completely online, however, at the moment I suspect that everybody who's interested in helping out is either familiar with IT or programming tools, and capable of working with bitbucket.

I'll leave the idea to stew for a bit, I'm pretty new to the Deviation forums so don't want to be too pushy :)

More
09 Jul 2013 07:39 #12125 by myxiplx
Hmm... anybody know if Joomla articles can have internal hyperlinks? Can the articles become a more formal Wiki?

More
09 Jul 2013 07:56 #12127 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic A Deviation Wiki?

PhracturedBlue wrote: I wouldn't be against a Wiki, but I'd probably use it to replace the 'Articles' section rather than the PDF. I like the control I have in the PDF of exactly how the pages are displayed, and it is much easier to do proper translations of.

On the other hand, Joomla doesn't have native Wiki support, and the bridges all look kinda half-baked. Also, I wouldn't want an open-access wiki, which means maintaining yet another code base. Lastly, I am not convinced there are actually enough people here to actually fill one in.

Yes, as I saw, the logins could be kept in sync, but there is no Joomla component that could be used embedded. However I didn't spend too much time with searching...

We could allow editors to maintain the articles even now, and editing a Joomla context is not that harder with the WYSIWYG editors then editing a Wiki, only the reference links need some more attention...

More
09 Jul 2013 08:07 #12129 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic A Deviation Wiki?

myxiplx wrote: Hmm... anybody know if Joomla articles can have internal hyperlinks? Can the articles become a more formal Wiki?

Of course you can place links into the articles which point to an other article, but you have to look up the URL first, and it should be an existing one, so there are no placeholders...

More
09 Jul 2013 10:11 #12131 by myxiplx
That would be ok as far as I'm concerned, this wants to be fairly structured anyway. The main thing I think would be useful is having the content online in an easily linkable and editable form.

There's a potential concern if we're duplicating information that's in the manual, we'd need to think how best to organise the two.

More
09 Jul 2013 13:31 #12141 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic A Deviation Wiki?
The biggest challenge I see with articles is that there is no version control. i can't visualize or undo changes. That means we basically need a small trusted team to maintain it, rather than leaving it open for all members of the forum.

More
09 Jul 2013 15:18 - 09 Jul 2013 15:20 #12142 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic A Deviation Wiki?
A bit of experience - Our company is doing end-to-end product development (HW design, manufacturing, Embedded firmware and PC/web front-ends) and we tried the Wiki approach to manage information.

We soon realised is strength is also it biggest weakness - to unstructured and due to many reasons already mentioned here, it is not ideal for formal documentation / information management / transfer of evolving products and technology.

Very much as PB suggest, we have our formal documents (specs/manuals/How-to's as version controlled PDF documents that gets formally release per official product release, with much of the information pulled from the Wiki pages.

Here we have the Forum for the unstructured information sharing and we should rather volunteer to help PB with the drafting and updating the formal documentation on Bitbucket for each official release.

RBE and I started documenting the model.ini options through a Bitbucket repository a while ago and I suggest we do the same for the other required Manuals / How-to documents.
Last edit: 09 Jul 2013 15:20 by RandMental.

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds