How to setup double command?

More
22 Aug 2013 11:07 - 22 Aug 2013 11:08 #13150 by Xermalk
How to setup double command? was created by Xermalk
Hello
Is there a guide somewhere on how to setup double command?
I have a friend that wants to try to fly my mini quad and heicopter, and i have a Devo 10 and Devo7E capable of flying it.

I would love if someone had a template for Walkera double command, and DSM2 double command.

I skimmed the manual but couldn't seem to find the section regarding double command/buddy boxing.
Last edit: 22 Aug 2013 11:08 by Xermalk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
22 Aug 2013 12:13 #13151 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic How to setup double command?
I assume you mean a trainer mode?
With the actual nightly builds (not sure if already implemented in the main stream 3.0.0) there is an option for PPM. On the trainee's tx you set the protocol to PPM out, on the trainer's tx you set PPM in to "Channel", assign the channels (1:1 if you use the same model.ini) and define a trainer switch (don't know which way it works: active means trainee or trainer has control?).
There is another thread about PPM input where you can find further information: http://www.deviationtx.com/forum/7-development/1323-usb-hid-joystick-ppm-in-program?start=100#10845

More
27 Aug 2013 03:22 - 27 Aug 2013 03:24 #13331 by dawsonmobley
Replied by dawsonmobley on topic How to setup double command?

rbe2012 wrote: I assume you mean a trainer mode?
With the actual nightly builds (not sure if already implemented in the main stream 3.0.0) there is an option for PPM. On the trainee's tx you set the protocol to PPM out, on the trainer's tx you set PPM in to "Channel", assign the channels (1:1 if you use the same model.ini) and define a trainer switch (don't know which way it works: active means trainee or trainer has control?).
There is another thread about PPM input where you can find further information: http://www.deviationtx.com/forum/7-development/1323-usb-hid-joystick-ppm-in-program?start=100#10845

Am I correct in assuming both tx's need to have deviation firmware installed to buddybox? Been waiting for this capability to be added, I even added a secondary micro switch to the front right of my 8s back before I started using deviation for quick switching so I'm hoping I will be able to use it again as well. I have a spare 7e I hope to use as the trainer tx since it looks liek deviation is available for it now as well?
Last edit: 27 Aug 2013 03:24 by dawsonmobley.

More
27 Aug 2013 04:28 #13333 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic How to setup double command?

dawsonmobley wrote: Am I correct in assuming both tx's need to have deviation firmware installed to buddybox?

No, you don't have to, but it's indeed more simple if both transmitters have the same config...

More
27 Aug 2013 23:26 #13341 by Xermalk
Replied by Xermalk on topic How to setup double command?
I tired setting up trainer mode today at the field, but diddnt get ti to work very well.

For some reason it was sending 0 -200 something on the channel instead of -100 to 100. And some channels on the "master" tx seemed to stop working as they should.

Ill post the model files when i wake up tomorrow.

• rbe2012
More
28 Aug 2013 05:59 #13348 by rbe2012
Please tell us also which tx you tried to connect.

More
28 Aug 2013 12:16 - 28 Aug 2013 12:16 #13352 by Xermalk
Devo 10 as master and a Devo 7E as slave.

model1.ini is the master file and model7.ini is the slave one.
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Aug 2013 12:16 by Xermalk.

• rbe2012
More
28 Aug 2013 14:18 #13353 by rbe2012
In model1.ini NUM_CHANNELS for PPM in is set to 1 - should be 6 to controll all six channels with both tx...

More
28 Aug 2013 14:22 - 28 Aug 2013 14:24 #13354 by Xermalk

rbe2012 wrote: In model1.ini NUM_CHANNELS for PPM in is set to 1 - should be 6 to controll all six channels with both tx...

What? really it was set to 7 on the field. The 7E was controlling all the channels, but at very odd values.

Edit: I just double checked the tx. There is no way to set number of channels when you select ppm in: Channel in model setup. All i can do is assign ppm 1-8 to specific tx channels.
Last edit: 28 Aug 2013 14:24 by Xermalk.

• rbe2012
More
28 Aug 2013 15:29 #13357 by rbe2012
When this feature was developed I did many tests but I confess I never used it in the field...
I will try your config later in the evening and report back.

• rbe2012
More
28 Aug 2013 19:55 #13359 by rbe2012
As often I did not as much time I wish I have...

I have tested the trainer mode again. It is quite useful to have two identically configured models (I did not have this and wondered about pitch jumps when switching until I have made them the same; easier is to copy the model config from one tx to the other). On the trainee's tx you change the protocol to PPM, at least 6 channels, remove the unique id and select "re-init".
On the trainer's rx go into the model config and change "PPM in" to "channel" and configure the channels. Since you have copied the model, the input-to-output channel mapping is 1:1 (in your config ch1 and 2 are swapped). Then select a switch to activate the trainer mode (you have used GEAR0). As long as the switch is in the selected position, the trainee controls your bird, if not (GEAR1) you do.
So nearly everything looks fine in your config besides the "num_channels=1" thing. But I am not sure if this is important - in the emulator where I configured a model similar I ended with "num_channels=0"...
I have seen you moved the center value from standard 1500 to 1100 (centerpw=1100)- this might affect the values because the trainer tx expects them at 1500. I am not sure how great this effect is but from my guess it should be the same at trainee's output and trainer's input.

I actually don't have my tx in my hands so I can't copy my working config. But believe me: my daughter has flown her first collective pitch Blade Nano today.

More
28 Aug 2013 20:05 #13360 by Xermalk
Id love to get those ini files later, when you have the time.
Im in no hurry as the weather is crap atm.

More
28 Aug 2013 22:45 - 28 Aug 2013 22:49 #13361 by dawsonmobley
Does the "ppm in" section in the ini have to be added and edited outside of the tx gui? That section is not in any of my config files.

Also, Can I transfer a ini from my 8s directly to the 7e without any changes? (aside from the ones you mentioned that is)
Last edit: 28 Aug 2013 22:49 by dawsonmobley.

• rbe2012
More
29 Aug 2013 04:27 #13365 by rbe2012
Xermalk,
I will probably post them in the afternoon.
For now I have created two simple configs where I have configured what is necessary (but can actually test them only in the emulator).
These are for Devo8. I took new models, loaded the 6ch-heli-template and configured PPM:

File Attachment:

File Name: model1_2013-08-28.ini
File Size:2 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: model2_2013-08-28.ini

I had my wife looking into the config of the trainee's model (not easy to get her doing this...) and there is also a value of 1100 (I didn't change it). So this might be correct. I'll do a little bit research on this...

Dawsonmobley, you wrote

Does the "ppm in" section in the ini have to be added and edited outside of the tx gui? That section is not in any of my config files.

No, it is not there until you use PPM (as output protocol or as input). I have configured everything with the gui.

Also, Can I transfer a ini from my 8s directly to the 7e without any changes? (aside from the ones you mentioned that is)

Yes, you can. Some parts will not work correctly: the switches and the gui.
Since the 7e has less switches not every function can be controlled as it is in Devo8. I can hardly test this but I am quite sure that there is some switch mapping (e.g. all AIL/ELE/RUDD DR map to the DR switch, GEAR is mapped to HOLD).
The gui is not transferable, but the model comes up with the default screen so you don't have to care about this.
I have transferred the configs from above for Devo7e emulator:_here is how they changed:

File Attachment:

File Name: model1_201...28-2.ini

File Attachment:

File Name: model2_201...28-2.ini
Attachments:

More
29 Aug 2013 04:31 #13366 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic How to setup double command?

dawsonmobley wrote: Does the "ppm in" section in the ini have to be added and edited outside of the tx gui? That section is not in any of my config files.

It's not implemented in v3.00. You have to use Nightly builds for 'PPM In' feature.

More
31 Aug 2013 02:54 - 31 Aug 2013 02:59 #13401 by dawsonmobley
Ok thanks all for the help btw...I'm still trying to wrap my mind around a lot of this.

I installed the nightly build on both tx's and following the instructions here I was able to change control back and forth using the gear switch but I had a few other questions now.

Before I knew about deviation I used walkeras buddybox setup which switched back and forth using the little +/_ momentary switch to the left of the mix switch on the 8s. I wanted the buddybox switch somewhere I could keep a finger on it without taking my thumbs off the sticks or looking down so I added a micro momentary switch to the front right corner of the 8s and wired it to the above mentioned switch which is walkeras default buddybox switch.... and it worked great, heres the rcgroups thread showing what I did . Is there anyway I can change the buddybox switch in deviation to use that little momentary switch for fliping from trainer to trainee? I honestly don't even know for sure what that switch is used for normally or how to setup to use it or what it's called in the model config.

My other question is about disabling channels. I found it useful to disable the trainees ability to control the yaw and throttle (controll of those channels remained on the trainer tx) so they could focus on ele and ail control. Is it possible to do this with deviation currently and if so, how?
Last edit: 31 Aug 2013 02:59 by dawsonmobley.

More
31 Aug 2013 04:19 #13402 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic How to setup double command?
You can configure a trim to be a toggle switch for a virtual channel, and use that virtual channel as the switch for the trainer mode...

More
01 Sep 2013 03:34 #13435 by dawsonmobley

FDR wrote: You can configure a trim to be a toggle switch for a virtual channel, and use that virtual channel as the switch for the trainer mode...

is there instructions on doing that somewhere...I picked vir1, simple, and under source it lists all the other switches on the tx but no option to select a trim switch as the source?

• rbe2012
More
01 Sep 2013 06:24 - 01 Sep 2013 06:24 #13439 by rbe2012
Last edit: 01 Sep 2013 06:24 by rbe2012.

More
11 Sep 2013 22:20 #13715 by Mario Gosselin
Replied by Mario Gosselin on topic How to setup double command?
I am a new user of deviation

It is possible to make a trainer with devo10(master)deviation 3.0.0 and wk-2801 pro

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds