Devo 8s and gimbal control (potentiometer)

More
07 Oct 2013 09:40 #14300 by Colombus
Hi to everybody.

I am new to this forum and new to Deviation firmware (And relatively new to RC, around 2 years). I've been reading a lot of useful information here.

I have a silly question, I own a Devo 8s and I know that there is not potentiometer to control gimbals. Is there any way to mod Devo 8s to be able to control the tilt of a gimbal?

I've been reading some post but I am a bit confuse with some comments saying that Devo 8s has two high quality gimbals. I am sure it is something different but I just wanted to check with experienced guys here.

I am just modifying my DJI phantom to have it controlled with the Devo 8s but I would love at some point to get a gimbal for video stability and to control the pitch of the camera. Is this something that can be done with Devo 8s or I need to move to Devo10 or higher?

Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2013 09:48 #14301 by FDR

Colombus wrote: I have a silly question, I own a Devo 8s and I know that there is not potentiometer to control gimbals. Is there any way to mod Devo 8s to be able to control the tilt of a gimbal?

As a basic setup, you can use the mix switch for 3 preset gimbal positions.
A more advanced solution is to configure some trim buttons (the upper left or right, or the throttle trims) to form an "analogue" value using a virtual channel, and use that to control the gimbal...

Colombus wrote: I've been reading some post but I am a bit confuse with some comments saying that Devo 8s has two high quality gimbals. I am sure it is something different but I just wanted to check with experienced guys here.

They mean the gimbals of the sticks...

More
07 Oct 2013 10:12 #14302 by Colombus
Replied by Colombus on topic Devo 8s and gimbal control (potentiometer)
Thank you FDR.

I guess the solution to use Mix could work at the beginning but using an analogue value of course would be the best but it sounds not simple. How easy this could, does it imply just software configuration ?

The other options is that I have Fatshart Attitude with headtracker embedded that I've have never used. I guess this could be another option giving for granted that I can make my Devo 8s work with the headtracker, which I research at some point but there was not much information. The stock cable coming from the Fatshark to the controller are for Futaba.

Thank you for the clarification on the gimbals. I see how stupid I was.

More
07 Oct 2013 11:13 - 08 Oct 2013 05:02 #14303 by FDR
To configure the analogue trims is not that big deal:
- go to the trim page and select the first unused one;
- set the input to Virt1;
- set Trim + and Trim - for example to TRIM_L+ and TRIM_L- (the left upper trim button);
- increase the trim step to 1.0;

...then go the the mixer list, and setup a simple mixer with the 1-to-1 function for that channel you plan to use for the gimbal EDIT: with the virtual channel as the source :EDIT, and it's done...

You can use the head tracker too: on the model config page set the PPM In to Extend, and use the appropriate PPMx input as the source for your gimbal channel. It might need to be reversed though...
Last edit: 08 Oct 2013 05:02 by FDR.

More
08 Oct 2013 04:56 #14317 by Colombus
Replied by Colombus on topic Devo 8s and gimbal control (potentiometer)
Tank you for your quick answer. I will try it out and report back.

Mauricio

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds