Strange behaviour after range mod

More
25 Oct 2013 03:29 #14933 by ixlix
Strange behaviour after range mod was created by ixlix
So i got around to doing the range mod. I used solder 'glue' to short the diode without removing it. I am confident that that all went fine however im now getting strange behaviour from the tx.

I get a high pitch whine when i turn on the tx.

Next the main screen only shows the model number, voltage and output. The menus work fine and every setting can be changed no problem.

What should i be looking at or have i toasted the module and need to add a 8S module?

Thanks
Alex

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2013 03:52 #14934 by Daryoon
Replied by Daryoon on topic Strange behaviour after range mod
The sound is from the speaker picking up the amp RF. You have the shield reinstalled?

The strange looking main screen is because you likely installed one of the later nightly firmware.

The main screen GUI got some added feature. So if you're using an older model created before the main screen GUI change, then you'll have to enable the features you're used to seeing. i.e. timer, graphics, trims, stick outputs, etc.

So it sounds like everything is working right so don't be alarmed.

More
25 Oct 2013 04:09 #14936 by ixlix
Replied by ixlix on topic Strange behaviour after range mod
Yeah im pretty sure that i got the shield down properly. I'll try and redo it all.

I did have an issue of it not turning off when i flicked the switch, and had to pull the battery, but that seems to have stopped since i updated to the nightly and replaced the batteries.

I also cant seem to get it to recognise the usb driver now. Doh.

More
25 Oct 2013 04:14 #14938 by Daryoon
I wouldn't worry too much about the noise. If you output at the 10mw. It should be just like before.

I've only has the not turn off issue if I let the battery run too low. Then the Devo7e start to act funny. Like not turning off immediately.

More
26 Oct 2013 13:17 - 26 Oct 2013 13:25 #14997 by ixlix
Okay so i resoldered the rf shield and made sure its perfectly flat. I now have a tx that only turns on for a second or so then truns off, and wont turn on again unless i unplug the internal connector (on pcb board) for the battery. Whine is still there but that may be due to the placement of the antenna cable.

What is the small black thing screwed to the pcb on the right hand side? It seems to have a small shaft that comes out the side. Ive managed to melt the edge of that with the soldering iron and am wondering if thats whats causing my issue?
Last edit: 26 Oct 2013 13:25 by ixlix.

More
27 Oct 2013 01:56 - 27 Oct 2013 01:57 #15021 by ixlix
So ive traced the power issue to a slightly dodgy power switch/connector. I reseated it and seems to stay on now.

My main issue now is the buzzing when the tx is on. I have tried moving the antenna and the speaker around to stop it but it stays on no matter where they are placed. It also doesnt get quieter if i change the output either, just stays the same volume all the time. Its quite loud and quite annoying if i was to use the tx to fly.

Apart from disconnecting the speaker is there anything i can do?

Thanks
Last edit: 27 Oct 2013 01:57 by ixlix.

More
27 Oct 2013 02:12 #15022 by Daryoon
It sounds like something's wrong then. Not the normal sound we're used to hearing if it's that loud and annoying.

Hope something can chime in to help. I am out of ideas.

More
27 Oct 2013 05:53 - 27 Oct 2013 06:16 #15024 by ixlix
Yep something is definitely wrong as the turn on/off issue came back and then a couple of little puffs of smoke came up from the largish silver component (rectangular with round ends) to the left of the module. It still turns on but will turn off within a few seconds. After repeating this a couple of times it wont turn on at all and I have to wait a few minutes to be able to turn it on again.

Video

I dont really have any electronics knowledge so fixing this may be out of my relm unless its just replacing one if the larger components.
Last edit: 27 Oct 2013 06:16 by ixlix.

More
27 Oct 2013 10:10 #15030 by ixlix
Well now she is truly dead. Wont turn on at all. Now i may have dropped her but it was only from a couple of feet. Still no response at all.

What compnents should i be testing to see if the power circuit is fried?

Anything else i can test to find a culprit?

More
27 Oct 2013 10:41 #15032 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Strange behaviour after range mod
Didn't you short something other then the diode?
Try to disconnect the module, at least it's power lines...

More
27 Oct 2013 12:37 #15037 by ixlix
Dont think i shorted anything, i had a good look and made sure it was all clean.

Desoldered the module and still nothing. What is the large silver component left of the module with TKD8.000 written on it?? Im pretty sure that sent up a little puff of smoke shortly before she died for good.

More
27 Oct 2013 13:41 #15045 by FDR
Could you post a picture?
8.000 sounds like a quartz, whitch could be damaged in a drop...

More
27 Oct 2013 21:32 - 27 Oct 2013 23:37 #15059 by ixlix
It now seems to flash the screen for a second when i turn it on but only for a plit second. Seems like the power circuit is damaged. Is the quartz part of the power circuit?

Im pretty sure it was this that gave out a tiniest puff of smoke at one point. I cant work out if the cap circled is burnt from the solding iron or it burnt out. Would it be a potential culprit of no power?

Id love to try and fix this before shelling out for a devo 10.
Last edit: 27 Oct 2013 23:37 by ixlix.

More
28 Oct 2013 05:19 #15066 by FDR
The one on the right is indeed a quartz, whitch can easily get damaged if you drop the tx. However it has nothing to do with the power.

The other on the left is an electrolytic capacitor. It is in the power circuit, but shouldn't fail if there is no overvoltage or significant alternating current through it, which is not probable...
They can be faulty (for example dry) of course...

This is the power circuit of the DEVO 10, it might be similar to yours:
www.deviationtx.com/forum/3-feedback-que...lown-regulator#13746

More
28 Oct 2013 05:58 - 28 Oct 2013 09:48 #15068 by ixlix
Thanks for the help.

I think its maybe just down to a short that has occurred during the two or three times ive taken off the shield and/or when i shorted the diode for the range mod. I dont know enough about electronics to be able to truly troubleshoot it hence all my questions. Ive looked over the board many times and cant see any obvious damage. I do remember one of the last times the lcd came on and showed the voltage it went from around 4.90v up to 6.90ish and back down quickly. Does that shed any light on a problem?

I think this may be a throw away. I know its only a $60 radio but im still annoyed with myself. Doh. Its probably not even worth taking to my local repair place as it would probably be more than $60 just to look at it.

Now maybe i should be asking Devo 10 or 9XR with Orange module? Both will cost me about the same money to get to my door.

Alex
Last edit: 28 Oct 2013 09:48 by ixlix.

More
30 Oct 2013 07:49 - 30 Oct 2013 07:58 #15142 by ixlix
So reading one of the other threads about someone's Devi 10 blowing the npn and pnp trasistors, I'm wondering if it worth a shot to try and replace them. Are the transistors I've circled the transistors from the power circuit?

Ive resoldered fets ontoo a micro heli board before successfully so im not completely afraid of trying but as it stands the 7e is a paper weight as it is.
Last edit: 30 Oct 2013 07:58 by ixlix.

More
30 Oct 2013 11:50 - 30 Oct 2013 11:53 #15143 by SadSack
Replied by SadSack on topic Strange behaviour after range mod
I've put arrows on your picture. You need to short them together and switch on which will buy pass npn/pnp. If it works DON'T!!! use as it is. All it will tell us is PNP/NPN are one of them is duff and there are other things that stop working once you bypass that.
Apologize I haven't don't circuit as yet of Devo7e but if you look for Devo10 circuit its pretty much the same thing, PB did the drawing I don't have link link handy, sorry.

Ps If it all goes horrible wrong blows up and burns down your home...town
Sorry you do this at your own risk :whistle:
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Oct 2013 11:53 by SadSack.

More
01 Nov 2013 02:54 - 02 Nov 2013 04:07 #15181 by ixlix
Shorted the two points at it still won't turn on. I still just get a flicker of light from the LCD but that's it. Does this lead you to any other ideas?

After a really close inspection of the board, i can see a small burn/melt mark on the bottom black part of the crystal. Sorry for the poor photo, cant seem to find my normal camera.

I can get it to go to the firmware update screen by holding down EXT, but i have to let it sit for a while and then plug the battery back in and switch on. If i swtich it on normally a couple of times in a row it wont flash the lcd after about 3 or 4 flicks of the switch. When i plug it into the computer when i have the firmware update screen on, my computer wont recognise the usb device eg it gets a code 10 cannot start error so i cant use the updater.

Last edit: 02 Nov 2013 04:07 by ixlix. Reason: better photos

More
06 Nov 2013 07:53 #15374 by ixlix
Okay so a little bit of progress on this situation. Even though the tx has routinely not been recognised by my computer as in DFU i decided to plug it on today and try it one more time, and wahey! Recgonised. So i reflashed it with 3.0 and all went well. Now i have a tx that turns on and seems to function as per normal BUT now when i turn her off, i cant turn her on again without waiting for a minute or so.

Any thoughts?

Alex

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds