Need help about DEVO 10 can't power up

More
10 Dec 2013 13:59 - 10 Dec 2013 14:05 #16470 by ricksonchow
Need help about DEVO 10 can't power up was created by ricksonchow
I have just flashed the V3 Deviation firmware onto my DEVO 10. I have played around for a couple of hours but it suddenly respond really slow and I tried to turn it off and on again. However after I turned it off I couldn't turn it on again. Just no sound, nothing on screen.

I tried to pull off the battery, replace with new aa, tried to enter the USB mode to reflash the firmware but nothing seems work. After all I open the case up and check if any component is damaged. While I am comparing other DEVO 10 open up photos, I noticed that seems one capacitor is missing. I am not sure if it cause the problem but I could not find that missing cap anywhere in the TX case.

Just like this

My TX

the TX I found on the net
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Dec 2013 14:05 by ricksonchow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2013 14:45 #16474 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Need help about DEVO 10 can't power up
Is it a brand new DEVO 10, or were you already using it for some time with the original fw?

More
10 Dec 2013 14:55 #16477 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Need help about DEVO 10 can't power up
This capacitor missing in all Devo10 Tx.

More
10 Dec 2013 14:58 #16478 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Need help about DEVO 10 can't power up
The cap isn't the issue. I don't have one on my tx either.
A couple things to try:
1) try to enter programming mode after unplugging/replugging the battery pack without turning it on 1st. The on/off switch isn't actually a command, more like a suggestion
2) the most likely issue: your switch is shot. the on/off switches they use in these radios are junk and fail very often. find a paperclip or something and short the middle and outside pins of the switch. If that doesn't work, there is a set of pads (in a rectangle) directly above the 'missing' capacitor. try shorting those together and see if it turns on.
(After each test, make sure you disconnect the power physically)
3) your voltage regulator is shot. use a voltmeter to measure the voltage at the 2 pins above the 'missing' capacitor. you should measure it relative to ground which is the bottom pin of the 'missing' capacitor.
4) something wrong with the CYRF module. Unplug the module from the board and try to boot up into programming mode (normal bootup without the module probably won't work, so you need to make sure it is the 1st thing you do after re-plugging the power

More
10 Dec 2013 14:59 #16479 by PhracturedBlue
By the way, if it is the switch, you can buy exact replacements at RadioShack. I know because I've already fixed 2 radios with bad switches.

More
10 Dec 2013 20:11 - 10 Dec 2013 20:14 #16504 by ricksonchow
Replied by ricksonchow on topic Need help about DEVO 10 can't power up
Thanks everyone's respond about my problem.

The Devo 10 is quite new that it is about only three-days old. I have tried to hover my V120D02S with the stock firmware and everything seems fine.

As I read a lot about the benefits of the Deviation firmware, I decided to flash it onto my TX. After flashing it the TX still works and I can still hover my little heli with it.

Just today while I am playing with the Mixing functions, the TX just make a couple of beeps and responds really slow to my buttons input and dead after I turned it off.

So thanks for all of you confirming about the capacitor, I am trying troubleshoot it. I am following PhracturedBlue's instruction:

1. I tried to dis and re-connect the battery then turn on while pressing the EXT button in order to boot in programming mode, no luck.

2. Then I opened it up, located the on-off switch connector, unplug it and tried to short the pins in the connector on the board to boot it up, tried top-middle, middle-low. No luck at all (every attempt was carried up after dis-reconnect battery)

So now I came to the step of shorting the pads, however I am not sure which pad to short. I don't want to blow my board by shorting wrong things. So would you mind showing me which one to short?
To make it easier I use different colors to identify them

I will get a multimeter to measure the V across the two pins and the ground of the cap pins. Thanks for all again
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Dec 2013 20:14 by ricksonchow.

More
10 Dec 2013 21:06 #16507 by PhracturedBlue
none of those. you want the one directly above the circle (which has no cap in it) to the left of the big resistor (it has a white rectangle around it).
You might want to check the voltage on them 1st if you are unsure (you can check the voltage with the tx off but battery plugged in.

More
11 Dec 2013 12:03 #16525 by ricksonchow
Thanks PhracturedBlue again. Something miracle happened today! After leaving the TX with the battery disconnected for a whole day, the TX powered up again!! To be safe I am going to perform a clean flash again. :cheer:

More
11 Dec 2013 12:43 #16526 by PhracturedBlue
Just FYI, I think it is very unlikely that Deviation is causing the issues you are seeing. Unless you run the output power > 100mW we aren't exercisingthe hardware any differently than the original firmware. I'm not sure where you got your Tx, but it is likely worthwhile to put the original firmware back, and use it for a while to ensure that if you are having a hardware failure you can return your radio. As I've said before, these radios are pretty well built (except for the power circuit), but quality control is not great on them.

More
11 Dec 2013 14:22 #16528 by ricksonchow
I think you are right. Same thing happened to the DEVO 10 again tonight after I re flashed the V3.0 firmware. Luckily I am not flying my heli when it happened. While I am navigating through the menu, the TX suddenly slow down and became very laggy and it turned itself off eventually, and of course I couldn't turn it on afterwards. May be need another day. Sigh...

I will flash it back to the original Walkera firmware for my next start up :oops:

More
12 Dec 2013 16:23 - 12 Dec 2013 16:27 #16547 by ricksonchow
Today I am able to power it up again after 6 hrs of waiting. Then I reflashed the stock fw and lib downloaded from Walkera.

My Tx works for a longer period like for about an hour, however then the TX frozen this time and can't press anything but cut the power.

I decided to open it again and do the Voltage test. I can confirm that the power wiring is working (red - black wire is the battery voltage measure from the plug to the board)

And next I test the on off switch by measuring the resistance between the pins of the plug from the switch. While switch is on, the red and yellow wire is connected and when the switch is off, the black and yellow wire is connected. So I think it the problem is irrelevant to the switch.

And next step I measure the voltage across the pins that you have mentioned. It is 10.8 V between the left pin to the ground of Cap, same as the left pin to the ground. So there is no V different between the left and right pin. Then I shorted them but seems it doesn't do anything.

I removed most of the plugs and the module from the board for further visual inspection. However during the removal of the module , the antenna plug and the antenna cable separated although I treated it with care, also I noticed the module itself is still warm (2 mins after power cut). So I suspected the cable might be broken before I remove the module and caused the module to over heat and the TX shut down.

So obviously I have to reconnect them. But not sure about the connection. Is it a coaxial cable? So the center wire connect to the center pin of the plug and the shield to the outer case of the plug? shall I solder it (it is a bit challenging) or just clamp it back?

For the motherboard, I have noticed there are a few soldering marks, not sure if these related to the TX to frozen.

At last I noticed there are two legs being soldered together on the ARM chip, is it a defect or normal?

Last edit: 12 Dec 2013 16:27 by ricksonchow.

More
12 Dec 2013 17:26 - 12 Dec 2013 17:35 #16549 by FDR
Next time try to operate the tx without the rx RF board.
Do not operate the rf board without the antenna...

EDIT: sorry, it was a typo, I meant RF board...
Last edit: 12 Dec 2013 17:35 by FDR.

More
12 Dec 2013 17:30 #16550 by ricksonchow
Thanks for your reply. I was thinking the same as well. Now I have removed the module from the board to prevent it burn out. But before trying this, I have to wait a couple of hours to let the TX to "Cool down" otherwise can't power it up. I have tried to short the caps after the power disconnected but seems there are other ram that hold the TX up powered by some unknown cap :(

More
12 Dec 2013 17:40 #16551 by FDR
To be honest, I think you have some hw failure elsewhere.
Knowing the deviation fw it really shouldn't just "slow down".
Slowing down could be caused by the time base oscillator of the mcu: there is a really ugly soldering on it's quartz, and the shorted legs can play a role too...

More
12 Dec 2013 17:50 #16552 by PhracturedBlue
The 2 pins of the STM32 chip being shorted is normal. make sure they are actually shorted, I've seen tx that have a much bigger blob of solder connecting them. I haven't ever seen solder markings on the pads you mention. Those are the pads used to re-flash the chip (it enters the chips' service mode). If there are markings there, it indicates the STM32 has likely had the bootloader re-flashed since assembly. I can't tell from your pic what is going on near the crystal (the metal oval above the chip). Is that another solder mark? That might imply the crystal has been replaced as well.

Where did you get your Tx? It definitely appears to have been serviced at some point. Did it have an unbroken seal when you purchased it?

More
12 Dec 2013 17:58 #16553 by ricksonchow
Thanks, I just bought it from some cheap vendors, however I can tell the case is new. I realized about the broken seal after I opened it up so can't tell about the seal. But you know in China these seal can be bought everywhere.

But what make me suspect the main board has been replaced is the condition of the main circuit board. The board has some uneven oxidation marks on them, possibly due to its age (very minor but noticeable, comparing with the PCB of the LCD and the switches). But I have just bought it!! . So may be I am just unlucky about it.

More
12 Dec 2013 18:10 #16554 by PhracturedBlue
Unfortunately it does appear to me to need to be repaired. I'm not sure what options you have. I can't think of any obvious ways that you could detect or repair the issue yourself.

More
12 Dec 2013 19:31 #16561 by ricksonchow
I Think so , now I am able to turn it on again (this time TX module is removed)
But it reacts super slow.... have you seen anything before like this?

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds