Devo6/8/12: 'Standard' icon menu for 'Advanced'?

More
29 Dec 2013 05:32 #17380 by PhracturedBlue
Devo6/8/12: 'Standard' icon menu for 'Advanced'? was created by PhracturedBlue
So, I'm considering using the icon menu from the 'Standard' GUI for the advanced GUI (rather than having the circular menu traversal we have now).

Specifically I mean this:

Though of course it will only have the icons related to the Advanced GUI. I need to make a decision about this quickly, as I'm finalizing the documentation now, and this decision impacts that.

Let me know what you think.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2013 07:54 - 29 Dec 2013 08:01 #17385 by vlad_vy
Why not? But it will be more difficult to distinguish 'Advanced' and 'Standard' GUI, particularly for novice.

Probably, be worth at least to change the title to 'Model menu - Advanced' and 'Model menu - Standard'.

As for me, it is good as is.
Last edit: 29 Dec 2013 08:01 by vlad_vy.

More
29 Dec 2013 10:51 #17390 by FDR
Not much you can use from that menu: the model setup, trims, timers, telemetry, main page config and the not yet on your picture datalog.

All the others are implemented with the mixers or are on the channel setup page.

However you could use them duplicated: the reverses, subtrims, travel adjusts, and even the swash options, but that should be visible only if it is a heli config...

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
29 Dec 2013 11:50 #17392 by rbe2012
It's a good idea to have a similar way of using one gui or the other. This will make the change easier for advanced newbies.
As Vlad mentioned I would clearly state which mode is actually used. And FDR's idea of disabling some of the icons which do not make sense for a particular model type is also a good idea.
Maybe this is the chance to get the plane flyers better integrated since they can not use the standard gui. I would recommend to add some "switch buttons" in the first row where we can choose between heli/atd, heli/adv and plane/adv (with a marker what is actually selected and a 'are you sure'-dialog wen trying to switch) (perhaps with the "load template" button nearby). This will give us the freedom to place different buttons with different pages behind in the rest of the page.
If we go this way we could also add a tx config button on the model menu page to have it all reachable from one page.

More
29 Dec 2013 12:27 - 29 Dec 2013 12:27 #17393 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Devo6/8/12: 'Standard' icon menu for 'Advanced'?
I am not sure I understand correctly, but I don't see the value of a menu system based on the Standard GUI icons unless you change the sub-pages it links to, to support only that menu function/item.

The logic behind Deviation's advance GUI is channel based, not function based as with the Std GUI and Walkera firmware

For instance - If I select Subtrim the proposed "advance" GUI menu page, I would expect a list if all the servo channels and a Subtrim entry for each.

Or do I completely misunderstand what you propose?
Last edit: 29 Dec 2013 12:27 by RandMental.

More
29 Dec 2013 13:24 #17395 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Devo6/8/12: 'Standard' icon menu for 'Advanced'?
I don't think it is valuable to show icons in a disabled state as it would make the Advanced GUI appear less powerful than the Standard one, and would just add confusion. I would also not change any functionality or page definitions over what they are now. I want to just make a small change reusing existing code, and not make any significant changes that will destabilize the codebase this close to release.

All you would get would be a new menu when you pressed the model icon that is similar to the standard-gui menu but with only icons related to the advanced GUI. Notably these:
*Model
*Mixer
*Timer
*Telemetry
*Trim
*Datalog
*Main Layout
(new icons are probably needed for 'Mixer' and 'Datalog') and I'd probably ask FDR to put those together for me.

The upside of this change would be a consistent interface, and faster to get to some pages.

Th downside would be that it is harder to use with physical buttons and takes more presses when using them.

More
29 Dec 2013 13:52 - 29 Dec 2013 13:52 #17397 by vlad_vy
For touch screen it will be the same. To see all 7 'Advanced GUI' pages I need to press 'Next' button 6 times, with new 7 icons it will takes 14 presses.

I think with icons 'Advanced GUI' will be more complicated to navigate. Too few items for navigation.
Last edit: 29 Dec 2013 13:52 by vlad_vy.

More
29 Dec 2013 18:31 #17421 by FDR
There is already a datalog icon checked in your repo.
I will make a mixer icon too, but I've just reinstalled my PC, and cannot find my PS CD...

More
30 Dec 2013 01:55 #17447 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Devo6/8/12: 'Standard' icon menu for 'Advanced'?
Honestly I can't understand half of those icons, and I don't know how you could present the info in a pictorial sense; using text seems a lot clearer and quicker to decipher, unless the user has been using the icons for a while?

More
30 Dec 2013 01:59 #17448 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Devo6/8/12: 'Standard' icon menu for 'Advanced'?
Ok, so I guess it'll stay the way it is for the upcoming release.

More
30 Dec 2013 21:57 #17514 by FDR
PB, don't you want to put the existing datalog icon/function into the simple gui's menu?

More
30 Dec 2013 22:21 #17527 by PhracturedBlue
I'd be amazed to find anyone using the 2 together :)
Anyhow, I just added it. Thanks.

More
08 Jan 2014 17:41 #18232 by Keith5031
Replied by Keith5031 on topic Devo6/8/12: 'Standard' icon menu for 'Advanced'?
I for one would like to have the icons. When I first bought my 8s, I thought the standard GUI was more sophisticated and powerful compared to the advanced one. But I do fly primarily planes, so I know what most of the icons are for and how to use them. That being said, that is why I wouldn't mind seeing the icons to navigate the FW. I can understand icons better than the language used to explain what each menu is for and how to navigate and figure out what I want to do. But that's just me and my 2 cents. Either way you guys go will be great for me, this FW upgrade is why I purchased the 8s. Same reason my first Tx was a Flysky 9x, that I immediately modded upon receiving. I don't care for the Tx's out there that cannot be upgrade or modded in the direction the user prefers. Being lockrd into a certain protocol and method to use without being able to further the power of the Tx by modding the FW or HW/FW just isn't for me. Moving forward, fixing, adding and improving the Tx in either the FW or HW and FW just allows the user to be more gratified in this great hobby. Sorry for all my rambling, I just really like Deviation and what it has done for what would be just another Tx in the world of typical Tx's.

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds