Devo 7e Deviation problems

More
19 Feb 2014 22:39 #20617 by norris
Devo 7e Deviation problems was created by norris
When I power up I have the a “Bad /missing protocol modules” message alongside a “ch1 is 1%, safe -100% ( I guess this is just needs changing in channel configuration settings?).
I have changed the protocol to DSM2 but it doesn’t bind to my MCPX, can anyone help resolve the issue?
Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2014 09:24 #20641 by linux-user
Replied by linux-user on topic Devo 7e Deviation problems

norris wrote: When I power up I have the a “Bad /missing protocol modules” message

Sounds there is something wrong with the modules folder.
You have read read the deviationtx.com/user-manual ?
Chapter 2 and especially chapter 2.2 "Note for Devo7e owners only"

More
21 Feb 2014 00:09 #20672 by norris
Replied by norris on topic Devo 7e Deviation problems
I will try and re-load the software as I originally copied all protocols. If that fails I will give up the idea of using the Devo 7 for my various helicopters and bin it!

More
21 Feb 2014 04:26 #20681 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Devo 7e Deviation problems

norris wrote: I will try and re-load the software as I originally copied all protocols. If that fails I will give up the idea of using the Devo 7 for my various helicopters and bin it!

Just so you know, reading the manual is very important. Do it.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

More
21 Feb 2014 20:49 - 21 Feb 2014 20:50 #20716 by norris
I asked for genuine help as the user’s manual does not have a trouble shooting guide.
I have managed to sort it out but not entirely. I think the problem is due to the protocols.
The last file to be down loaded was the protocol file which froze still having four items left to down load. After 40 minutes of “five seconds are remaining” I intervened (I can’t find anything in the manual regarding this problem).
Last edit: 21 Feb 2014 20:50 by norris.

More
21 Feb 2014 23:08 - 21 Feb 2014 23:08 #20718 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic Devo 7e Deviation problems
because that is not a deviation problem, that is a pebkac error! you stopped the file transfer before it was complete and you wonder why it's complaining about missing files?

the more likely issue is that you are copying everything from the zip onto the 7e usb drive and there isn't space for it all there, go re-read the manual on page 8 about what you actually need to copy across to the 7e usb drive, as not everything in the zip file goes onto it ;)
Last edit: 21 Feb 2014 23:08 by HappyHarry.

More
22 Feb 2014 04:33 #20726 by ztech
Replied by ztech on topic Devo 7e Deviation problems
It should take no longer than 1 min to transfer the files. You did format the 7E's drive with the default options?
There is very limited space on the 7E, you have to delete the .dfu file as well as the debug .zip file or everything else won't fit and the transfer will hang near the end. Other than that you could have a problem with your computers USB - just throwing things out there.

Your second error will happen when the left stick is not fully down when powering up.

More
23 Feb 2014 01:59 #20774 by norris
The drive was formatted and I didn’t down load the dfu file or the zip file!
I know it says that you need not copy the zip or dfu file and therefore I didn’t.
It had frozen for a good 40 minutes and was never going to load those four files/items remaining.
There are no error messages as yet on the Devo 7e display screen!
I did previously try to down load each file separately and my computer froze on loading the protocol file.

More
23 Feb 2014 17:29 #20794 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic Devo 7e Deviation problems
there are 16 protocol files, which one is failing?

More
23 Feb 2014 22:15 #20811 by norris

HappyHarry wrote: there are 16 protocol files, which one is failing?

No idea, how do I find that out?
What page is that on in the manual?
Thanks.

More
23 Feb 2014 22:45 - 23 Feb 2014 22:46 #20812 by stringrazor
Replied by stringrazor on topic Devo 7e Deviation problems
I finally upgraded my 7e to Deviation yesterday and did my friend's 7e today. Everything went exactly as layed-out in the manual both times and took about 10 minutes. I'd suggest instead of trying to figure out what is wrong, reload Devention 2.0 and run the Deviation upgrade procedure again.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2014 22:46 by stringrazor.

More
23 Feb 2014 23:00 - 24 Feb 2014 08:50 #20813 by linux-user
Replied by linux-user on topic Devo 7e Deviation problems
Hi norris,

I would suggest to start from the beginning (sort of).
- download deviation again, just to make sure your files are ok.
- Switch your TX into USB-mode (ENT + power on)
- format the USB-drive with the defaults from Windows.
- copy all necessary files except the "\protocols" folder
- create new folder "protocols" on your TX
- click "save remove Hardware" in Windows
- switch off TX
- Switch your TX into USB-mode (ENT + power on) again.
- copy the *.mod files into the "protocols" folder; one after the other.
- at the end: click "save remove Hardware" in Windows
- switch off TX
- switch on TX (now normal)

Which step is failing?

edit:
stringrazor is right, start from the beginning (totally)
Last edit: 24 Feb 2014 08:50 by linux-user.

More
24 Feb 2014 21:56 - 24 Feb 2014 21:57 #20841 by norris
Well I have loaded the software at least ten times now and it has loaded only twice.

After the first semi- successful download with the errors I have deleted all associated files on my computer and formatted my Devo 7e ( at each attempt), yet it has only semi downloaded once more after a number of attempts.

I will give it another try sometime but I have other and better things to do at the moment.

I’m just going to fly my Blade MCX 300 and see what happens.

As well as the manual, videos are helpful but most people take it for granted you haven’t made use of either. I don’t think I would have two degrees today if I wasn’t capable of reading. Yes proper university degrees not those American degrees you can buy off eBay for a fiver.

All of your sensible suggestions are most welcomed.

Thanks.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2014 21:57 by norris.

More
25 Feb 2014 02:46 #20847 by stringrazor
Replied by stringrazor on topic Devo 7e Deviation problems
Taking your 2 degrees into account <VBG>, let's assume YOU did everything correctly. That leaves a hardware or software problem. Have you tried to do the procedure from another computer, with another USB cable, with a fresh download of all files? The fact that the DL is taking a long time suggests a problem with one of those components.

More
04 Mar 2014 23:42 #21208 by norris
I found certain replies arrogant and condescending.
I do not have another computer that I could try to download the software.
I have tried again but still had problems with downloading the protocol, there’s something in it that my computer doesn’t like.
I guess that stringrazor is correct on his diagnosis.
Thanks.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
05 Mar 2014 15:35 #21252 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Devo 7e Deviation problems

norris wrote: I asked for genuine help as the user’s manual does not have a trouble shooting guide.
I have managed to sort it out but not entirely. I think the problem is due to the protocols.
The last file to be down loaded was the protocol file which froze still having four items left to down load. After 40 minutes of “five seconds are remaining” I intervened (I can’t find anything in the manual regarding this problem).

I can understand that you feel frustrated encountering problems and nothing what was proposed here does make it better. But I see 5 users here who try to give you hints. I have read the posts again and can not see why you complain about arrogance.

I also read shortly about your problem but your description seemed to be incomplete to me. All the time I expected you have problems with the download (which leads to the assumption that your internet connection could be affected), but when I read the above again I think you have problems writing some files to the USB device the Devo7e offers when deviation is installed.
Ok, I was on the wrong track.
So tell us some more details. Which size does the USB drive have (what tells Windows)? How do you format it (which file system and which block size)? Maybe there is something wrong with your Devo7e.
Are you able to write any files to the USB drive until it is completely filled? Or does it behave as you described above?
Have you checked that you generated the correct folder structure?

The manual is a manual, not a trouble shooting guide where every possible issue is described. There are only the common mistakes included which are often made by new users and which lead to many questions in the forum. So you will not find solutions for problems in the manual which never occurred before.

And: please be assured, we all have better things to do than to spent our free time for answering questions of other flyers (instead of building and flying and having fun). But we try our best to make everyone happy with deviation.

More
06 Mar 2014 00:08 #21274 by norris

rbe2012 wrote:

norris wrote: I asked for genuine help as the user’s manual does not have a trouble shooting guide.

I can understand that you feel frustrated encountering problems and nothing what was proposed here does make it better. But I see 5 users here who try to give you hints. I have read the posts again and can not see why you complain about arrogance.

I also read shortly about your problem but your description seemed to be incomplete to me. All the time I expected you have problems with the download (which leads to the assumption that your internet connection could be affected), but when I read the above again I think you have problems writing some files to the USB device the Devo7e offers when deviation is installed.
Ok, I was on the wrong track.
So tell us some more details. Which size does the USB drive have (what tells Windows)? How do you format it (which file system and which block size)? Maybe there is something wrong with your Devo7e.
Are you able to write any files to the USB drive until it is completely filled? Or does it behave as you described above?
Have you checked that you generated the correct folder structure?

The manual is a manual, not a trouble shooting guide where every possible issue is described. There are only the common mistakes included which are often made by new users and which lead to many questions in the forum. So you will not find solutions for problems in the manual which never occurred before.

And: please be assured, we all have better things to do than to spent our free time for answering questions of other flyers (instead of building and flying and having fun). But we try our best to make everyone happy with deviation.

Yes there are five users that have given good advice which I’m very thankful for.
I will give it another try and will answer your question if I can.
There has been no “Windows” message displayed.
The Devo 7e seems to fly my Blade 300 Mcx without issues and I no longer have any error messages on the transmitter.
Going through the menu seems to be fine without issues.
Thanks.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds