DEVO 7E ROM limitation reached soon ?

More
03 Mar 2014 09:10 #21131 by SeByDocKy
DEVO 7E ROM limitation reached soon ? was created by SeByDocKy
Hi,

With the incredible work of all gurus here, more and more protocols will be soon or later added. The actual size of the DEVO7E's ROM is very close to its limit. Can we be afraid that probably not all new protocols won' be added for devo 7E ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2014 12:59 #21140 by IMback!
Replied by IMback! on topic DEVO 7E ROM limitation reached soon ?
protocols are at no risk as they are modular and not in Rom. all other new features are at risk

More
03 Mar 2014 16:51 - 03 Mar 2014 16:51 #21146 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic DEVO 7E ROM limitation reached soon ?
As IMBack! says, protocols are modules and can be omitted is not needed. If and when a new protocol is finished and released the D7 shouldn't have an issue. It will start having issues is more features are added, and then you will need to kindly ask HappyHarry to build with a subset, leaving behind the features you don't use.
Last edit: 03 Mar 2014 16:51 by WheresWaldo.

More
04 Mar 2014 23:33 #21207 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic DEVO 7E ROM limitation reached soon ?
Or solder a beefier MCU (not for beginners, but doable) and ask PhracturedBlue to make a custom build for Devo 7e with larger ROM.

More
05 Mar 2014 07:11 #21227 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic DEVO 7E ROM limitation reached soon ?
Or just compile a custom build without standard gui and telemetry, and you're on the 109kb ballpark.

My old deviation-devo7e-v4.0.1-38060a0_NoSTGUI_NoTEL_HasLAYOUT-ED_HasPERM-TIMER_1-3pos_SW build had that size.

More
05 Mar 2014 07:28 #21228 by SeByDocKy
Replied by SeByDocKy on topic DEVO 7E ROM limitation reached soon ?
I think I will order soon a devo 10 :) even if I like my devo 7E very much for his compact size....

More
05 Mar 2014 08:42 #21232 by Khan
Replied by Khan on topic DEVO 7E ROM limitation reached soon ?
What we might need soon is a "wizard-style" custom compiler that would allow you to select what functions you want and compile the build for people like me, having no experience with compiling and such... :whistle:

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
05 Mar 2014 15:41 #21253 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic DEVO 7E ROM limitation reached soon ?
This should be possible with some directives in the makefile where you can set variables as it is actually done with HGVERSION. Depending on those parameters (with a given default when missing) the "#define HAS_..." in the code (target_defs.h) should be set or not. This way you could set flags in the command line while compiling without changing the code.
It needs just a volunteer who implements this (and convince PB of its usefulness, but we could help there)...

More
05 Mar 2014 16:51 #21260 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic DEVO 7E ROM limitation reached soon ?
It worked like this sometime ago, but then PB moved it all into this def file and disabled command line parameters for some reason. I forgot the reason but there was one.

More
05 Mar 2014 19:33 #21262 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic DEVO 7E ROM limitation reached soon ?
the reason for the target_defs.h is exactly this. It was specifically enhanced due to a request to build such a script (which then never materialized)

If you can develop a script to choose parameters, updating this file should be easy. It has a benefit over makefile args in that re-compilation will work properly, and you don't need to wonder what parameters were used last time you compiled.

More
05 Mar 2014 20:26 #21263 by IMback!
Replied by IMback! on topic DEVO 7E ROM limitation reached soon ?

PhracturedBlue wrote: If you can develop a script to choose parameters, updating this file should be easy. It has a benefit over makefile args in that re-compilation will work properly, and you don't need to wonder what parameters were used last time you compiled.

Witch is exacly what i planed to do. I started on it but I have not had the time so far to finnish it.

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds