V252 "Pro" different protocol?

More
28 Mar 2014 00:14 #21901 by marcoose
V252 "Pro" different protocol? was created by marcoose
Ugh... I just received the WL Toys V252 I ordered (Hubsan X4 clone with transparent body and lights) to fly at night.

They have been hard to come by as I guess Hubsan has been filing injunctions and stopping their sale everywhere. Anyhow, the one that arrived is a brand new "Pro" version that is much uglier looking, and only lights up a little on the bottom -- top is solid metallic paint. It has some cheesy pinwheels for feet. Looks like this:
V252

Anyhow, I thought perhaps all is not lost if I can order a new body shell for it somewhere so I figured I would fire it up quickly. It does not bind.

I tried the RTF tx it came with and it does bind automatically after about 10 extremely piercing annoying beeps (no usual throttle up/down). I'm wondering if they changed the protocol in this revised v2xx model to something else :unsure: Has anybody else tried one?

Definitely not interested if I have to install another module just for this... everything else I have is Walkera or nrf24L01.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2014 05:43 #21902 by SeByDocKy
Replied by SeByDocKy on topic V252 "Pro" different protocol?

marcoose wrote: Ugh... I just received the WL Toys V252 I ordered (Hubsan X4 clone with transparent body and lights) to fly at night.

They have been hard to come by as I guess Hubsan has been filing injunctions and stopping their sale everywhere. Anyhow, the one that arrived is a brand new "Pro" version that is much uglier looking, and only lights up a little on the bottom -- top is solid metallic paint. It has some cheesy pinwheels for feet. Looks like this:
V252

Anyhow, I thought perhaps all is not lost if I can order a new body shell for it somewhere so I figured I would fire it up quickly. It does not bind.

I tried the RTF tx it came with and it does bind automatically after about 10 extremely piercing annoying beeps (no usual throttle up/down). I'm wondering if they changed the protocol in this revised v2xx model to something else :unsure: Has anybody else tried one?

Definitely not interested if I have to install another module just for this... everything else I have is Walkera or nrf24L01.

Do you have your nRF24L01 module isntalled in your devo ?

More
01 Apr 2014 01:19 #21985 by marcoose
Replied by marcoose on topic V252 "Pro" different protocol?
Yes indeed :P My V222 and JXD 385 both work great with Devo 10.

I seems like this "V252 Pro" is a pretty big overhaul if they changed the board. I wouldn't have thought the RX/protocol would be an issue as much as changing the physical appearance if it is because of Hubsan lawsuits. Just adding the spinner feet doesn't seem like it completely sets it apart.

I gave my 911 away as it wasn't my cup of tea, but now that I think of it the remote and beeping is reminiscent of that.

More
01 Apr 2014 02:41 #21987 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic V252 "Pro" different protocol?
take some pics of the Rx board, and if you feel like it open the Tx and take some pics of that too. At least it'll tell us what we're dealing with here.

More
01 Apr 2014 06:25 #21990 by SeByDocKy
Maybe they are using their new "KN" protocol as well as for their new Power star helis.... Yes Wltoys have a fourth new protocol :( but it's surprizing for me they used it for the V252 pro. For example, for the new incoming V323, it's still using the "V2x2... Well it's clear that WLtoys are completly illogical :)

After FlySky, HiSky, "V2x2"<=> "LG", i.e. the name of their rx board designer subcontracter, the new compagny acronym used to design their new protocol is KN. The good news it's still based on nRF24L01 architecture (in practice more a BK2423).

More
01 Apr 2014 13:13 #21998 by PhracturedBlue
The funny thing with WLToys is that they knew a lot of folks were buying their 911 because it would work with a Turnigy. When they switched to the nrf chips, it made little sense unless they were rebadging someone else's design. Nowadays, I guess they just don't care, they are more of a 'Toy' company than an 'RC' company, and the concept of having a stable platform seems not to be interesting to them. I've always thought it was too bad. They were a disruptive force in the market, and there is definitely room for a low cost but reasonable-quality player. Being able to back that with a spare-parts catalog and having distributors stock it is a big win over other 'Toys'

More
01 Apr 2014 13:50 #21999 by cmpang
Replied by cmpang on topic V252 "Pro" different protocol?
yes what a short sight they are. They have just let go a golden chance to build up a standard “WL” protocol to lead the toy industry along with the then huge success of their 911

More
04 Apr 2014 23:50 #22133 by marcoose
Well it seems like they want it to be a secret...

The RX board has 3 chips on it... one is the Inversense 6-axis gyro, one is completely potted in black like a $2 calculator (the one closest to antenna which I am guessing is RF chip), and on the other side is the main MCU which has had the markings precision ground off (looks sandblasted except for the 'dot' at pin 1).

It has ABE-JRWL252-6R written on it. The TX might shed some more light but I haven't taken it out of the packaging... hoping to return it for a refund so I'm waiting to hear what my seller is going to do. They seem to think everything is A-ok since I bought a V252 and that is what showed up, despite the listing baring no resemblance to what I received other than size and model number.

More
05 Apr 2014 02:41 #22137 by PhracturedBlue
can you take a pic of the board? even with the potted transceiver, it is often possible to identify by sight based on the wires connected to it.

More
05 Apr 2014 07:00 #22140 by SeByDocKy
There are some rumors that some new models of Wltoys will return to FlySky protocol.
@marcoose, do you have a A7105 installed in order to test with FlySky ?

More
05 Apr 2014 14:20 #22148 by marcoose
I don't, but I will see if I can borrow the 911 remote back and try it out. I was hoping to get away without another module as I'm pretty happy with the selection of models for NRF and built-in, but if anything the A7105 is probably the other one I would add

Or switch to the new super-universal module :woohoo:

More
18 May 2014 07:04 #23312 by anarchy
Replied by anarchy on topic V252 "Pro" different protocol?
I have the a 7105 and got same quad blue guy spinners whole 9 yards but had bumper to striped that stripped feet and tried to Bing with flysky protocol hubs an protocol both no go or not using a step properly

More
27 May 2014 16:46 #23697 by anarchy
I opened the TX here is best pics I could take help me if you can
Attachments:

More
27 May 2014 17:00 #23703 by anarchy
ABE-2.4GPA-3A is on the back of chip having trouble uploading the photos

More
27 May 2014 17:57 #23706 by PhracturedBlue
With a CE, CSN, and IRQ pin, it is almost certainly an NRF24L01 chip.

More
27 May 2014 19:18 #23709 by PhracturedBlue
FYI, anarchy had issues posting pics, so here is a higher quality image he took that makes the traces visible:

Attachments:

More
27 May 2014 20:12 #23711 by SeByDocKy
ABE compagny .... smell it will be compatible with the Sky Walkr protocol.
The same compagny actually are making the RF part for the last JXD quads (389, 390, 391, 393). The Sky Wlkr protocol is also compatible with the Cheerson CX-10 and CX-11 (probably the CX-30 too).

For the Sky Walkr protocol, the flipping channel is not (yet) working. I can sniff SPI log for identifying it if HexFet is reading this message

More
27 May 2014 20:23 #23713 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic V252 "Pro" different protocol?
VDD_PA circuit is also suspiciously close to nRF24L01.

More
28 May 2014 00:27 #23716 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic V252 "Pro" different protocol?

SeByDocKy wrote: For the Sky Walkr protocol, the flipping channel is not (yet) working. I can sniff SPI log for identifying it if HexFet is reading this message

Sure. The SkyWalkr option still has the YD717 flip control on channel 5. If that's not working, if you can get a trace of using the flip control it should be possible to add the function.

What model will you use to get the trace? Might not be the same data for different models.

More
28 May 2014 05:09 #23721 by SeByDocKy

hexfet wrote:

SeByDocKy wrote: For the Sky Walkr protocol, the flipping channel is not (yet) working. I can sniff SPI log for identifying it if HexFet is reading this message

Sure. The SkyWalkr option still has the YD717 flip control on channel 5. If that's not working, if you can get a trace of using the flip control it should be possible to add the function.

What model will you use to get the trace? Might not be the same data for different models.

Well I will try to capture for new JXDs. I know there will be also a Sixth channel (turn on/off lights) and maybe a seven one (turn on/off camera).

For the CX-11, the RFchip is directly on the main board.... means pitch between pins is 0.1mm so for me almost inpossible to solder wires as probe.
Hope channels are common with all these models. It's amazing how "ABE" compagny recently provided for all these toy quad the RF part.

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds