Devo8 USBHID USB port in an awful position!

More
31 Mar 2014 19:08 - 31 Mar 2014 19:10 #21978 by DarioP
Congrats for the software, I think is a big improvement wrt the original Walkera firmware! In the weekend I managed to fly my Mini CP. I also tried the USBHID mode with HELI-X and it was again a success. However due to the placement of the USB port, I cannot hold my Devo8 properly when the cable is attached. I cannot believe that for such a stupid issue the USBHID mode which is so usefull, is practically not usable. Am I missing something? Is there an easy walk around?

Thanks for the attention!
Last edit: 31 Mar 2014 19:10 by DarioP.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2014 19:30 #21979 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Devo8 USBHID USB port in an awful position!
The Devo8 was never meant to be used as an HID controller. You can try
getting a right-angled mini-usb connector. I haven't tried this and don't know if it will fit. Or just use PPM out.
The Devo10 has the USB port on the back which makes it more convenient for USBHID.

More
01 Apr 2014 07:03 #21992 by DarioP
Replied by DarioP on topic Devo8 USBHID USB port in an awful position!
Yes, I realised that the Devo10 has the USB port in a much better position. I purchased the Devo8 following the advice I found in this site's FAQ, now I'm regretting it a bit :dry:

However I will try with the PPM, I have the male-male audio cable which came with the radio, if I understood correctly I have to plug it into the pc microphone port. I'm worried that it will not be as easy as with the USBHID protocol, but let's see!

More
13 May 2014 07:06 #23176 by DarioP
I tested the ppm mode through the sound card but I was getting some hysteresis and it was not accurate enough to fly on the sim. So I finally decided to go for the angled usb connector. Since the usb port is mounted upside down, the correct one for the Devo8 is the LEFT-ANGLED MINI usb.

It fits very well and the transmitter can be held properly and with almost no discomfort from the cable. And of course the set up is much easier and its way more precise than the ppm.

Here are few pics: imgur.com/a/wh4Oc#0

More
11 Jun 2014 14:30 #24037 by SadSack

More
11 Jun 2014 15:42 #24039 by DarioP

SadSack wrote: why use a cable...

Because the pc doesn't fly.

Where I can have a cheap, simple and reliable cable, I don't want anything else. That's a nice exercise, but useless in my opinion.

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds