2801 Pro TX to DSM2?

More
01 Aug 2014 01:55 #24940 by Tattooface
2801 Pro TX to DSM2? was created by Tattooface
Hey Guys/Gals,

Been out of RC for about 4 years. I want to make a come back into quads. I have a Walkera 2801 Pro TX from back when I was flying CB100's, V120's, and a 4G6.

My question is; Can I mod/convert my TX to DSM2 to use the cheap Orange RX receivers?

Thank you for your time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2014 05:37 - 01 Aug 2014 05:39 #24941 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic 2801 Pro TX to DSM2?
Short answers, no.

Long one, yes if you are willing to change the motherboard and do some complicated things with the software.

I was set to do the same, sadsack did some work on it, but for lack of time and skills I decided to use it with my simulator.

You better of buying a new transmitter if you want dsm2 compatibility, if you only fly parkflyers a devo 7E with the diode mode would be enough.

If you want the all shebang a devo 10 whit some modules will open to you a all new realm.

By the way, you don't need any additional modules to have dsm2/X, devo, legacy walkera protocols compatibility whit the devo line, just flash the deviation software and off you go.
Last edit: 01 Aug 2014 05:39 by blackmoon.

More
01 Aug 2014 14:39 - 01 Aug 2014 15:48 #24948 by Tattooface
Replied by Tattooface on topic 2801 Pro TX to DSM2?
BlackMoon,

Thank you for your reply. I ran across this;

www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__4020...nsmitter_Module.html

Anything to good to be true, probably isnt. I had a little hope to be able to reuse the 2801 when I saw that.

I will look at getting a new system. Pardon me if I am not looking to spend money with Walkera.
Last edit: 01 Aug 2014 15:48 by Tattooface.

More
01 Aug 2014 16:12 #24950 by blackmoon
Yes you could use that with your 2801, it's an "economical" way of having dsm2 compatibility.

And I can understand your point of view, anyway I hope you get it sorted out :D

More
01 Aug 2014 16:18 #24951 by Tattooface

blackmoon wrote: Yes you could use that with your 2801, it's an "economical" way of having dsm2 compatibility.

And I can understand your point of view, anyway I hope you get it sorted out :D

Really? That would be awesome vs. buying a new TX.

By any chance, would you know where the PPM connection point is? Would I just de-solder the area the current antenna goes into, and solder the new module ppm there?

I am figuring the two power (+,-) wont be hard to tap into (Solder).

Thank You for your help! I really appreciate it.

More
01 Aug 2014 23:40 #24961 by blackmoon
No don't do that!

The PPM stream is on the DSC port on the back of the TX, you can take it on the inside to solder you module there, but you'll need to know where you have the signal and where the GND is.

I'll try to find some pictures (now it's a little late 2am, I have to hit the sack) of the inside, in the meantime someone else could chime in and point to it.

Try to PM sadsack, if not mistaken he was working on a 2801 for a friend.

More
02 Aug 2014 00:14 #24962 by Tattooface
BlackMoon,

Get some sleep, and take your time. I am guessing it will be a couple weeks before the actual project. Payday next week, and shipping from China to US. I am looking forward to this project.

More
03 Aug 2014 21:40 - 03 Aug 2014 21:42 #25002 by blackmoon
Tattoo I found a thread on a German forum explaining how to connect an Assan module to a 2801, it's the same thing for the Spek module you linked to, hope it helps.

Use some translation online : 2801 + assan module
Last edit: 03 Aug 2014 21:42 by blackmoon.

More
03 Aug 2014 23:36 #25005 by Tattooface
BlackMoon,

Thanks for the link. Maybe you can help me with understanding the translation.

My understanding;
On the audio jack port (For simulation cable) on the 2801, the PPM signal comes through the Tip of the plug. So if that is true? I would tie the PPM signal from the module into that connection on the inside of the TX. Power (+,-) ties in wherever is convenient.

More
04 Aug 2014 06:36 #25011 by blackmoon
It's the more logical place to have the ppm stream on.

The only thing is, I think the ppm signal only is present if something is plugged in the jack. So only connecting to that point in the inside won't give you a ppm, you have to lure the TX to "think" it has something plugged in..

Maybe just a plug on the jack would suffice, or bridging two pins in the connector, if not mistaken the DSC connector inside the TX has four wires, but that is a question for someone that knows more than me.

More
04 Aug 2014 17:00 #25015 by Tattooface
I think its coming together in my head.

So the 2801 Pro uses a 3.5 Mono plug for Buddy/Sim use (PC in). Mono Plugs have the PPM on the tip, and the outer shield is a ground.

For hooking up a buddy system you plug the cord into the TX and the TX recognizes a PC Link (Walkera 2801 Manual).

My Plan is to make a Mono Plug from the PPM signal cord on the Module to the tip of the mono plug. I can tie the outer shield to any ground. Splice the power for the module in wherever is convenient.

If this works. Mono plug, plugged in, means DSM2 TX. Unplugged and I am running Walkera 2801, 2406, etc. for the birds I still have.

This sounds almost to easy? Could it be this easy? Am I missing something?

More
05 Aug 2014 11:35 #25028 by blackmoon
I think it would work... but as always... Try not, do or do not, there is no try :p

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds