Fresh Install has Blank White Screen on Reboot? (Dev7e)

More
17 Sep 2014 17:52 - 17 Sep 2014 17:56 #25702 by kfinisterre
I went through the exercise of teaching 12 people simultaneously how to install DeviationTX on the Devo 7e. Two people stumped me during the exercise as they had blank white startup screens.

We flashed Walkera default firmware over and over... to no avail. No matter how many times we tried to flash DeviationTX (after restoring stock) we were unable to see the splash screen.

In the end it turns out that the students turned off the controller just after formatting the drive. Because the drive was already formatted, subsequent installs never asked.

Since the default setting on the radios is to have USB disabled... reconnecting the Devo7 upon reboot did NOT show a USB drive attached to their computers.

They were seemingly dead in the water with a blank white screen, unless we went back to stock firmware. (which was NOT what we wanted, we wanted DeviationTX!)

After some fussing around I figured out that the problem was they failed to copy the config files over properly (did not occur at all). As such there was nothing to display on the screen.
:angry:

The work around was to press ENT and continue to use the menus as if you were able to see, navigate to the USB settings, enable the USB drive, (wait for the drive to show up on your computer), then copy the config files and reboot.

Hopefully this helps someone else out!

Perhaps there can be a check in the firmware for a blank disk or missing config files? Maybe some better warning or indication that you have messed up can be created.

Additionally I think the User Manual should include BIG RED LETTERS reminding folks NOT to do this.

:unsure:
Last edit: 17 Sep 2014 17:56 by kfinisterre.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.029 seconds