Devo 10 for a newbie

More
10 Oct 2014 12:44 #26027 by racer_hh
Devo 10 for a newbie was created by racer_hh
Hi,

I have re-activated the RC flight hobby and need a new radio for quadcopters. I started with a Blade Nano QX but will sooner or later upgrade to an outdoor quadcopter. To be honest I am not sure what radio I should buy. I am interested in the Devo 10 (Walkera / Deviation) or a Spektrum DX6 v2. I know that this is the deviation forum, but I want to get your opinion. I read that the Devo 10 with deviation firmware can handle differnt protocols incl. DSM/DSMX. That sounds brilliant in my eyes. But it seems complicated to bind and configure the setup. I do not have a buddy who can help me.

Your feedback is appreciated
racer_hh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2014 17:35 #26028 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Devo 10 for a newbie
As someone else pointed out, if you struggle with a new phone, computer or TV, you'll struggle with Deviation.

If you're a tech head, you'll feel right at home.

Other than that, I absolutely love Deviation (and my Devo10). It's not harder to use than any other firmware out there, it's just different (and more powerful than most). Granted, not everyone needs the flexibility, but for me it's essentials, I couldn't go back to anything else. That and the multi protocol support.

That being said, the forum is filled with info, we're friendly and there's a manual. Before reaching any decision, take a look around.

PS: regardless of what you choose, it's gonna help you tremendously if you learn some RC general terms, acronyms, etc.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

More
10 Oct 2014 17:59 #26029 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic Devo 10 for a newbie
Come on man, a learning phase is everywhere. The documentation of Deviation is very good.
End of last year I reactivated this hobby the third time, now with helicopter, quad and 2.4 GHz.
The feature of multi protocol and the open source firmware was the reason.

For years I went with Futaba and they left me without a firmware update, started
a new product line. So think twice.

BTW, are you from Germany, I mean this "_hh"?

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02

More
12 Oct 2014 08:32 #26047 by racer_hh
Replied by racer_hh on topic Devo 10 for a newbie
Thanks for your feedback.
@aMax: You are correct I am from Hamburg Germany.

But let me aks one more thing. How is the quality of an Devo 10 radio?
I read one article where people mentioned that they do not trust the walkera radio especially if the copter is expensive. What is your experience?

I know fron the rc buggy scene that a lot of people have as well connection issues with their Spetrum device using DSM2 - Quality is not always a matter of price.

Thx
Racer_hh

More
12 Oct 2014 09:17 - 12 Oct 2014 09:28 #26049 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic Devo 10 for a newbie
Devo has its own Walkera protocol and is not simply DSM2. This is an additional feature that comes with Deviation.
As far as it concerns Devo 10, I can not tell you, I only have a 7e and
that one is a good tx. All mods done and not any issue so far.

Where did you read abaut the weakness of the Walkera radios, german
forums? They hate all what is not mainstream and/or going with the big players. No innovation at all. That is the reason I left them.

A typical example you can read her....
www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-disc...of-deviationtx#25333

To understand what was going on, you must read the part in the german forum too.

BTW, I lived in HH for several years.... :-)

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02
Last edit: 12 Oct 2014 09:28 by aMax. Reason: adding some lines.

More
12 Oct 2014 10:50 #26051 by Rand__
Replied by Rand__ on topic Devo 10 for a newbie

aMax wrote: Where did you read abaut the weakness of the Walkera radios, german
forums?

I assume its this one , at least thats one worrying me;)

More
12 Oct 2014 19:31 - 12 Oct 2014 19:33 #26059 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Devo 10 for a newbie

racer_hh wrote: But let me aks one more thing. How is the quality of an Devo 10 radio?

They're decent given the price. Do not compare and expect quality of a $1000 radio because it's simply not there. They don't have the best quality switches or gimbals, power switch is known to be weak (easy to repair though), power supply circuit is designed with very low tolerance for overvoltage.

That being said, I've been using my Devo 10 quite a while now (~2 years) with no issues. I do tend to take good care of my things though so it wasn't in any rough situation yet (one single drop that broke a switch, no over 12V lipos in; I do have a Lipo in but with a diode in series).

I fly everything I have with it, mostly DSM2, DSMX and Devo but also some FrSky (line of sight, no long rage).

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire
Last edit: 12 Oct 2014 19:33 by sbstnp.

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds