Devo 6s, 8s or 10 what's your meaning

More
20 Oct 2014 20:38 #26115 by HrSumsemann
Devo 6s, 8s or 10 what's your meaning was created by HrSumsemann
Hi at this time i'm using a Devo 7. Now I want to replace it by a better one (6s, 8s, 10). The problem is I don't know which I should take.

I want one which has enough place for a few models (I think all of them have enough with min 13 Helis ;)), enough stick for different fly modes, auto rotation, kill switch and so on, you know ;)

So which one is your favorite? :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2014 21:20 #26116 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic Devo 6s, 8s or 10 what's your meaning
Take a look at PhracturedBlue's article www.deviationtx.com/articles/21-which-devo-tx-should-i-buy

More
20 Oct 2014 21:22 #26117 by HrSumsemann
Replied by HrSumsemann on topic Devo 6s, 8s or 10 what's your meaning
I've read this artice, but I wanted to know some user experiences ;)
Out of the article I would say the Devo 10 is the one with most functions and the cheapest I saw in internet

More
21 Oct 2014 05:17 #26120 by suzali
Replied by suzali on topic Devo 6s, 8s or 10 what's your meaning
I started with 7e, due to the low price. Did almost all mods, like two modules, 2 x 3 switches, range mod and was very happy with it.
Always thought Devo 10 would be my next upgrade. I don't need a touch screen or color display...

Then I made a great bargain. Very cheap used 6e.
In short: I don't use the 7e anymore. Color touch screen is a lot better than all the posts I had read before say. I do a lot of model.ini modifications in field. I never ever want to do this with the small b&w no touch display anymore.

More
21 Oct 2014 06:58 #26122 by HrSumsemann
You mean 6s?
Yeah i also think the Touchscreen is cool for Modifications, i like the Rotation Sticks of the 7 and 12 to Change max throttle and gyro sensibility. Is that also so easy to make on Touchscreen While flying?

More
21 Oct 2014 12:11 #26123 by marcoose
Replied by marcoose on topic Devo 6s, 8s or 10 what's your meaning
I have the 10 and am very happy, but my only comparison is the 7e. I didn't even power it up, just re-sold it immediately because it was too small for my liking. I occasionally tweak models in the field but primarily just partially set up one flight mode on the TX and then do cut/paste/modify on the computer, so for me the touch screen wouldn't be of that much use. When actually flying I don't really look at the screen... just rely on the vibration/beep for battery timer.

More
21 Oct 2014 12:45 #26125 by suzali

HrSumsemann wrote: You mean 6s?

Yes 6s is right.

More
21 Oct 2014 12:55 #26126 by HrSumsemann
Ah ok :) And can you tell me something about the modification of some settings like sensibility "in fly", is that possible or have I make it in idle?

More
21 Oct 2014 16:24 #26129 by mikemacwillie
Replied by mikemacwillie on topic Devo 6s, 8s or 10 what's your meaning
I started with the Devo 10, then moved up to the 12S. The Devo 10 probably has the best value vs functionality. There are more than enough switches for flight mode selection.

More
21 Oct 2014 17:00 #26132 by suzali

HrSumsemann wrote: .... make it in idle?

exactly !

More
21 Oct 2014 21:43 #26139 by TomPeer
Replied by TomPeer on topic Devo 6s, 8s or 10 what's your meaning
I have a 10, 8s and 12s. I would never buy a 12 s again. in the field i realy do not like this one. To bulky for me.
The 8s and the 10 i do like a lot.
In practice, i use the devo 10 the most of the time. The 8s has the more prettier screen, but in the field i do not look at the screen.
The feeling is almost the same.
If i had no tx and i had to buy just 1, then it would be a devo 10 or 8s, depends on the budget and how important a color touch screen is for you.

good luck

More
22 Oct 2014 03:54 #26144 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic Devo 6s, 8s or 10 what's your meaning
I bought one of the first Devo8 transmitters when they came out and then added the module to make it a 8s and i love it, it fits my hands near perfect and i have had no problems with it....now with that being said i recently got a great deal on a new Devo12 for $300 off ebay , not the 12s but its the same only the module and tent of the chrome is different....i have to agree with TomPeer the 12 is a bit to large and bulky and i find it sometimes aggravating to reach some of the switches while flying but i haven't flew with it very much at all and perhaps after a while i will be loving it as much as my Devo8...Only thing i HATE about the Devo8 is they didn't put a rotary Aux knob on it and i feel every transmitter now days needs a rotary AUX knob ....i don't know what the heck Walkera was thinking for not putting one on the 8...:(
The devo12 has two of them plus has 2 sliders on each side...:)

More
22 Oct 2014 13:37 #26145 by HrSumsemann
Thanks for your Posts. I think about 6s or the 10.
I think the devo 6 with Touch Screen is Nice for Setting up easily. But While flying i dont Look on screen so offen ;) and the pro for the devo 10 is, that it has lot of Switches. But i don't know whether i Need that much Switches and the potentiometer.

More
23 Oct 2014 05:45 #26147 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Devo 6s, 8s or 10 what's your meaning
I bought a Mini CP + Devo7E to see what deviation was like, and was pretty much sold. Very similar to OpenTX, with much better hardware to choose from. The 7e being to limited - even with all the mods available at the time - I bought a 10, but kept the 7e because it was fine for flying most of my indoor 'copters and I liked the smaller size for that. I eventually decided to buy a 6s instead of modding the 7e because I wanted the extra switches (the 2 3-way mod wasn't known then), and to try the touch screen.

The 10 is the best buy of the bunch. Costs less than the 6s and provides more functionality.

The 7e can be modded to provide all the functionality of the 6s - but the 6s has a number of other differences. The one win for the 7e (other than cost) is that I find buttons on the 6s touch screen hard to hit reliably - especially value scrollers. A stylus should help with that, but I haven't tried one yet. You can use the buttons as on the 7e/10, but that's a bit more work on the 6s.

The 6s has better hardware than the 7e, which is why it costs more. Most important, it has noticeably better gimbals. I don't know if you could put those in a 7e or not. The CPU also has more memory, and IIUC more crunch. So whereas there are caveats and exceptions when using devaition on the 7e (don't forget to install the protocols, no multi-language support, no home page layout editor, and possibly others), the 6s works just like all the other transmitters.

While I recommend the 7e as an entry-level Tx, or to see what deviationTx (or open source firmware on a Tx) is like, I wouldn't recommend it for much else. It's only strong point is that it's cheap. That helps if you're going to mod it heavily as you're not risking much if you have an oops moment, but most of the mods are to give it features the other Tx's come with. It's also nice to have a cheap Tx to hand to someone you don't really trust (like my kids or cousins).

But unless you're going to fly nothing but cheap indoor heli's and quads, even a relatively inexpensive outdoor hobby-grade craft costs near as much as a 12s. Since your Tx is you sole connection to hundreds of dollars worth of kit way over your head, money spent to improve that connection - like with better gimbals - is well spent.

BTW, a lot of the Walkera aircraft can be found in RTF form with a variety of transmitters. There are some real deals to be had that way, so you might check for those if you're interested in a Walkera aircraft of some kind.

FWIW, still love that Mini CP!

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
23 Oct 2014 11:12 #26149 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic Devo 6s, 8s or 10 what's your meaning
..."no home page layout editor"
What do you mean by this?
The 7e has an editor for configuring object positions and it works.
..at least with the last nightly version from HappyHarry.

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02

More
23 Oct 2014 13:25 #26150 by mwm
The main page config stuff has been added since I sold mine, so my information may be dated. Or my misreading of the manual. Or both. Sorry about the mistake.

According to the 4.0.1 manual, what's missing is the ability to create new objects on the main page. So while you have an editor, it's missing a major feature.

Since the nightlies are using a new compiler that generates more compact code, this may no longer be true. Can you check it?

But the worrying problem isn't so much what's missing, it's that the 7e has pretty much run out of room. So while you may be ok with what the 7e is missing now, you may not be with the next release.

More
23 Oct 2014 14:34 #26151 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic Devo 6s, 8s or 10 what's your meaning
From this point of view you are right.
If it runs out of space and I really need that stuff, a white 10, because of its
new antenna socket, would be the choice.
Missing hardware extensions, I would go with Taranis, hoping the Universal Modul becomes true or......... a porting of Deviation.....
Never ever will I get a Touchy. For years I flew oily planes and I know
how my fingers then looked. :lol:

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02

More
23 Oct 2014 14:39 #26152 by mwm
I keep looking at the Taranis and wondering how I could justify the cost :-). The voice warnings would be nice, since I have to check the screen to verify that yes, I'm really hitting a timing/flight battery warning, not a Tx battery warning. But at $200+ for the Tx, and then another $100 in modules to fly what I fly now, never mind what I'd like to fly, just seems like a lot for it. If I could yank the universal module and the CYRF from my 10 and use those, maybe. But not as things stand now.

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds