Safe value?

More
05 Nov 2014 21:21 - 05 Nov 2014 21:23 #26292 by dawsonmobley
Safe value? was created by dawsonmobley
I am having this screen popup whenever I turn my devo7e on. it says

ch3 is 1%
safe value= -100%

and I hit ok and it goes on to the model and flies just fine.

How do I get rid of that warning? I have fiddled around trying to find the cause for an hour and nothing gets rid of that warning except going into the mixer menu for channel 3, setting "safety" to ele , and "safe val" to -100. After that the warning is gone but I have no forward ele control, only reverse.

Any help would be great

Dawson
Last edit: 05 Nov 2014 21:23 by dawsonmobley.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2014 22:46 - 05 Nov 2014 22:50 #26294 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Safe value?
Could be a number of issues. It's trying to warn you that the throttle is not 0 when you switch to a model, or turn on the Tx with that model active.

If channel 3 is the throttle, go to the monitor page and check that when the throttle is all the way down, you get a -100% output value. If you don't, then go to the transmitter menu, and calibrate your transmitter. That will make the warning only appear when it should, instead of every time.

If channel 3 isn't the throttle, then you can get this warning on the correct channel by doing:
  1. Go to the USB menu, and turn on USB drive.
  2. Plug the transmitter into a computer USB port.
  3. FInd the new USB drive on the computer. Mount it, or turn off autoplay, or whatever your computer requires you to do to access files on the drive.
  4. On the drive, find the models directory.
  5. Edit the file model#.ini, where # is the model number that's having problems.
  6. Find the string "[safety]" (with brackets, without quotes), and below it it should say "Auto=min". Chang the word "Auto" to "THR"
  7. Save the file.
  8. Eject the disk on your OS, and turn off the transmitter.

Or if you don't mind the aircraft taking flight when you switch to a model or turn on the radio, then try deleting both lines. I haven't tried it, so I'm not sure what will happen.

Sorry but, there is no way to do this on the Tx.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.
Last edit: 05 Nov 2014 22:50 by mwm. Reason: Fix task list to edit safety, add note about no way to do it on tx.

More
06 Nov 2014 02:35 - 06 Nov 2014 02:35 #26296 by dawsonmobley
Replied by dawsonmobley on topic Safe value?

mwm wrote: Could be a number of issues. It's trying to warn you that the throttle is not 0 when you switch to a model, or turn on the Tx with that model active.

If channel 3 is the throttle, go to the monitor page and check that when the throttle is all the way down, you get a -100% output value. If you don't, then go to the transmitter menu, and calibrate your transmitter. That will make the warning only appear when it should, instead of every time.

If channel 3 isn't the throttle, then you can get this warning on the correct channel by doing:

3. FInd the new USB drive on the computer. Mount it, or turn off autoplay, or whatever your computer requires you to do to access files on the drive.
  5. Edit the file model#.ini, where # is the model number that's having problems.
  6. Find the string "[safety]" (with brackets, without quotes), and below it it should say "Auto=min". Chang the word "Auto" to "THR"
  7. Save the file.

Or if you don't mind the aircraft taking flight when you switch to a model or turn on the radio, then try deleting both lines. I haven't tried it, so I'm not sure what will happen.

Channel 3 is elevator. I'll try what you said and report back. So basically your saying the TX thinks channel 3 is the throttle channel for some reason and since the ele. channel is centered that may be the reason it's giving the warning?
Last edit: 06 Nov 2014 02:35 by dawsonmobley.

More
06 Nov 2014 02:50 #26297 by dawsonmobley

dawsonmobley wrote:

mwm wrote: Could be a number of issues. It's trying to warn you that the throttle is not 0 when you switch to a model, or turn on the Tx with that model active.

7. Save the file.

Channel 3 is elevator. I'll try what you said and report back. So basically your saying the TX thinks channel 3 is the throttle channel for some reason and since the ele. channel is centered that may be the reason it's giving the warning?

Ok, edited the ini as you instructed and that seems to have worked, no more warning. Any idea why it would have done this in the first place though?

I am using this devo7e as a trainer tx to connect to my devo8s and I simply copied the ini files for the models I want to use for buddyboxing over to the 7e to save some time setting up new models. I do not get this warning on the devo8s when loading these same model files so maybe something doesn't translate over right from the 8s to the 7e?

More
06 Nov 2014 03:14 #26298 by mwm
Yup. If you look at the mixer, it shows the default usage for each channel for the selected protocol. "Auto" chooses the throttle channel based on that. Setting it to "THR" will use the throttle stick input.

This feature isn't very well documented. Looking at the code, it defaults to CH3 if it gets confused, which may be what's happening to you.

More
06 Nov 2014 05:23 #26301 by dawsonmobley

mwm wrote: Yup. If you look at the mixer, it shows the default usage for each channel for the selected protocol. "Auto" chooses the throttle channel based on that. Setting it to "THR" will use the throttle stick input.

This feature isn't very well documented. Looking at the code, it defaults to CH3 if it gets confused, which may be what's happening to you.

I think I understand...thanks for the help!

More
04 Dec 2014 23:04 - 04 Dec 2014 23:06 #26772 by RobC62
Replied by RobC62 on topic Safe value?
I am new to this firmware today - and I have the same issue. It only happens, as far as I can tell, when in DSM2/DSMX modes. Could be due to those protocols 'expecting' channel 3 to be 'Throttle',when in Mode2 it is actually the Elevator stick.

Making the change as described above in the model .ini file, does fix the problem.
Maybe it could be reported as a 'bug' and the brain that writes this stuff (way beyond my level of knowledge!!!) may be able to do something about it in future versions?

Other than that - what a cracking good bit of Firmware, and my hat is well and truly off to the developers.
I am a long time user of a modified 9X radio and also Taranis Plus more recently running ErSky9X and OpenTX, so having Deviation on a little sub-£40 priced Devo 7E is like being in a miniature home from home almost! And with the megga bonus of being able to run all those different protocols ...Heaven!
Last edit: 04 Dec 2014 23:06 by RobC62.

More
04 Dec 2014 23:35 #26773 by mwm
One way or another, I think it's a bug and should be fixed.

First, I'm confused. The mode you're flying in shouldn't change the channel output assignment. Channel 3 should always be the throttle on a DSM aircraft that has a throttle. The mode should change which stick is assigned to that channel.

Second, the Auto channel ought to be the default throttle channel for that protocol, not the stick. After all, starting your CP heli in stunt mode is a bad idea in any throttle stick position.

I'm working on the safety value stuff as my first deviation project. I think this might get a first look. But please, open an issue on the repository about this.

More
04 Dec 2014 23:47 - 05 Dec 2014 00:03 #26775 by RobC62
Am with you on it being a 'bug'.

However, Spektrum/JR/OrangeRX DSM2/X output TAER so Throt is always on Chan1. It is Futaba that is in Chan3 as the output is AETR.

OrangeRX had the same problem when they released the DSM2/X TX module that when used in Futaba/T9X systems that output AETR, did the same thing - output Throt on Chan3 of the RX's instead of Chan1. It caused uproar with the fliers who were hoping to use the module to control their Bind N Fly Horizon models etc. and even more so with the OrangeRX combined stabiliser receiver. A firmware update to the module rectified that, so it is likely this can be worked out as well.

Edit: In the model .ini file, this is the entry is has:
[mixer]
src=THR
dest=Ch3
Last edit: 05 Dec 2014 00:03 by RobC62.

More
04 Dec 2014 23:53 #26776 by mwm
Naming 3 as the throttle was my bad (been working with non-DSM gear a lot lately).

Deviation usually gets the throttle right for DSM aircraft. Set the protocol to DSM2 or DSMX when you set up the model, and it generally just works.

For Safety switches, the Auto value tries to find the throttle, but if it fails it defaults to channel 3. That's where this issue is coming from. Personally, I haven't seen it.

Again, please file an issue in the deviation repository. Describing the exact set of steps taken in setting up the model would be very useful.

More
05 Dec 2014 00:05 #26777 by RobC62
Will do. Pretty poor show to complain on first day of use though! It's just not cricket is it! :P :evil:

More
05 Dec 2014 00:15 #26778 by mwm
As a software developer, I'd much rather have someone complain about a bug - especially if they're willing to help with the diagnosis and fix - than just quietly live with it. And first day users are liable to complain about the things that long-term users have learned to work around or live with.

The safety values are an incredible feature that no other Tx software I know of has. Some have input settings, but that's not nearly as nice, because it requires tracking changes to the config if you really want output warnings - which is usually the case! They really need to be in the manual, and working a bit more reliably wouldn't hurt.

More
05 Dec 2014 00:32 #26781 by RobC62
Point taken on the bug report. I also tend to 'work around' little bugs on ErSky9X and OpenTX as well1 hahah!!

And this is a really nice bit of software, and I was really pleased with how slick it is overall.

I will pop a report on there in the morning - and in addition will add pics of when the issue first happens - which is the instant I hit the 'bind' process button for DSM2/X protocols. The little warning screen comes up with 'Ch1 is 0% safe value is -100' and an OK icon. Dropping right stick or hitting Ent clears it.

More
07 Dec 2014 09:07 #26835 by kreidler
Replied by kreidler on topic Safe value?

RobC62 wrote: The little warning screen comes up with 'Ch1 is 0% safe value is -100' and an OK icon. Dropping right stick or hitting Ent clears it.

It is not a warning screen only. The Tx does not transmit anything to the receiver until this message has been cleared as you described.

Some more information and undocumented features about the safety section:
deviationtx.com/forum/3-feedback-questio...safety-value-warning

More
10 Dec 2014 15:09 - 10 Dec 2014 15:10 #26870 by auceto
Replied by auceto on topic Safe value?

RobC62 wrote: Am with you on it being a 'bug'.

However, Spektrum/JR/OrangeRX DSM2/X output TAER so Throt is always on Chan1. It is Futaba that is in Chan3 as the output is AETR.

OrangeRX had the same problem when they released the DSM2/X TX module that when used in Futaba/T9X systems that output AETR, did the same thing - output Throt on Chan3 of the RX's instead of Chan1. It caused uproar with the fliers who were hoping to use the module to control their Bind N Fly Horizon models etc. and even more so with the OrangeRX combined stabiliser receiver. A firmware update to the module rectified that, so it is likely this can be worked out as well.

Edit: In the model .ini file, this is the entry is has:
[mixer]
src=THR
dest=Ch3

Hi Rob and at all,

I read the "quoted" above and I think that this may be my possible problem with the Assault 450.

Sorry if I'm posting this question here....

My Assault, with Orange satellite RX, bind correctly with DX6i (so the hely haven't any issues); with my Devo 10 and deViation 4 firmware the engine does not arm. I used reverse throttle too...but nothing.
The gyro plays lot of nice music that I'm thinking to use it as a radio for my car :woohoo:

As I say, reading the post above, I think that the problem may be the channel assignment to the throttle in DSM2 protocol...ch3 instead of 1.
For now I can't verify the ini file because I work far awat frin my home and I haven't the Devo with me

What do you think about? Can this be my problem?
Last edit: 10 Dec 2014 15:10 by auceto.

More
10 Dec 2014 16:12 #26871 by RobC62
That would explain the problem with your heli.

More
10 Dec 2014 17:42 #26872 by auceto
Replied by auceto on topic Safe value?

RobC62 wrote: That would explain the problem with your heli.

Saturday, when I came back home, I'll see the ini file in the point that you have suggested....
then I report here

More
23 Dec 2014 17:46 #27165 by mwm
If either of the people who are having problems with this are still listening, could you let me know 1) which channel was being reported as a problem; 2) what protocol you selected for that model, and 3) the mix you have in place for that output channel?

Or if you've opened an issue on the deviationTx repository, let me know where that is and post that info there if it isn't already.

Thanks,
Mike

More
23 Dec 2014 19:35 - 23 Dec 2014 19:38 #27168 by Indigo
Replied by Indigo on topic Safe value?
What's needed is the model.ini file.

Those who reported this problem or have seen this problem please post your model.ini file that reproduces this erroneous safety warning message.
Last edit: 23 Dec 2014 19:38 by Indigo.

More
23 Dec 2014 22:15 #27172 by mwm
Yes, the model file would be a lot more useful and probably easier to give us. Except I think I found the problem, and the model file isn't enough to recreate it.

If I change my Tx from Mode 2 to Mode 1 and power on with a DSM model active, I get the Ch3 warning. That's the elevator on a DSM model, and Mode 2 and Mode 4 swap those sticks, so this makes sense. On an EATRG models it would move to channel 1, which is the other reported behavior.

There are also mode handling issues in the emulator. Do a fresh emulator build, and then start it. Go to Transmitter Menu > Transmitter Config, and change the Mode. Modes 1 and 3 have channel 3 at -100%, and Modes 2 & 4 have channel 1 at -100%, with all others at 0 in both. I'm pretty sure the mode shouldn't be changing the output.

Just to check, are those of you having this problem using Mode 1 or 3?

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds